General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Master cylinder for '68 442 - questions

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Master cylinder for '68 442 - questions

I have 3 questions, regarding the correct master cylinder for a '68 442.

My car is a factory front disk/rear drum power brake vehicle. The current master cylinder on my car has two wire clips that seal the top of the master cylinder to the body rather than one long wire clip.

1) I would like to keep the car "stock" and am wondering if the master sold by Inline Tube (MotorCityMuscleCar on E-Bay) is the correct part? Or, if someone has another source that is correct for a new master cylinder?

2) How do I tell if I have the Moiraine or Bendix unit? The shop manual seems to indicate the 442's like mine would be Moiraine (if I am reading the text correctly)?

3) Is there a method to hold the metering valve open when bleeding the front disk brakes without using the GM tool listed in the shop manual, e.g. with a C-clamp or pliers/vice grips?

Thank in advance for any advice or guidance.

Jim
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:50 AM
InfoJunkie

Take a pic of the m/c and post it. It's a lot easier to identify parts by pic rather than by description.
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:25 AM

The correct M/C is an oval Morraine unit with two bail wires and two bleeder screws above the fluid outlets...I haven't had a problem bleeding the front discs...same as doing the drums
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

I bent up a clip out of some scrap steel for the hold-off valve up by the MC on my '68 goat.
My '71 Vista has the combination valve on the frame and I use a C clamp when I bleed those. The button when pressed allows the fluid to flow at a 1-1 ratio when bleeding.
You may not have had any problems bleeding them without doing the button yet, but the farmer's horse never died before it did either.
I've seen plenty of guys on the forums that have had problems trying to get their discs becuse they didn't have that button pressed, also have personal experience.
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I bent up a clip out of some scrap steel for the hold-off valve up by the MC on my '68 goat.
My '71 Vista has the combination valve on the frame and I use a C clamp when I bleed those. The button when pressed allows the fluid to flow at a 1-1 ratio when bleeding.
You may not have had any problems bleeding them without doing the button yet, but the farmer's horse never died before it did either.
I've seen plenty of guys on the forums that have had problems trying to get their discs becuse they didn't have that button pressed, also have personal experience.
believe it or not - you CAN find these correct rebuilt units from a regular parts store for CHeap -- compared to INLINE prices! I found one for about $20 bux for my car through Advance Auto. it was an exact original. Couldnt afford to rebuild one myself for the price of their rebuilt one!! "Gotta shop around"!!!!
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:09 PM

Thanks to all for the help.

I will look for the correct Master Cylinder.

Jim