General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Optimum mileage drivetrain combos - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Optimum mileage drivetrain combos - ideas?

Ok, the Vista Cruiser I'm building (see the 25 dollar vista cruiser affair) will see a lot of mileage. I expect to be putting on thousands of highway miles running back and forth to swap meets and shows up and down the left coast. I'm not concerned with off the line performance really.
What I am looking for is the best combination of trans/rear end gearing to bolt in to maximize fuel economy. I will rebuild the stock 330 but put a 4 barrel on it. I've heard about these new infinitely tuneable FI systems you can bolt on to any engine - has anyone got any feedback on those?
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM

I know Holley makes a "bolt on and go" EFI system. I like it, but your talking about $2000 for it.

Behind your 330, I would think either a 200R4 or 700R4 tranny with the vacuum conversion to shift into overdrive and some low gears. 2.73 is a nice cruising gear and doesn't leave too make accel behind. 3.08 would be better but my personal choice would be 3.42's It'sa nice all around gear. Not too crazy and still a decent accelration with it.

I currently have 2.73's in my Delta, it's not a bad gear. The car does move, but I couldn't think of going lower
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:23 PM

If you go with a four-barrel, make it a Quadrajet. They have a good reputation for economy.
As for the transmission, a 200R4 and 3.08s would do a good job. You could run higher gears, but if off-the-line performance isn't your priority, then this won't matter.
Build the 330 with decent compression and an RV cam, and you should have decent mileage.
If you go completely insane, you could rig up an EFI unit from a mid-70s Cadillac Seville, or even (if you have no care at all for acceleration) drop in a 350 diesel.....
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Thanks for the input gents.

I was told 200r4 or 700r4 but I wanted confirmation from people who use similar set ups.
I'm going to pretend I didn't see the word "diesel".....
by the way nice quote from the founder of Jaguar - I'm a big Jag fan too - I have a series 2 XJ6 RHD from Australia.

Ron
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Registered car nut

Love the plan! More power to ya for wanting to drive a cool car more than just sundays and car shows.
Here is a thread on ecomodder about an Olds getting good MPG.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...8-a-17564.html

Lots of good tips on that site.