General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1971 Cutlass S oddities

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2015, 07:51 AM

1971 Cutlass S oddities

Hello everyone,

Thought I would share this and maybe someone could shed some light on this subject as well. I own a 1971 Cutlass S post model that was built in the second week of January 1971 in Lansing. From what I can tell, all the body panels are original.

My front fenders do not have the crumple dimples and are smooth like the ones for a 1970. I've read that early production 1971 models sometimes used 1970 fenders. I've spoken with the original owner's son who stated the only body work done to the car was some massaging of the passenger quarter panel, nothing else. The paint along the inside looks to be original as well.

Also, my hood insulation fasteners are square instead of round. Fusick's shows the square fasteners are for 1970 models as well. They look to be original and the insulation is long gone. The hood is a 71-72 style.

I thought this was odd and not sure if anyone else has also seen this. I'm guessing there were some leftover parts from the 1970 parts bins. When I bought this car, it was evident that it was very original and untouched. All of the trim was intact and it still had the original spiral shocks.
Old May 21st, 2015, 08:39 AM

Both my 71s came with the square hood fasteners, and it is my understanding that is correct for 71. Also, both of mine came with the flat ridge "70" fenders. It's understandable for my 442 as it was built the first week of September 70. My SX was built the first week of December of 70, after the strike, but it was an Arlington car. I thought that was rather late to still have the flat fenders, but yours clearly beats that date. I always thought as Lansing, being HQ for Oldsmobile would turn over their parts much quicker than the other plants, so Jan of 71 does seem very late, but hey, anything seems possible back then. Be glad, they're worth more if you ever want to sell them.
Pictures would be nice, what color is your Cutlass?