General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Canadian oil change decal

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Canadian oil change decal

My Lansing-built 442 was sold new in Canada and according to my assembly manual, Canadian cars should have a Canadian specific oil change decal on the valve cover. Before I install this decal, is this correct for my car as an imported car?
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:23 PM

My 442 was built in Lansing and sold in Canada but there was nothing on the valve cover, however my car is a different year. It may be correct for your year.

Have you contacted GM Canada vintage services? http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/shopping/parts/vintage For the info and stuff they send you, it's worth it.
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Thanks Ken! Yeah, I got packages from Oldsmobile Historical services AND GM of Canada with all the docs and paperwork with the car when I bought it. Neat stuff. I'm so glad it was sold new in Canada. GM of Canada was great to keep all the records and included a letter listing all the options the car was born with. From what I understand NO Lansing cars have build sheets/broadcast cards so I'm glad I have paperwork to prove it's provenance.
The reproduction 'Oil service' valve cover decal is listed as applicable from '68 to '71 so maybe they stopped after '71?
Anybody have more info on this?
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Thanks Ken! Yeah, I got packages from Oldsmobile Historical services AND GM of Canada with all the docs and paperwork with the car when I bought it. Neat stuff. I'm so glad it was sold new in Canada. GM of Canada was great to keep all the records and included a letter listing all the options the car was born with. From what I understand NO Lansing cars have build sheets/broadcast cards so I'm glad I have paperwork to prove it's provenance.
The reproduction 'Oil service' valve cover decal is listed as applicable from '68 to '71 so maybe they stopped after '71?
Anybody have more info on this?
Sure is a nice looking car Mike. My car came with both and it was a Lansing car. After 31 years, wish I could find them. I remember finding them when I first bought the car, but that was so many years ago and it was just a daily driver then. One day I'll look under (on top) of the gas tank and see if another one is there.

Last edited by 442much; June 13th, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Thanks. I used to get up to Alberta every year when I was in the USAF. We used to have an excercise called "Maple Flag" and flew out of Cold Lake, Alberta. Lots of fun.
Old June 14th, 2010, 09:02 PM

You are correct the decal for Lansing built, Canadian sold cars, is on the drivers side valve cover. On Oshawa built cars (1969) the decal was on the drivers side inner fender. That Canadian oil decal is pronounced deck-al not dee-cal btw.
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Thanks Tom. Jim Osborn Reproductions are the only people I can find that offer this. I'll pick one up and see how it looks.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Land Yacht Captain

I say Dee-cal!!

Originally Posted by tomsw31
You are correct the decal for Lansing built, Canadian sold cars, is on the drivers side valve cover. On Oshawa built cars (1969) the decal was on the drivers side inner fender. That Canadian oil decal is pronounced deck-al not dee-cal btw.
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Every Canuck knows it's dee-cal! Those west coasters!