General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Gas tank

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2012, 04:59 AM

Gas tank

I finally got that tank off but i want to get it boiled out v/s buying a new one.. They told me at the radiator shop that i probably needed to reline the tank is that necessary and whats the purpose?
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:12 AM

What kind of condition is it in? Reline is to seal up rust and tiny leaks. New spectra tank from rockauto is about $150
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:55 PM

It!s not worth fixing the old one- get a new spectra tank and be done with it.

Last edited by costpenn; May 14th, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You might be able to seal yours for $25-50 with a kit from the likes of POR or Eastwood, but I'm really not sure how much they're going for these days.

I agree that, all told, just buying a new one is probably cheaper, easier, and more effective.

- Eric
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by kbdecatur
I finally got that tank off but i want to get it boiled out v/s buying a new one.. They told me at the radiator shop that i probably needed to reline the tank is that necessary and whats the purpose?
Get a second opinion. The gas tank shouldn't need a 'reline'. Far as I know these tanks were never lined from the factory to start with. Take it to a shop that will clean it thoroughly and leak test it. If it's in good shape just re-use it.

The guys who are saying buy the Spectra tank? Yes Spectra (Canadian made) makes a good tank. 150.00 = maybe? Probably closer to 180.00 but you still have to pay for the ride which will likely be around 100.00 (oversize). I am putting in a new Spectra GM34R in my 72. I can buy it locally from NAPA for a decent price that makes Rock Auto look like a robber baron. I'm replacing it because this is the second time it's developed a leak. I fixed it once. This time I'm going new. And while you're at cleaning the tank, replace the sending unit and all the rubber gas lines - back and front.

Just saying to consider your options and the budget you have to work with. Choose wisely.
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Allan, mine from Rock was right at 180.00 including the freight - purchased late summer last year. Every day is a new day on their pricing - earlier this year, they were selling the tank for about 135.00.
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by costpenn
Allan, mine from Rock was right at 180.00 including the freight - purchased late summer last year. Every day is a new day on their pricing - earlier this year, they were selling the tank for about 135.00.
Gotcha! Wierd though. I just looked and they have the GM34R they listed for 150.00. Shipping to me is ONLY 199.00 I guess that's a bit of a deal breaker from my point of view. My price at NAPA is 219.00 + tax - no shipping. For some reason the cross border shipping experience just about always leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I've sent some stuff to folks in the US who have questioned the price I quote from the post office for shipping. They are so used to the 'inner border' shipping which is a lot cheaper. It's like that in Canada too, but we get screwed on just about everything that has to do with shipping. ....sigh......