General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

72 A body seat belt reminder light

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2014, 08:50 AM

72 A body seat belt reminder light

I need help determining if my car would correctly need the seatbelt dash top reminder light.

I am installing the U71 gauges and have already purchased a dash reminder light unit. My car delivery date is 1/20/1972 via the Protecto plate.

The question is with an assembly date of 12C would the Dash mounted seatbelt light be required on this car as the Federal regulation went into effective as of 1/1/1972? I am also converting the car to buckets, but have not pulled the bench seat out to check for additional sensor wires as of yet. Would that be the indicator?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on vehicle build starting before the date of requirement, but delivered after the date. I, in my mind think it would not be required as the build started prior to effective date.

Bill
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:15 AM

Bill,
I don't know if this helps or not, but my '72 U code supreme was born with tach & gauges & the wiring for the seat belt light is there, but the dash top indicator was never installed. My car was built 11-71.
I also have another '72 that came with the Rallye pack & it does not have the dash indicator either. I'll have to check the build date on that one.
ResizedImage_1375758351966_zpsbbaba7ef.jpg

I would think your car, since the assembly was started before the law went into effect, would not be required to have it? I'm sure someone that knows will chime in.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Bill,
I don't know if this helps or not, but my '72 U code supreme was born with tach & gauges & the wiring for the seat belt light is there, but the dash top indicator was never installed. My car was built 11-71.
I also have another '72 that came with the Rallye pack & it does not have the dash indicator either. I'll have to check the build date on that one.

I would think your car, since the assembly was started before the law went into effect, would not be required to have it? I'm sure someone that knows will chime in.

Scott, that is as I believe that it will not need it to be correct. Your car or possibly both cars may have answered part of the question which I did not directly ask. Did Oldsmobile start the installation of the indicator before the required date?

Which plant was your car built? Mine is a Lansing, wonder if there would be differences in plants as well.

It really won't bother me if it should be there aesthetically. Just would like it there if it was correct for the build date.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:41 AM

Only Rallye Pack-equipped cars built on or after January 1, 1972 have the dash mounted indicator light in 1972. A late '71 build would not have it.

Scott, I need to go back to your original thread on your U Code Supreme. I was smitten with it when that thread was new....

Terry

Last edited by vette442; January 10th, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old January 10th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1320dragmonza
I am installing the U71 gauges and have already purchased a dash reminder light unit. My car delivery date is 1/20/1972 via the Protecto plate.
As Terry mentioned, the seat belt light legislation came in on Jan 1, 1972 so your car would not have that dash pod for 'fasten belts'. One other thing - the option is U21, not 71. The protecto plate date is the date your car went into service and has nothing to do with it's production.

Originally Posted by vette442
Only Rallye Pack-equipped cars built on or after January 1, 1972 have the dash mounted indicator light in 1972. A late '71 build would not have it.
One other point. Like the 71 cars with 70 fenders, I've seen some early production (January 1972 rallye pac cars) that didn't have the pod. There was probably a transition period during production till the revision orders came into effect. Passing legislation is one thing, implementing it is the other.... Anyway, that's my opinion.
Old January 10th, 2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
As Terry mentioned, the seat belt light legislation came in on Jan 1, 1972 so your car would not have that dash pod for 'fasten belts'. One other thing - the option is U21, not 71. The protecto plate date is the date your car went into service and has nothing to do with it's production.

Yep, sorry about the typo on the Rally gauges.

The only reason I brought up the Protecto plate with the delivery date was to show the window of dates for the car build time.

Originally Posted by Allan R
One other point. Like the 71 cars with 70 fenders, I've seen some early production (January 1972 rallye pac cars) that didn't have the pod. There was probably a transition period during production till the revision orders came into effect. Passing legislation is one thing, implementing it is the other.... Anyway, that's my opinion.

I'm sure rules were a bit looser and bit different culture to meet safety standard than today. Current culture, the car companies like to advertise meeting safety standards well ahead of deadlines to increase their image to the public. And the government now has no humor on missing those deadlines, at least that was the case when I worked for dealerships from the late eighties to a few years ago.

Alan with you observation of Jan Rally cars with no indicator and mine being a Dec build I think I will leave it off. THANK YOU for your input.

Bill
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:02 AM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
I have a Base model Cutlass 2 dr Hardtop and the original seat belt warning light was in the gauges... I am replacing the entire dash from another 72 Cutlass.. But the new dash has the seat belt warning light on top of the dash.. Which one of these types of warning lights were more rare? And as far as wiring the new dash will I have to have a different type of wiring harness for the top of dash light? Thanks
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1320dragmonza
The only reason I brought up the Protecto plate with the delivery date was to show the window of dates for the car build time.
The POP was embossed at the dealership just prior to the car being delivered - that allowed them to record and enter the mileage. Some cars sat on the lot for a long time before they were sold, so the POP is not really a good reference of anything except the dealer code, VIN and vehicle warranty. The best indicator of your build time is a build sheet, but other than that, use the build date code on the cowl tag. If you find broadcast cards, they will give a more specific date for the build. When cars were being welded and assembled at Fisher Body Works, it could take up to 3 days before that body was passed along to the Assembly line at the related plant for finishing. On average it could be between 3 -5 days for a car to start being welded together and fully assembled, running off the assembly line.