General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Binding throttle cable question on 1971 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2017, 06:27 PM

Binding throttle cable question on 1971 Cutlass

I found that the throttle cable is binding when the accelerator pedal is pressed all the way to the floor. Upon examination, I noticed a kink in the rubber sleeve and a corresponding kink in the cable itself. The cable has begun to fray slightly just inside the metal attachment. Is that just the end result of normal wear and tear, or something else? I notice Summit racing sells several different styles of replacement cable, so before I order one I was wondering if there was something to keep in mind to prevent this in the future.

In case it is relevant, it's a 350 w/ pre-Holley Road Demon carb.

Any feed back appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20171129_225943.jpg (4.39 MB, 8 views)
Old December 3rd, 2017, 07:21 PM

I don't know what the best choice would be, but I would have someone sit in the car and press the gas while you carefully look at the cable. A stuck throttle can have devastating consequences. Might be time for some new parts. Fix the problem so it works perfectly. It will let you enjoy your car for a long time. Good luck
Old December 3rd, 2017, 07:36 PM

Oh, definitely. Replacement is a given. I was just wondering if there was an unseen problem that may have caused this (an improper something or other) or if I should look for a different/better style cable. I intend to replace the cable, I just don't know the finer details to cable selection/installation. I'm sure I can swap the cable with the help of the service manuals I have, just want to make sure I'm not barreling down the highway at 6000 RPM shortly thereafter because of some unaddressed problem.

Thanks for the input.
Old December 4th, 2017, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Your problem is the normal wear failure for cables. You can probably find a suitable replacement at your local auto parts store, rockauto, or any of the rest supply houses.
Old December 4th, 2017, 11:09 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the input!
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:12 AM

I bought a replacement cable for my 71 350 (stock quadrajet) off one of the ebay repop venders. It was the first thing that would pop up on my search. I was sick of seeing it but I bought one just as a spare so I guess the sales technique worked. It was only about $17.00 shipped. I haven't even taken it out of the plastic yet so I don't know the quality and I don't know if it would work with your Demon carb.
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the tip. I think the cable that is in there MIGHT be factory original, so a repro would probably work with the carb, but I'm going to remove the current cable and measure to be sure.