General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Air shock valve stem bezel? Sticker?

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2018, 10:06 AM

Air shock valve stem bezel? Sticker?

As I switch from old to new bumpers on my Rallye 350, I noticed a red sticker that surrounded the air shock valve stem and remembered that on my old '68 442 I had a metal bezel that went around the stem. What I have now is a sticker, and honestly it looks like a Gabriel shocks sticker, not an OEM piece. For '70, was there a fitted air valve bezel? Or even a sticker of some kind? Or did the valve stem simply poke through the bumper and get tightened down? I've been searching, but I can't seem to find anything like this - I'm sure I'm using the wrong search terms. I don't care to tighten a hex nut onto my freshly painted bumper without something between it and the paint.... Thanks!

Last edited by BSiegPaint; November 28th, 2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old December 1st, 2018, 08:01 AM
Oldsdruid

Me old man's 68 ElCamino had factory installed Delco air shocks, complete with METAL tubing. The fill valve for it was in the gap between bed and tailgate but I remember that washer being silkscreened metal and saying MIN 15/ MAX 90 psi. So I think yours is a remnant from some Gabriel HiJackers or other brand. You didn't find a rabbit decal on the window anywhere, didja?

My dad used that Elky for a truck, and it was only a couple years old when he loaded a big scoop of sawdust into it and then inflated the shocks. He didn't bother to get the air gage and the back end went up... and up... and then BA-WHOOM! as the bladders on both shocks blew out and the *** end dropped on the axle bump stops.. When I sold the truck in 1996 it still had those busted air shocks on it. It made him so mad he never bothered to replace them and talked junk about air shocks ever after.
Old December 1st, 2018, 08:50 AM

Hahahaha that's an awesome story So I wasn't imagining the metal ring with the pressures printed on it.... I ended up just using a nice washer for the hex nut on mine, but it would be nice to find one of the old original bits to top off the pressure valve. With the pressures shown on my last sticker, I'm sure it was some aftermarket whatever, as I remember 15-90 being the numbers on my '68. And I think the rabbit decal went somewhere between the roadrunner for the Hush Thrush mufflers and the Isky Cams Camfather....