General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

GM Super-lift option

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:30 AM

GM Super-lift option

For the GM cars that had this air shock option (mine didn't I'm just curious) the assembly manual shows a single service point in the bumper that runs into the left shock then back out to the right shock. Does anybody reproduce these shocks where the left would have an 'in' and an 'out'?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Oldsdruid

Unless you find an NOS set, probably not.

I don't even think all the Delcos were like that. My dad's 68 ElCamino had factory installed Superlifts complete with hard metal lines, and those went from the fill valve between tailgate and bed to each individual shock.

He put a load of sawdust in it when it was about a year old and blew out the bladder on the left shock. He never had it repaired, and after that, air shocks were not a useful option. They were something that caused problems.

Never mind he never used a tire gauge on anything. He'd also complain when a vehicle handled squirrelly because one tire was 20 psi higher than the others.

Last edited by rocketraider; March 3rd, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Olds Dreamer

i dont think mine is factory because my lines look pretty new but i only have one valve stem from that to both shocks. i'm pretty sure i will look tonight. so mine should both have the same amount of air in them.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM

Here's why I asked if anybody reproduces them!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-G...Q5fAccessories
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

The price for that shock is shocking!

Both types would always have the same amount of air pressure in them unless you run two separate lines and fill fittings for the single type.

I thought they stopped making those twin fitting air shocks about 30 years ago?
The Pleasur-Lift is the last GM one I remember, could be wrong.
Why manufacture two separate shocks when you can make one that fits on either side and works just as well?

Last edited by Bluevista; March 3rd, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:03 PM

ok so I was about to post some new pics in my build thread and ask this question but it sounds like this thread just may have answered it somewhat.

So in the bumper of my cutlass, behind the license plate - there is a single schrader valve stem (bike tire valve stem). And was going to ask what was up with that since the bumper has a stamped recession that looks awful factory-ish and looks to be specifically for this valve. Their are also these little white clippies along the frame that lead towards the shocks.

I didn't realize that air shocks were a factory option.

Would this indicate my car likely had factory air shocks or is it just more of an at one point someone added a pair on there kinda thing?

Pics!:

Outside of rear bumper

White frame clips (for air lines?)

Inside of rear bumper

And since ebay links go dead-this is what the above mentioned shock looked like :
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:46 PM

I've never even seen a vehicle that had the factory setup on it, but looking at the illustration in the F85 Master Parts Catalog pertaining to the Superlift setup, it appears that these shocks are aired up using an underhood compressor. Check out this link from the July 1972 MPC:

http://oldsmobility.com/mpc/group7000/ill04.htm

You can also see how the air line does appear to enter from the front of the car, into the left shock and then crossing over into the right.

EDIT: Poking around a bit more, it appears that the underhood compressor was strictly a '66-'67 item, so it's probable that later versions were simply aired up using the valve at the rear bumper area.

Last edited by OLDSmobility; March 3rd, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM

(I realize that my posts aren't helping the OP with his question...just adding some related info to the discussion.)

Here's a scan from the '75 Olds MPC showing the Superlift shocks and components. You can see that there IS a distinction between the manual fill and automatic fill.

Old March 4th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Administrator

The valve and line shown in your pic is a monroe installation kit of recent vintage. The "t" valve airs up both the left and right shock at the same time. On most of the late 60's and early 70's rear bumper there was a provisional hole location as pictured on your car for air shocks. Remember pickups were not in every1's driveway back then and people used there family car for towing. The two shock systems of choice were AIR and COIL ASSIST.
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Coltonis
I didn't realize that air shocks were a factory option.

Would this indicate my car likely had factory air shocks or is it just more of an at one point someone added a pair on there kinda thing?
They were. As noted, all the A-body bumpers had the hole and depressed area for the Schrader valve, but the one you show is aftermarket, not factory. Not all had the on-board compressor.
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Well this doesn't help with the "who reproduces" part, but if your looking for a set...BOO-YAH!:
Its a Buy it Now so - GET IT WHILE THEY'RE HOT

(-And be grateful I didn't buy it myself and sell it to you at a 20% markup, LOL.)

After digging through some google - its looking like the version that daisy chains the air lines through the one shock were only used from 64 up until 66, (maybe 67). By 68 they were using individual lines to each shock. Also I found mention that Delco made the stock Superlift package for GM and also sold the same parts after-market under the Delco product name "Jac Pac".

That ebay auction claims the two-inlet shock system as being Delco Air Shocks #B57T (Sounds like that may be a Buick part number though)

Last edited by Coltonis; March 4th, 2011 at 10:08 AM.