General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

fuel line installation

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2011, 05:33 PM

fuel line installation

I have a 1970 442 and would like to install new fuel lines. Has anyone out there replaced fuel lines in this year / model car ? Is it even possible to replace the fuel lines without lifting the car off the ground or taking the car apart ?

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this, best way to feed the lines through over the rear axle / frame ? Is there enough clearance ? How do you get the screws out from "over the frame" locations above the rear suspension. I started looking at the lines a few days ago and a bunch of dirt fell in my eyes. Like a dummy I wasn't wearing safety glasses.

I have some pre-bent fuel lines from Inline Tube. Is there any tricks to getting these things in without asking for major frustration ?

Help !

Thanks, Mike
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Is there anything wrong with the lines you've got in there now?

- Eric
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Randy C.

Here's what we did with my '68 convertible 4-4-2. The original fuel lines were rotten - they had to go. I was told you can install new fuel lines without taking the body off the frame. That's not true for '68 and I highly suspect the same is true for '70. So, we put the car up on a lift, loosened all the body-to-frame bolts (didn't remove them, just loosened them), used a transmission jack with a 3/4" square of plywood and used it to push up from the bottom against the underside of the trunk (gas tank removed). That effort lifted the body off the frame just enough that we could snake the new fuel lines between the body and the frame through the passenger rear wheel opening, lead the forward ends of the fuel lines up towards the engine, and then do a little bending to get the back part of the fuel lines in where they meet the gas tank. While the body was lifted, we attached the new fuel lines at the point on the frame in the wheel opening, while we could still get at it, with the old bracket and screw. The rest took a little finessing here and there, but it all worked out in the end.

Randy C.
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:32 PM

I had a feeling there was more to this than simply "taking out the old and putting in the new". I'm not ready to start lifting the body off the frame as it sounds much more involved than I want to get right now. I'll just replace the rubber sections of fuel line for now and the forward steel lines. I think I'll wait to do the longer steel lines and replace the body mounts at the same time.

Randy, thanks for the input...if I did want to replace the body mounts during the later fuel line installation, do you think there would be enough clearance to get the new body mounts in also ?

Thanks again, Mike
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:37 PM

Last night I spent a few hours looking over my fuel lines. I did the minimal amount of work for now and just replaced all the rubber fuel lines and the front section of hard lines feeding them through from the rear of the frame just below the front wheel well. I'll save the long steel lines for a later date when I have more time and access to a lift ( like Randy said ).