General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

hydromatic- jetaway

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2015, 05:36 PM

hydromatic- jetaway

Hello again from Brisbane Australia, Just thought i would give an update on the progress of my 58 olds, You guys were right about the harmonic balancer being out, I can turn it around with my hands, it was so hard to get the timing right.now i know why. Ill have to get it fixed, Also i know this may seem a simple question but how do i tell if my car has a Hydromatic or a Jetaway gearbox? Cheers, Ray. thanks for any answers in advance. :-) Oh , and i also forgot to mention i bought another voltage regulator box and it has fixed the issue with the generator light , it seems to be charging the battery fine now, NO red light, Cheers.

Last edited by piperman60; March 25th, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old March 27th, 2015, 12:22 PM

You have a Jetaway transmission in your 58 if stock. Just to make things confusing there are two transmissions with the Jetaway name, you have the first model which is the four speed.The other is a two speed and will not bolt up to your engine... Tedd
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:10 AM

Question re: Hydromatic or Jetaway

Thanks for your reply Tedd, As far as i know the car is all stock, The issue im having with the car is that it changes from 1st to 2nd very easy but as for 3rd & 4th i have to take my foot off the gas a bit and then it will change into 3rd & 4th . In your opinion are these boxes good or bad? I have read a few reports that these boxes are nothing but trouble? Its only done 98000 miles , Iv'e not had it serviced yet but could it just be in need of one? Many thanks again, Ray.
Old March 28th, 2015, 10:04 AM

They are not as strong (durable) as the transmission they replaced (the slant pan 1954 to early 1956) but generally shift smoother.I wouldn't call them bad transmissions, many have gone into the 150,000 mile range with little or no problems and the later ones have many of the problems that plagued the 56 year cars corrected.

Your shift problems may be something as simple as a adjustment of the linkage, problem is your transmission guy will have to use trial and error for that adjustment unless he has the proper gauges that are unique to those early transmissions. Doable but time consuming. Those gauges are't common in the states let alone in Australia.

I wouldn't change anything just sort out the problems you have and go from there..... Just my thoughts ....Tedd
Old March 28th, 2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by piperman60
Hello again from Brisbane Australia, Just thought i would give an update on the progress of my 58 olds, You guys were right about the harmonic balancer being out, I can turn it around with my hands, it was so hard to get the timing right.now i know why. Ill have to get it fixed, Also i know this may seem a simple question but how do i tell if my car has a Hydromatic or a Jetaway gearbox? Cheers, Ray. thanks for any answers in advance. :-) Oh , and i also forgot to mention i bought another voltage regulator box and it has fixed the issue with the generator light , it seems to be charging the battery fine now, NO red light, Cheers.
There are fellows who can rebuild the balancer for you, or you can do it yourself. I did the one on my '55 and it has been doing well. Then you will be able to get the timing right.
Tedd's comment is correct. If it's original it should be a Jetaway. You can verify by finding the serial number plate on the left side of the case to the rear of the throttle and manual levers. The serial number will begin with 058. It should appear as 058-XXXX. They started with 058-1001.

Originally Posted by piperman60
Thanks for your reply Tedd, As far as i know the car is all stock, The issue im having with the car is that it changes from 1st to 2nd very easy but as for 3rd & 4th i have to take my foot off the gas a bit and then it will change into 3rd & 4th . In your opinion are these boxes good or bad? I have read a few reports that these boxes are nothing but trouble? Its only done 98000 miles , Iv'e not had it serviced yet but could it just be in need of one? Many thanks again, Ray.
It's possible that the servicing may resolve the problem. Fresh fluid sometimes works wonders. Be sure to drain both the pan & the torus and be sure to use the correct fluid. Changes are recommended every 25,000 miles. You will need 11 +/- quarts equivalent to what was originally designated "Fluid Type A" with an Armour Qualification number as "AQ-ATF-number". If that doesn't solve the sluggish shift write back. There are other things to try.
Old March 29th, 2015, 09:28 AM

Here is a little history on the Jetaway and others that may be of interest... Tedd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydramatic
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:53 PM

Many thanks for your reply Ozzie, I had a quote of up to $550.00 to get the balancer repaired but if there is an easier and cheaper way, Im in for that, , Cheers, Ray.
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:35 PM

Give these guys a call they did my balancer a few years back and I don't remember it being anywhere near that expensive....Tedd
http://www.damperdudes.net/