General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

HELP with fabbing a bracket/spring connector

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2021, 07:03 AM

HELP with fabbing a bracket/spring connector

The situation - I have the wrong clutch fork on my car. There is no issue other than I can't hook up the clutch return spring properly - the factory clip for the fork doesn't fit. Instead of dropping the trans for a fork swap, I'd like to just fab up a clip like the factory had and use it on this fork. Trying to bend the factory piece resulted in it snapping in half - I'm assuming because I should have heated it properly and bent it that way. I would like to just fab a new bracket in the factory style, but I'm not sure where to find this high strength wire rod. Has anyone done this? What can I use to make this return spring bracket? Here is the factory piece - I need to make one skinnier and longer than this. Following that is the fork I'm working with now - you can see I have some holes I can use for a connecting point. I've tried to drill a hole in the end to make it easy, but not bit I have will touch this steel. Thanks for any suggestions!

I need to make something like this. Skinnier and longer

Here is the fork I’m working with

Old July 24th, 2021, 07:12 AM

first make sure the fork actually gives the travel needed to fully release the clutch; otherwise you will need to change the fork anyway, or use a different length ball stud. If all is OK, I would use stiff wire, either from a commercial roll sold by Lowe's etc. or maybe even a piece of coat hanger. Shape it like an omega, with the ends going through the two holes in your fork,, and the main part in the center of the fork, behind the pocket for the release rod.
Old July 24th, 2021, 07:16 AM

Everything works as it should - I wasn't even aware I had the wrong fork until I started to replace wiring and dropped the starter. The pull of the return spring is hard enough that a coat hanger wire turns to nothing in a short time. I'm wanting a hardened steel of some kind - checking Lowe's is a good idea. What about something like welding rod? This is a temporary fix that just needs to last until winter when it all comes out - otherwise I would do this right and swap the fork.
Old July 24th, 2021, 11:48 AM

Well, what is it they say about necessity and inventing...? I ended up grabbing an old 3" exhaust pipe clamp and chopping a chunk off the end and the sides, then drilling a few holes. Bolted it in to place with a couple locking nuts and it's solid as a rock.

Old July 24th, 2021, 12:34 PM

Very clever!