General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

followup question on 82 olds with diesel

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM

Question followup question on 82 olds with diesel

What about the wiring harness. It is now set up for a diesel can i change the one i have or would it be better to just buy a new engine harness for gas since this harness is almost 30 years old and will it plug into the wiring box in place of the diesel harness.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Past Administrator

I would not know for sure if both engines used the same fuse block, I am sure the harnesses would be different though as the engines had different sensors and accessories in different locations. I think you would be better off getting a new harness altogether.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I would not know for sure if both engines used the same fuse block, I am sure the harnesses would be different though as the engines had different sensors and accessories in different locations. I think you would be better off getting a new harness altogether.
Can you even get a new harness for a 1982 Olds fullsize? In any case, if you did it would have all the interfaces for the computer controlled carb and distributor on the 307. I don't think that's what you want to install. Get a 1982 Chassis Service manual and wiring diargram. The only real difference will be the feed for the distributor. You will need to find an ignition switched +12V source for the HEI. Everything else (alternator, A/C) should be fine. You can likely just disconnect the diesel-specific sensors, such as the water in the fuel sensor.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:12 AM

You will have a difference in the ignition system. If I remember correctly the the ignition switch on the diesel when turned on heated the glow plugs first then a light on the dash let you know you could crank the engine when you turned the key to the crank position it operated a solenoid that allowed the fuel to flow to the injectors. In revearse when you shut the ignition of it cut of the fuel to the injectors so the engine would shut off. This whole system has to be changed to a normal gas ignition system.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM

All you need is a keyed 12 volt wire, for the HEI. Leave the diesel related wires off. The vacuum modulator for the trans needs to be one for a gas car. The cruise control needs to be from a gas car. I have done the diesel convertion and it was NOT worth the effort. Better off just getting a gas engine (350/403) and drop it in.

Gene
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:59 AM

we dropped a Gas into a diesel car. we just ran a hot wire from the AUX of the fuse box to the distributor. the only sensors we used were the oil pressure and temp sensor. we used the alternator brackets and alternator from the diesel but just used one battery. also used the diesel wire harness, just used the wires for the two sensors and the starter is the same hookup.you will have to use the hydro boost brake system. you should not have to change anything for the transmission. i think the detent cable will even fit the carb over the injector pump. if you convert your diesel to gas i think you will want to use heads with a bigger cc because the diesel uses a flat top piston and i believe it also uses a little higher deck height. if you use a small cc head you will have to high compression for road use. it would be easier to change the entire engine.

back to the harness. if you get a set of aftermarket gauges you wont need the sensor wires. if you want to use the A/C just hook the A/C wires back up to the compressor.
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Smile 82 cutlass with diesel

I wish to thank all those of you who responded to my problem this is my first olds so it all kind of new.