General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Console shifter transmission cable bracket?

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2022, 08:52 AM

Console shifter transmission cable bracket?

I have a friend building a 68 cutlass. It originally had a column shift 2 speed trans. He has swapped in a console and tilt column. He is trying to find the correct bracket to go on the transmission manual shaft. I have several from core transmissions I have torn down over the years, this is the 3 different types in my assortment.

Can anyone identify these? Will any work?

Unfortunately, he lives an hour away, and the car is another half hour away from him, and with opposite working hours meeting isn’t easy.

The transmission bracket on my 69 is a flat triangle shaped part, the part shown in my 71 manual looks very close to either of the left 2 parts.

If none of these work, does anyone in readerland have the correct parts? He has the correct console for the car, just needs this bracket to finish. He is on a tight schedule, he needs the car finished in the next 3 weeks, all the reproduction venders are telling him nothing will be available for a couple months.

thanks!!
Old January 2nd, 2022, 09:57 AM

The original part number was 396290 superseded to 3950176
PM sent

Old January 2nd, 2022, 12:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I have a friend building a 68 cutlass. It originally had a column shift 2 speed trans. He has swapped in a console and tilt column. He is trying to find the correct bracket to go on the transmission manual shaft. I have several from core transmissions I have torn down over the years, this is the 3 different types in my assortment.

Can anyone identify these? Will any work?

Unfortunately, he lives an hour away, and the car is another half hour away from him, and with opposite working hours meeting isn’t easy.

The transmission bracket on my 69 is a flat triangle shaped part, the part shown in my 71 manual looks very close to either of the left 2 parts.

If none of these work, does anyone in readerland have the correct parts? He has the correct console for the car, just needs this bracket to finish. He is on a tight schedule, he needs the car finished in the next 3 weeks, all the reproduction venders are telling him nothing will be available for a couple months.

thanks!!
Just to close the loop here, none of those you've shown would be correct for a 1968. All of them are from 1969-later cars that have both the cable and the backdrive linkage to lock the shifter with the steering column.
Old January 2nd, 2022, 01:20 PM

I figured they wouldn’t be correct since 68 don’t have the park interlock. My buddy could not care any less about if it’s the correct part, he just wants the shifter to work.

I suppose I could take the triangular shaped bracket off my 69 and try these to see if any will work. Like I said, he is running out of time to finish this.

thanks.
Old January 2nd, 2022, 01:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I figured they wouldn’t be correct since 68 don’t have the park interlock. My buddy could not care any less about if it’s the correct part, he just wants the shifter to work.

I suppose I could take the triangular shaped bracket off my 69 and try these to see if any will work. Like I said, he is running out of time to finish this.

thanks.
The easy thing to do is to bolt each one up and see if the cable works. There are nuances of the location of the adjusting slot relative to the clocking angle of the bracket.
Old January 2nd, 2022, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The easy thing to do is to bolt each one up and see if the cable works. There are nuances of the location of the adjusting slot relative to the clocking angle of the bracket.

that’s probably what I’ll do. Unfortunately, it would almost be easier to drive to my friends house. My car is buried behind totes full of Christmas decorations. Remember the scene at the end of the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark? That’s kinda what my garage looks like right now.