General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Manual dissapointment

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:48 AM

Manual dissapointment

I got my manual from ebay - total cost round $30. Well really wanted it for the wiring help / a/c / dash / brakes /motor and it doesnt seem to help me much. Its a body service manual or body shop service manual and it seems to cover pulling body parts / trim off very well but not so much mechanics. There is alot of info for all the gm lines and I see where there is some wiring info for tail lights but not very clear on the rest of the car. Is there another manual I need ? what does the assembly manual have in it ? - I have a hanyes manual for a 79 regal and found it invaluable for the regal- this new 68 gm manual tho isnt. Probably my bad for expecting more info out of a body manual .
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Trying to remember member

You don't say what 68 GM manual you got, but to me there are 3 essential manuals to have for your '68 Olds:
1. 1968 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual
2. 1968 GM Fisher Body Manual
3. 1968 A-Body Product Information Manual (Cutlass/442 Assembly Manual)
I think you'll find your wiring answers there.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM

The chassis service manual gives a color schematic of wiring and other stuff you seem to want. Unless you are taking body stuff apart like windows, the body manual doesn't apply, as you found out. The assembly manual is nice to have, but less critical for most work than the chassis manual. For 68, it has a dark green cover.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM

One like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OLDSM...lenotsupported

I agree with the other guys that this one will answer the questions you have.
John
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by I8AF85
I got my manual from ebay - total cost round $30. Well really wanted it for the wiring help / a/c / dash / brakes /motor and it doesnt seem to help me much. Its a body service manual or body shop service manual and it seems to cover pulling body parts / trim off very well but not so much mechanics. There is alot of info for all the gm lines and I see where there is some wiring info for tail lights but not very clear on the rest of the car. Is there another manual I need ? what does the assembly manual have in it ? - I have a hanyes manual for a 79 regal and found it invaluable for the regal- this new 68 gm manual tho isnt. Probably my bad for expecting more info out of a body manual .
The Body Manual covers the body (doors, glass, seats, etc.). The Chassis Service Manual covers everything else.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 05:20 PM

Thanks

Hopefully this helps someone else out too.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM

I bought the Service Manual and Body Manual. They are decent quality but the binding on my Service Manual fell apart the first time I used it. It was a reprint from Fusicks. Oh well, it is a car manual. As long as I can read the words and diagrams...