General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Crank verification

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2016, 10:49 AM
CJG

Crank verification

Can someone verify to ease my nerves if this is a 425 crank by this picture?
Old September 5th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Yes it is. Early 400/425 (they use the same crank).
Old September 5th, 2016, 12:37 PM
CJG

Ok thank you! I feel better now about buying one. I posted a pic somewhere of one online for sale but not sure if it's correct? It just says olds v8 no specifics. Its only like 40 bucks so I'm hoping it's the right one.
Old September 5th, 2016, 02:02 PM
CJG

Ok now about the headers, they are hooker comp headers I believe shorts, an I correct in thinking I need the tranny bolted up before modifying the one on the drivers side find it? The passenger side one we got in with little trouble but the drivers side appears to be hitting the proportioning valve and it's probably too late cuz father in law already hear it and pounded the cheap out of it to the point it's half the diameter it was on that tube. In sure it can be cut out and new pope welded in but I'm thinking trans needs to be attached so we know exactly where it will be sitting ?
Old September 5th, 2016, 08:37 PM
same but different

Pounding that exhaust tube isn't the end of the world, but maybe you should have moved the proportioning valve...just a little to the top of the frame. That is part of using headers in the oldsmobile world, sometimes you have to ding it or move it. Or do some more internet searching first.

At this point, run it. Dont' try to remove that tube or weld it..or what ever.

The transmission should have no effect on the header tubes with two exceptions. The Shift Linkage/floor shifter bracket at the valve body, or the back drive linkage near the firewall .
Old September 6th, 2016, 03:06 AM
CJG

Ok. It we will run it if we canngetbit all in there. It appears that once the trans is attached the back of the motor will "squat" a bit possibly changing where the headers will ultimately possibly interfere is what in was going by I guess.
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:01 AM
CJG

Also, supposedly this motor, well crank anyway, has been balanced. Will that make a difference as far as what flexplate I need? The one I'm going to order does have a weight on it so I'm just trying to save another major headache before it comes I guess lol!
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CJG
Also, supposedly this motor, well crank anyway, has been balanced. Will that make a difference as far as what flexplate I need? The one I'm going to order does have a weight on it so I'm just trying to save another major headache before it comes I guess lol!
Depends on how it was balanced. If it was balanced to stock specs, a stock replacement flexplate will be fine. If it was balanced WITH the flexplate and balancer, you're kinda screwed without that flexplate.
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:16 AM
CJG

Well it came with a new harmonic balancer that looked like it was never installed, as well as a new flexplate,which we now know could not ever work, so I'm inclined to believe it was never balanced. Is that possible? And so if that's the case will this flexplate I'm ordering work even lol. I'm so lost. Never buy something that has no info with it ugh.
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CJG
Well it came with a new harmonic balancer that looked like it was never installed, as well as a new flexplate,which we now know could not ever work, so I'm inclined to believe it was never balanced. Is that possible? And so if that's the case will this flexplate I'm ordering work even lol. I'm so lost. Never buy something that has no info with it ugh.
Unfortunately, if it isn't stock, you don't know what was done to it. It sounds like the balance was to stock specs, so you may be fine. Unfortunately, there's no way to know.
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:22 AM
CJG

Ok So if I put it all together and it isn't right, will it just vibrate? Will it ruin anything? And then if it's not right what do I need to do to make it right? Disassemble while motor and take to machine shop? I guess I'm at no turning back now stage. I guess I order a flexplate, put it in and cross my fingers.
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CJG
Ok So if I put it all together and it isn't right, will it just vibrate?
Yes

Will it ruin anything?
Only if you continue to run it that way for a length of time (like hours)

And then if it's not right what do I need to do to make it right? Disassemble while motor and take to machine shop?
Unfortunately, yes.

I guess I'm at no turning back now stage. I guess I order a flexplate, put it in and cross my fingers.
That's about your only realistic choice. Do you have access to an engine run stand? It would be nice to be able to run the engine before dropping it in the car.
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:53 AM
CJG

OK
OK
UGH, OK
AND NO. I have asked around and nobody I know has any access to one. Also, thinking all I needed to do was bolt a flexplate on and go, I already put motor in and have pretty much everything other than one header and the tranny in and hooked up lol.
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:06 PM
CJG

Got a flexplate. Any specific tightening sequence or torque spec for the bolts to the crank? Any special way to line the holes up?
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CJG
Got a flexplate. Any specific tightening sequence or torque spec for the bolts to the crank? Any special way to line the holes up?
The holes are not symmetric and will only align one way. The torque spec on the flexplate bolts is 60 ft-lbs. Use a star pattern, like on wheel lug nuts.
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:17 PM
CJG

Got it. Thanks Joe!
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:28 PM
CJG

Oh, also I was wondering if the 68 F2 on the right side of the block mean anything?
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:46 PM
same but different

To the best of my knowledge that references the casting box design the block was cast in. Say, a different version than the F1. Probably just a minor change.

You have a year code stamped below the #1 cyln. with vin derivative. The month and day code is near the distributor hole. You'll see probably 3 numbers, with what looks like screw heads, but cast into the block it self.

If you want to post those we'll sure decipher them.
Old September 8th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

This IS a 455 block casting number, correct?
Old September 8th, 2016, 03:43 PM
CJG

Yes
Old September 8th, 2016, 04:14 PM
CJG

Ok how, now you have me worried about why you asked that lol. I'm about to bolt on the flexplate and get ready to install the tranny.
Old September 8th, 2016, 04:31 PM
CJG

One more thing, the new flexplate came with a weight inn the box but not bolted on. So I need the weight at all? If so does it matter where I put it? There are 2 places it can go. Trying to get this in tonight. Thanks.
Old September 8th, 2016, 06:22 PM
CJG

Well I've spun both of these flexplate around 20 times and I cannot get all 6 holes to line up. 3 at best maybe 4. Dpi frustrated.
Old September 8th, 2016, 06:41 PM

Try flipping it over and see if you can get the holes to line up. Its possible you've got it facing the wrong side forward, and that too will make a difference on the holes lining up.

John
Old September 8th, 2016, 06:44 PM
CJG

I've tried it that was as well. It lines right up on the old 350 we took out so it is for sure wrong I'm thinking.
Old September 8th, 2016, 06:46 PM

Yes, it sounds like it. The early crank bolt pattern fits 1964-67 330, 400, 425 then the later pattern fits 1968 and newer 350 through 455 engines.

John
Old September 8th, 2016, 06:50 PM

If you can't find a new one, create a parts wanted ad and I'm sure someone will come up with a good used one that will work for you. I've got some extras but due to my work schedule I couldn't get to it for a couple days. You could also add your location to the parts wanted ad, who knows, someone close to you might have what you need.

John
Old September 8th, 2016, 07:01 PM
CJG

So is it possible the side where the weight goes could go in towards block?
Old September 8th, 2016, 07:19 PM
CJG

I can Damn near get the holes to line up if I put it on "backwards" meaning weight side towards block. But every motor I've ever seen ,which doesn't mean much lol, had the weighted side out towards trans.
Old September 9th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Did you compare the two flexplates? Do you maybe have two of the same?

There are only two options, the 64-67 crank bolt pattern, and the 68-90 bolt pattern.
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:18 AM
CJG

I have new one given to me with the motor, and it is identical to the one off the old 350. We ordered one from oldsrocketparts that says specifically for early pattern 330 400 425 and it has a whole bunch of holes and I can only seem to get them all 6 to line up if I turn it inside out or like the side the weight would bolt to in towards the block,which to me seems wrong.

This doesnt give much info but wondering if this will work on the 425 crank?
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:24 AM
CJG

OOPS WRONG ONE, not the one we ordered.
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:27 AM
CJG

Old September 9th, 2016, 08:28 AM
CJG

Oh. Wonderful. Lol. Anyone wanna buy a 71 cutlass "project" lol!
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK, I didn't trust myself so I just went out and counted one. 166 is correct. Balance weight goes towards the trans. I'm still nervous about the fact that the flexplates in the photos seem to have multiple bolt patterns (one size fits none, apparently).
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:55 AM
CJG

Yeah, apparently LOL! Frustrating.
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:40 AM
CJG

I just heard back from oldsrocketparts and I explained what my issue was and their response was "you can't put it on backwards,the way the holes line up is the way it goes on" lol. I guess I'll just try to find a used original here locally and if not I'll buy the one from the guy on here. Just so completely frustrated.
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CJG
I just heard back from oldsrocketparts and I explained what my issue was and their response was "you can't put it on backwards,the way the holes line up is the way it goes on" lol. I guess I'll just try to find a used original here locally and if not I'll buy the one from the guy on here. Just so completely frustrated.
He is correct. Of the 12 possible orientations (6 each x 2 sides) only one will line up. Of course, with a non-factory flexplate, there's no telling where the balance weight goes. Did you ask him that?
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:44 AM
CJG

No I didn't, however it appears that the weight will only bolt up to one side as it uses v tapered headed screws with corresponding holes, if I remember correctly. I'll have to look for sure when I get home.
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CJG
No I didn't, however it appears that the weight will only bolt up to one side as it uses v tapered headed screws with corresponding holes, if I remember correctly. I'll have to look for sure when I get home.
My point is that a non-factory flexplate may have been made such that the balance weight should be on the block side, not the trans side. I can only speak with certainty on how factory parts were made.

Quick Reply: Crank verification