General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Convertible top stops off & on.

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:03 PM

Convertible top stops off & on.

67 OLds Cutlass Ragtop..The top is a year old & everything from the pads down is replaced. I just bought it a week ago & while looking at it everything worked good, not fast but the up & down did complete. Now usually on the way up it will stop for appx 5 sec then i have to let go of the button wait appx 10 sec & it will go again. Usually takes about to 3 of these pauses to get it closed. I lubed all joints as it sat for a little bit b4 i got it. Any suggestions ? Thanx in advance,,
Old May 21st, 2012, 02:33 PM

First make sure you have a good clean ground on the pump. If still acting up, try running the pump off a jumper (min 12ga if I recall) straight to the battery. Check the switch if that fixes it.
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM

Thanx Hookem

I will attack that first thign tomorrow. This is Fl rainy season & things change quick around here, i never want to be caught waiting for the top to go up. God forbid my bald head gets wet...Thanx
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:20 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sounds like the circuit breaker tripping.

I'd check for areas of binding that would overload the motor and increase the current draw.

Does it do it at exactly the same place every time?

- Eric
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:20 PM

No not always at the same spot, actually sometimes it will go all the way but it will do it very slooooow...Thanx MD
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:36 PM

Mine was doing the same thing. It was the top motor. It was getting hot and sticking. A couple of taps with a small hammer on the housing while a buddy hit the switch would get it all the way up or down. What a hassle. I bought a new one from Hydro-Electric and it did the same thing. I'd checked all the usual culprits before I replaced the top motor. Turns out the new top motor was bad. Hydro-E sent out a new one and a return shipping slip, immediately, no charge. They really took care of me. That next top motor fixed it right up.
I noticed the other day while pulling a JGC steering box in the junkyard that the late 80s early 90s Le Baron ragtops had top motors that looked like they just might work in the older A bodies. My new top motor wasn't cheap and I am, so I might try to fit one of those used ones if I ever need another. It had the correct number of wires and the fittings in the right places. I could have bought one for $10. Anybody know if this swap will work? Good luck with your top.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by texxas
Anybody know if this swap will work?
Absolutely no idea, but I would bet Yes - a lot of these parts were off-the-shelf stock from suppliers and didn't change over the years.

- Eric
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:31 AM

Cool

Thanx Texxas & MD, gonna go look at thsi stuff in a bit. have a great kinda day..
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:35 AM

For as cheap as that pump was, you could always buy it and give it a good comparison. We would love to hear if it is compatible!
Check the hose threads first to see if they are those dreaded metric ones.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
For as cheap as that pump was, you could always buy it and give it a good comparison. We would love to hear if it is compatible!
Check the hose threads first to see if they are those dreaded metric ones.
I thought about that but it was one of those days a couple of weeks ago when it was actually raining pretty good and I had scheduled time away from work so I still went junking anyway. Didn't want to waste the time away from the old grindstone. I figured the threads in the Le Baron pump are metric but I would think I could find some fittings to adapt it. The hoses look the same size, maybe just change the hoses to the metric hose ends if that is possible. I'm still thinking about it but my new pump works so nice, I'm not really in a hurry. I still got to get the JGC steering box installed. I've just been busy trying to move.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:00 AM

Smile

Keep us filled in Texxas...Have a great day..