General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

floor shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM

floor shifter problem

I have an 84' 2 door cutlass with the factory floor shift and console. I swapped engine and trans. (removed the 84' 307 and 200c and replaced it with a rebuilt 77' olds 350 and a rebuilt 77' TH 350 trans,)

the floor shift cable wouldn't work, I went to a 77' cable(too long)..I ended up removing ALL linkages and running a B & M cable directly...the cable works fine, but the car will start in Reverse and DRIVE and I have no reverse lights....

Has anyone ran into this kind of problem and, HOW did you fix it?

Help!!!
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fred franklin
I have an 84' 2 door cutlass with the factory floor shift and console. I swapped engine and trans. (removed the 84' 307 and 200c and replaced it with a rebuilt 77' olds 350 and a rebuilt 77' TH 350 trans,)

the floor shift cable wouldn't work, I went to a 77' cable(too long)..I ended up removing ALL linkages and running a B & M cable directly...the cable works fine, but the car will start in Reverse and DRIVE and I have no reverse lights....

Has anyone ran into this kind of problem and, HOW did you fix it?

Help!!!
Did you reinstall the backdrive rod that goes from the trans to the steering column? It is required to operate the backup light switch (which is in the column) and the mechanical lockout on the ignition lock cylinder (there is no longer an electrical neutral safety switch). If you did reinstall the rod, then it sounds like it is not adjusted properly.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Did you reinstall the backdrive rod that goes from the trans to the steering column? It is required to operate the backup light switch (which is in the column) and the mechanical lockout on the ignition lock cylinder (there is no longer an electrical neutral safety switch). If you did reinstall the rod, then it sounds like it is not adjusted properly.
No, didn't reinstall the backdrive rod...we got rid of it...would you have any Idea where a could possibly purchase one?
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Past Administrator

Fred, welcome to CO and hope you locate the rod you need.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by fred franklin
No, didn't reinstall the backdrive rod...we got rid of it...would you have any Idea where a could possibly purchase one?
according to my guy, we had to do away with the rods...I currently have the B & M cable, and everything that hooks to the shifter part on the trans.(I'm not close to a mechanic) I'm mechanically challenged so you might have to go step by step with me on this....