General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Lookin for intake/carb advice

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:08 PM

Lookin for intake/carb advice

Im converting my 79 eldorado EFI olds 350 to carb, im looking for advice on which carb will work for the intake i end up getting. All i need is the intake and carb but i dont have many options around here that i can find. I wanted to get an A4 but the only intake i found was a 77 403 in a buick. It had the carb with it too but im not too familiar with to know what will work fine on the 350. Will it be fine? Should i look elswhere? I basically need good detailed advice on matching up a set to bolt up. Not lookin to spend alot, just want to get my caddy runnin good simple and reliable. Open to any parts offered here also. Thanks
Matt
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:11 AM

If you are looking for something easy to find then maybe a 307 intake from 80-84 would work (don't use any from 85-90 as they have smaller ports) any small block olds intake until 84 should be ok.You could use a q-jet to square bore adapter with a 570 holley street avenger to get some decent pep and economy, just make sure you block off your egr and choke, i've had good luck with these carbs on near stock motors. Or use a non computer q-jet with electric choke if you wish. The holley street avengers are getting pretty pricey now a day though
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the reply,
what I ended up getting was a nice Aluminum A4 from a member here, believe it was a 79 cutlass intake. I just got my rebuilt Qjet bolted up also, its not electric choke though. it has the choke tube fitting (which I also need now i guess) along with any plugs/fittings for the intake.
Its slowly coming along!
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:53 PM

No problem, I could be wrong but you may be able to convert that to electric choke, if you like, or just use the choke tubes, the second choice may be cheaper. Which distributor you have in there by the way ? The 4 pin or the 7 pin module? If you have the computer controlled dist. You might want to change it to the old vacum advance 4 pin module one. It'll still run with the computer controlled one but better with the older style one.
Old March 16th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Im not sure which module it has. It is a vacuum advance unit. being 79 & (from what ive heard) it is pretty much the same HEI as the others, except there is an external box on the firewall ( Electronic Spark Select) that plugs into, and controls, a speed sensor on the distributor shaft. i was told It was easily bypassed and would run fine without it. either way, I DO want to through in a standard HEI so it looks cleaner. i would have to look for one thats pre 79 right? all the 80s ones ive seen had an electrical connector on it so I assumed those wont work. Obviously Ive never swapped Dizzies before haha.
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:29 PM

Yea, somewhere between 74'-79' should work big or small block have same dist. Summit has a complete one with new 50,000v ignition coil and hi performance modulehttp://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850006/ i've bought a couple of them for some of my builds, you may be better off this route, being any used one is gonna be 30+ years old and god knows how miles on it.

Last edited by Stattiolds69; March 16th, 2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add part number
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:15 AM

The conversion is just about done. All thats left is to clean up and remove left over wiring and double check vacuum and timing after it fires up.
I ended up using an aluminum small block olds intake, rebuilt qjet, and an HEI from a non computer controlled olds 350 81 Riviera. Throttle bracket was also from the Rivi. My car has 2 fuel pumps from factory, one high pressure external pump and one low pressure intank pump. The intank pump works fine to feed the carb. By passed the external pump at the rear wheel well, I built new SS fuel line from the old line at the back of the intake around the back of the carb and up front to an inline filter with a return outlet which hooked up to the existing return line down the passenger side. I also left the factory refillable canister type filter down near the old frame mounted pump. The old analog ecu was removed and i took the lt blue wire from the blue connector that runs to the fuel pump and connected it to the gray wire from the black connector that fed the ecu power directly from the ignition switch when in the run and start possition. Thats basicaly it. Hoping to find time to have it driving this weekend. Thanks for all the help and info!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:18 AM

Glad to see your just about there. Now we need some pics.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:55 AM

Ill try to get a couple pics up tonight. Reminding everyone that i am NO proffessional at this and i could have done a lot more to freshen up things but it wasnt intended to be a project car, its my driver that i need running again! Lol. im sure there are things that i could have done different or better but this is still new to me and im learning as i go. Critisism is taken constructively so by all means gimme your opinions, i need to learn.