General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Front and rear window trim istall?

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Front and rear window trim istall?

Hey guys I recently painted my 72 cutlass s and im in the process of putting it back together. I was told that after installing my new clips around the windows the trim should just snap down over them, is it really this easy? I hope somebody can help thanks.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:29 AM

Well, it can be but it can be a little tougher at times. First be sure you have the correct clips . When you install them, the top of the clip should sit fairtly even to the top of the body in that area. Make sure the back of the molding isn't bent when it comes in contact with the clip or that will give you trouble and I would take some time to clean and polish your trim if you haven't already done so. Assemble the moldings on the car where they will be installed to be sure you understand the order in which they should be installed. Once you are ready, try pressing the trim down over the clip. You may need to tap on them a little with your hand but don't go crazy or you could dent or bend the trim. The corners are the tightest areas and use care so you don't chip the paint. It helps to have second set of hands and eyes if you haven't done this before. Just be sure you are ready to put them in place as they require a special tool to remove them. If you have that tool or would use it, just remember to keep the tool flat to the glass and don't ever try to lift up on the tool to force the molding off. Windshields can get broken that way.

A little tip is to place a piece of masking tape on the glass where each clip is located. That way when you have the moldings covering the clips, you will know where they are and thus, where to push.
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by B-Mann
Hey guys I recently painted my 72 cutlass s and im in the process of putting it back together. I was told that after installing my new clips around the windows the trim should just snap down over them, is it really this easy? I hope somebody can help thanks.
Yes, it's really that easy. The masking tape trick is a good idea. I like to put a little seam sealer on the back of the clip before installing it so that when you scratch the paint installing the clip over the little stud, rust won't start on the bare metal.
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:35 AM

Thanks guys itwas realy that easy lol.