General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Crank verification

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2016, 11:46 AM

Crank verification
Yes.

Yes.

No.

Old September 9th, 2016, 11:53 AM
CJG

Ahhh I gotcha. Well lets see what I can't find out.
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:54 AM
CJG

Originally Posted by jaunty75

Yes.

Lol!
Yes.

No.

Old September 9th, 2016, 01:21 PM
CJG

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
My point is that a non-factory flexplate may have been made such that the balance weight should be on the block side, not the trans side. I can only speak with certainty on how factory parts were made.
Ok. He says that since this is a "thick" flexplate, the weight goes towards the block so the converter has a flat surface to mount to. Is this "thick" flexplate going to interfere with my clearance on my spacer kit for my Chevy trans to bolt up? Lol.
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CJG
Ok. He says that since this is a "thick" flexplate, the weight goes towards the block so the converter has a flat surface to mount to. Is this "thick" flexplate going to interfere with my clearance on my spacer kit for my Chevy trans to bolt up? Lol.
No idea, as you are now combining several aftermarket parts not necessarily designed to work together. I've only ever used a factory flexplate and correct BOP trans and obviously had no issues with that.
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:29 PM
CJG

I know I'm getting annoying and I apologize. This is the first time I've ever messed with a motor to this extent and doing it as a father son bonding thing and with all the frustrations it's backfiring and he is losing interest. Just Need to get it figured out. I guess at this point I'll just bolt it on and see what happens. I really do appreciate all the help!
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:10 PM

I know its nice to have new parts, but... if you paid $119 for the aftermarket one you could purchase several good used ones for that price. Can you return it and get your money back?

John
Old September 10th, 2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by CJG
I know I'm getting annoying and I apologize. This is the first time I've ever messed with a motor to this extent and doing it as a father son bonding thing and with all the frustrations it's backfiring and he is losing interest. Just Need to get it figured out. I guess at this point I'll just bolt it on and see what happens. I really do appreciate all the help!
I'm sorry your having so much problem with this step. And I hope your son gets excited about the project once your through this and actually able to drive the car. Attached are some pictures of the factory flex plate. As I looked at it I could see the old stain from the crankshaft, showing the location of the check mark. I'd want $35 plus shipping for one of these with good teeth. Maybe someone closer could provide one at a similar cost to get it to you quicker and keep your project moving forward? John

DSCN6953.jpg

DSCN6952.jpg
Old September 12th, 2016, 04:13 PM
CJG

Sorry I was sick as a dog all weekend. Still am really lol. I have had a couple people tell me this one should work. As long as my clearance with converter is still good I should be fine. I'm going to try it and if not I will have you send me one. Thanks again!
Old September 13th, 2016, 05:04 PM
CJG

Ok. Flexplate bolted on. Looks ok. Now I thought my transdapt kit had the bolts for converter to Flexplate but I was wrong. So this Flexplate needs bolts with nuts. How in the world do I figure out what size/length bolts I need? I know thread won't matter other than the nuts matching but I see they can only stick through so far without causing major issues. I love oldsmobiles but I think this will be my last, powertrain anyway lol!
Old September 13th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CJG
Ok. Flexplate bolted on. Looks ok. Now I thought my transdapt kit had the bolts for converter to Flexplate but I was wrong. So this Flexplate needs bolts with nuts. How in the world do I figure out what size/length bolts I need? I know thread won't matter other than the nuts matching but I see they can only stick through so far without causing major issues. I love oldsmobiles but I think this will be my last, powertrain anyway lol!
I hate to say it, but you kind of brought this on yourself. You bought a bunch of mismatched, aftermarket, and unknown parts. It's no surprise that issues came up. With all factory parts this would have been a Saturday's job. There's nothing wrong with using the parts you did, but the more you deviate from stock, the more potential for exactly the problems you've had. Those of us who have done this for years are neither surprised nor fazed by it, but for a newbie, it can be daunting. This is a lesson-learned.
Old September 13th, 2016, 05:33 PM
CJG

Yes I realize I brought it on myself. I just went kinda with the hand that was dealt me, more or less. I just hate asking for help, especially when there is obviously not an easy answer lol. I guess the best way is to just slide the tranny up into place and try to take some measurements the best I can and go from there. Would grade 5 be ok or should I get grade 8 stuff?