General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

49 coupe needs driveline help

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2015, 02:04 PM

Question 49 coupe needs driveline help

I just got my 49 Olds 76 coupe back on the road after 3 years. The Hydramatic wont shift into 4th gear. I've cleaned the valve body on side of trans, pan, filter , govenor, mystery oil, voodoo, accupuncture, etc...no change. I cant find a local (central florida) trans guy who knows these trannies. Anybody know of one ?? I've talked to one in california and he wants both arm and three legs to rebuild it...plus shipping. I'm 65 and have used up all my Geritol getting it this far. Please give me some suggestions...BUT not putting in a 350 / 350.

I happen to also have a 55 '324 that has good compression, a rebuilt carb and distributor...but an UNPROVEN hydramatic attached to it. How can I test it before installing it ? I dont want to go thru with a transplant only to find another dead one. It is longer than my 49's.. Are the tailshafts interchangeable, or do I need to have a new driveshaft made?..or will a 55 driveshaft work? I know this is a lot of questions, but unless you can tell me the meaning of life, help me with this stuff...Thanks
Old March 14th, 2015, 10:47 PM

Have you done any adjustments to the TV rod?

Gene
Old March 14th, 2015, 11:48 PM

yep..adjusted both ways...plus tried it disconnected...no change.
thanks for your reply.
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by OGELBURKE
I just got my 49 Olds 76 coupe back on the road after 3 years. The Hydramatic wont shift into 4th gear. I've cleaned the valve body on side of trans, pan, filter , govenor, mystery oil, voodoo, accupuncture, etc...no change. I cant find a local (central florida) trans guy who knows these trannies. Anybody know of one ?? I've talked to one in california and he wants both arm and three legs to rebuild it...plus shipping. I'm 65 and have used up all my Geritol getting it this far. Please give me some suggestions...BUT not putting in a 350 / 350.

I happen to also have a 55 '324 that has good compression, a rebuilt carb and distributor...but an UNPROVEN hydramatic attached to it. How can I test it before installing it ? I dont want to go thru with a transplant only to find another dead one. It is longer than my 49's.. Are the tailshafts interchangeable, or do I need to have a new driveshaft made?..or will a 55 driveshaft work? I know this is a lot of questions, but unless you can tell me the meaning of life, help me with this stuff...Thanks
I'll have to ask some basic questions. These may seem dumb, but I have seen some that have missed the basics.
Prior to the 3 year hiatus did the transmission function normally? If it worked correctly while under your care it might be easier to figure out. It is unlikely that an internal part would break while just in storage.
Since you have checked all the linkages I'm assuming that the transmission (not just the selector) is actually in the "drive-4" range and not the "drive-3" range when you did your test.
Since you've done so much, I'm assuming that the fluid in it is not the original 66 y.o. stuff. If it is, drain the pan & torus and put in some fresh fluid of the correct type. Just sitting around with old fluid can cause problems.
Does it not shift at just the proper speed or does it not ever shift into 4th? I'm wondering if it will do the forced up-shift into 4th at elevated speed. Here are some things which can cause a high shift or missed 4th speed:
1.Throttle linkage too short.
2. Outer throttle lever bent.
3. Valves sticking in control valve assembly.
4. Governor valves sticking or improper valve travel.
5. Broken governor ring or ring land.
6. Internal leak in governor.
7. Internal leak in control valve assembly.
8. Leak in front servo release package.
9. 4-3 downshift valve retainer spring out of place.
10. Front unit annular piston, seals, or expanders damaged.
11. Loose bearing cap bolts in case allowing leak between oil delivery sleeve and cap.
12. Governor oil delivery pipe leaking at connections.
There are other things that can cause it, but they are due to mis-made or mis-assembled parts which I am assuming not to be your situation.
As you can see many of these probably would not happen due only to the car sitting for 3 years assuming that it worked correctly before that.
I have not responded to your other questions about the '55 as I suspect that the '49 can still be "saved".
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:05 AM

didnt drive / own it prior to 3 years ago...dont know history.
selector only has N.D.L.R.
new fluid twice.
never goes into fourth...stays in third /holds back / doesnt coast freely.
went as fast as I felt comfortable pushing a 65 yr old "Big 6" (motor...not me).
tried adjusting ALL linkages per manual...no changes.
did valve body twice...clean and smooth and springy.
did govnr / pipes, etc...all seem ok.

annular piston / seals / etc..I think I gotta pull tranny to do those...which is what I'm trying to avoid. Its probably just as easy to pull the motor WITH tranny as just the tranny...and if I go that far, I'd most likely want that 324 put in at that point.
Thanks for your input.