General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Build sheet

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2012, 06:53 PM

Build sheet

Is a car order worksheet and a build sheet the same b/c i was told that a car built in lansing michagan wouldnt have the buildsheet on top of the tank
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Randy C.

Although the different assembly plants were supposed to adhere to the same standards, they did vary on how those standards were enforced. Except for Lansing, most or all of the other assembly plants would leave a build sheet somewhere in the car - above the gas tank, behind an interior panel, under a seat, under the carpet, behind the dash, and so forth. Lansing seemed to play by the rules in that, from what I've heard of people reporting on this site, no one has ever found a build sheet in a Lansing car.

A car order worksheet sounds like something a dealer would put together when a customer was buying a new car.

Randy C.
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:45 AM

build sheet

Thanks for the information i would like to know if anyone has a picture of a build sheet b/c i have a one owner car and i found the protect o plate in the glove box....
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:00 AM

What's your car's VIN? That will tell us immediately where it was built, and if it's a Lansing car, you'll know that it most likely doesn't have a build sheet anywhere in it, and you don't have to waste time looking for it.

The protect-o-plate was something that came with every new GM car during that era. As I understand, it was like a credit card and was used to simplify warranty repairs and so forth as the dealer need only run the card through their machine to get everything about the car and owner at once. But it has nothing to do with the build sheet.
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by kbdecatur
Thanks for the information i would like to know if anyone has a picture of a build sheet b/c i have a one owner car and i found the protect o plate in the glove box....
Here is a copy of a buildsheet from my former 1965 88.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
65 Olds build sheet 1.jpg (89.6 KB, 31 views)
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the info guys.. It was built in lansing so i guess im out of luck with this... thanks again....
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:33 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

The car may leave the factory with the build sheet hidden somewhere, or it might not.
It seems mostly they do, probably because the last assembly line worker who used the build sheet left it there because it saved time not to put it in the trash can, most assembly line have a productivity bonus scheme to encourage workers to keep busy.

If it was a requirement to leave the build sheet surely it would be with the other documents that a new car comes with?.

Roger.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by rustyroger
The car may leave the factory with the build sheet hidden somewhere, or it might not.
It seems mostly they do, probably because the last assembly line worker who used the build sheet left it there because it saved time not to put it in the trash can, most assembly line have a productivity bonus scheme to encourage workers to keep busy.

If it was a requirement to leave the build sheet surely it would be with the other documents that a new car comes with?.

Roger.
It was not a requirement to leave the build sheet in the car. Just the opposite, actually. Instructions were to put them in the trash. Leaving a build sheet in the car was leaving trash in the car. Lansing ran a tighter ship than the other plants and that's why you won't find a Lansing build sheet. It wasn't just build sheets either. The quality of the cars coming out of Lansing were marginally better too. Lansing was the "home" plant, so this was to be expected.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=wmachine;400842] Instructions were to put them in the trash. Leaving a build sheet in the car was leaving trash in the car. QUOTE]

I have found build sheets in all my cars, always one under the rear seat.

Someone else's trash was my treasure!
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=radioburningchrome;400883]
Originally Posted by wmachine
Instructions were to put them in the trash. Leaving a build sheet in the car was leaving trash in the car. QUOTE]

I have found build sheets in all my cars,

And none were built in Lansing.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=TK-65;400898]
Originally Posted by radioburningchrome

And none were built in Lansing.

Correct.

All my cars (except my 65 J1- Texas) came from Linden, NJ.