General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

AC w/o HDC ?? WTH ? in PN Manual

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2015, 07:12 PM

AC w/o HDC ?? WTH ? in PN Manual

So I am looking up radiator PN's for a feller here, Jim

and I stumble across this [same PN radiator used in the '68 H/O by the way, 3017108, Gr. 1.219]

68-9 400 Eng. C.A.C. exc. Y72 or VO1

$150, which was a damn lot of money back then. Like a week's pay.

So, what the hell is this?
I have always seen AC require some sort of HD Cooling, typically Y72 as they call the pkg.

Now, perhaps on a H/O or W30, one might have HDC but not AC [like my convert with auto trans].... which I thought was called VO1 type HDCooling. The differences I suspect are the exact type of water pump, and the exact associated pulleys.

So, you experts-
What is VO1 [V01?] HDC exactly?
How does it differ from the more common Y72 HDC?

And, under what circumstances can you get or would you WANT to have C.A.C. [Car Air Conditioning] but then NOT have either of the HDC pkgs VO1 or Y72 ?!?!

Damn they list PN's here but not tag codes nor TANK stamped codes which is the current vein of knowledge being probed...

Old April 7th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Chris,
V01 is listed in the GM RPO's as
V01 : RADIATOR, HEAVY DUTY, VAR I

So I guess the next question is, 'What is VAR 1'?? Back to you. (maybe a special core??)
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:56 PM

Type 1 from vendor 1?

Sounds like VO1 is the HD [4-row] radiator, but w/o the other pcs [WP and Pulleys]
The 4-row would of course require the suitable dual-hump top plate that generally indicates the HDC pkg on your 1968 A-body.

So, under what conditions is it a good idea to have CAC but -not- V01 or Y71 ???
Old April 7th, 2015, 08:11 PM

Chris, if you are looking for tank info for a 68 H/O with A/C, off mine I have "C" & "H" on the RH tank with a smaller "C" between them along with a smaller soldered on tag higher up the tank that has "13" with two dots after it, and below it a "93" with one dot after it. The LH tank was has a "I" and "F" on it. I don't have a tag on my radiator. Car was built 4th week May.
Old April 7th, 2015, 08:46 PM

For 70 the V01 option was the 4 core radiator. V02 option was the 3 core radiator. Both are listed as heavy duty radiators. Option Y72 was Heavy Duty Engine Cooling AND Generator. A lot of people including Oldsmobile interchange Y72 and HD cooling, but they are not the same. They may use the same radiator though.
The assembly manual for 71 has a nice chart showing how the radiators are used. Although not the same for other years it will show how they interchanged the same radiator with options like A/C, Y72, and different gears. Also in the 71 assembly manual the codes for the radiators are shown, these do not show the "recipe" of tank/core that make up the radiator.
I looked into this a lot when I was trying to figure out what was correct for my 71 W-30. It has 3:42 gears, 3 core rad and no shroud.

Don W
Old April 7th, 2015, 08:50 PM

That picture looks familiar. It is from Sept. 72 parts book. Just remember the parts listed may not be the exact same part as what was original to your car.

Don W
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Octania
So, under what conditions is it a good idea to have CAC but -not- V01 or Y71 ???
Good question. Maybe up here in the midwest GWN where temps don't get very high? Uh, you mean Y72. Y71 looks like this: (from my car) and the needle is right around the 40° mark, reading quite correctly

Y71Thermometerjog.jpg
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:17 PM

Chris, first, don't believe everything you see in the Parts Catalogs; I've found a lot of mistakes in them, and that's not even counting the intentional superseding of part numbers

Second, here's some information I researched several years ago for someone else. Note that this is specific to 1970. Other years may have defined V01 differently both in terms of the axle it was for and the cooling components used:

First, some terminology:

C60 = Air Conditioning
Y72 = Heavy Duty Cooling option
V01 = a heavy duty cooling package included with 3.91 rear gears.
V02 = a heavy duty cooling package included with 3.42 rear gears.

Now look at your 1970 Assembly Manual, section 11, page 52:

442s with V01, C60, or Y72 all used the exact same radiator support, upper baffle, and insulators.These all went along with the 4-core (2.70") radiator (see earlier page), whose exact configuration varied a little with application.

442s with V02 are not listed on this page, which means they used the standard support, baffle, and insulators.Even though all those mounting parts were "standard," these cars used a 2.0" core radiator, which I believe is the 3-core.

Now look at section 11, page 110:

The fan shroud was only used on cars with C60, V01, and Y72.In other words, cars with the 4-core radiator.
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:12 PM

Very nice info packaged well Brian. Thanks!
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Second, here's some information I researched several years ago for someone else. Note that this is specific to 1970. Other years may have defined V01 differently both in terms of the axle it was for and the cooling components used:

First, some terminology:

C60 = Air Conditioning
Y72 = Heavy Duty Cooling option
V01 = a heavy duty cooling package included with 3.91 rear gears.
V02 = a heavy duty cooling package included with 3.42 rear gears.

Now look at your 1970 Assembly Manual, section 11, page 52:

442s with V01, C60, or Y72 all used the exact same radiator support, upper baffle, and insulators.These all went along with the 4-core (2.70") radiator (see earlier page), whose exact configuration varied a little with application.

442s with V02 are not listed on this page, which means they used the standard support, baffle, and insulators.Even though all those mounting parts were "standard," these cars used a 2.0" core radiator, which I believe is the 3-core.

Now look at section 11, page 110:

The fan shroud was only used on cars with C60, V01, and Y72.In other words, cars with the 4-core radiator.
That's very specific information in the 70 AM. I just pulled out my 72 AM and checked p11-52. If doesn't give the specifics your manual has, but it does provide the Rad information for the L75 and L77 cars. There's also a chart showing the Rad support assemblies, Upper baffle assembly, Rad Insulators and Rad Fan shrouds used.

The I got curious about if this is in the 1970 Inspectors guide. Not as detailed as your post, but have a look. Maybe it's also of value...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1970 radiator codes.jpg (67.9 KB, 82 views)
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:00 PM

For more details on the V01, V02, and Y72 options (along with most other options), see the INDEX of the Assembly Manual. For example, near the end of the index you'll find a section for "UPC option 35Y72" in which every page related to this option is listed. Then turn to each of those pages to find out which parts are different on cars with Y72.
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thank you.
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
For more details on the V01, V02, and Y72 options (along with most other options), see the INDEX of the Assembly Manual. For example, near the end of the index you'll find a section for "UPC option 35Y72" in which every page related to this option is listed. Then turn to each of those pages to find out which parts are different on cars with Y72.
Damn good info to know, if one's assembly manual has that page and it is legible.

Thanks

I will have to go look at that, but mainly it appears my AM was reproduced by a blind drunk using some drugs to control the DT's- sort of. "Summer" pages- some are there, some are not.
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:51 PM

Brian,
Until now I thought V01, and V02 were options just like any other option that you checked off on the order from. I understand that under certain conditions the V01 and V02 were mandated. But on the 1970 new car order forms I have I do not see them as options. Weird they list them as options but you can not opt for them even if your car was not required to have them.

Don W
Old April 10th, 2015, 01:29 PM

Well, "option" doesn't necessarily mean CUSTOMER option. My take on the situation is that if you wanted extra cooling capacity you were to order Y72. V01 and V02 were simply internal options forced by certain combinations of model, engine, and rear end. There's a lot more UPC option codes than are listed on the order form or in the salesman book. And who knows, maybe you actually COULD order V01 if you had the right connections. But chances are that only someone who worked inside Oldsmobile would even know what V01 meant.