General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

my 1968 442...let the restoration begin!

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Getting There

Looks AWESOME !!!! Tom I love the color
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Thanks Wes!
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM

Looks great, keep up the good work, it's almost summer be ready for cruising soon
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM

yeah another Olds is saved. Happy to see it. Good Luck
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Looks like an exceptionally solid body. Looks like you'll be cruising in that Olds this summer.
Good job!
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
No, it isn't cool. Legally or ethically.
Now if by rebody, you mean taking all of the parts, drivetrain etc off of one car (call it car A) and putting them on another car body (car B), there is nothing wrong with doing that. But there is if you try to make car B have the identity of car A, that's where the problem is. That is no more right than starting with VIN and body tags and building a car around it. Sure it become close to that if you replace everything *but* the body, but where do you draw the line? The car doesn't live on by carrying forward the VIN tag. The end comes when the body goes. That is what makes surviving cars rare. No other antiques out there are afforded the option of moving an identification tag to a "better piece". That's quite laughable outside the automobile world.
I'll say it again, there is only one reason to alter/add/change numbers: FRAUD.
2nd and most important reason.
To protect the investments of those lucky enough to have a genuine car.

Last edited by MN71W30; May 11th, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Like I said, the VIN and trim tag off the 442 stay with me. Beside, I want proof that I actually had, and still kinda have a real 442. At least half of one. lol.

On the upside, I really like this color much better than the red. I'm just not a red car fan for some reason. I know it's really popular, but it's just not me. I'm the type of person who actually really likes the late '60s and early 70s colors.
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:14 PM

I don't think I ever seen one like that, it looks good. I hear ya on the red color. I do like red cars but it's nice to be a little different. I had a gray 70 SS454 Chevelle with green bench seat 4 speed interior and I was tempted to change to black buckets but decided to keep the green and was so glad I did. IMHO The main thing is to enjoy the car and not get too hung up on the expensive details that will keep the car under a cover and detur you from driving it. If there is a flaw here and there who cares, Enjoy the fruits of your labor and have a great summer!
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM
442=A perfect 10

Hey Tom,
Great chronicle documenting your love of Oldsmobiles! You are really getting quite alot done. You "new" car will be a blast to drive. Doing it right will pay off in the long run. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Fred
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Randy C.

Geez, Tom, what an incredible setback. I cannot imagine how disappointing it would be to discover the things you found with your red 442. But it looks like quite a rebound, too! Just so I understand, you are going to outfit your Cutlass S with all of your 442 running gear? That sounds like a pretty good set-up to me! And, there's nothing wrong with a 1968 Olds A-body that's provincial white with a black top! She will be a beauty - a real head turner - when she's back on the road again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68442conv1.jpg (44.0 KB, 15 views)
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:19 AM

Old May 12th, 2009, 02:31 AM

Smile Heads up

Hi Tom: Nice looking car, red cars are nice but there are too many around; while you are poking around don't forget to change the valve covers around...they are interchanged...what is the colour called for your trunk paint?? my convert is in the body shop now, maybe paint by June...Does your four speed floor have anything resembling a 'hump'??? I buy carpet for an automatic and my four speeds have no humps at all!!
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
while you are poking around don't forget to change the valve covers around...they are interchanged......Does your four speed floor have anything resembling a 'hump'??? I buy carpet for an automatic and my four speeds have no humps at all!!
Jesus. I just went back and looked at the pics and noticed them. How annoying. You're absolutely right about the valve covers. I also noticed that my harmonic balancer is cracked too, so they're going to have to come over and fix this stuff. I've spent way too much money for it to be done incorrectly.

what is the colour called for your trunk paint?? my convert is in the body shop now, maybe paint by June
From The Parts Place (www.partsplaceinc.com)
PT6800Z
(1964 - 1987 Cutlass/442) AQUA/BLACK TRUNK SPATTER PAINT (ONE QUART) - AQUA/BLACK COLOR ISSUED ON MOST ALL GM YEARS FROM 1964-1977.

Does your four speed floor have anything resembling a 'hump'??? I buy carpet for an automatic and my four speeds have no humps at all!!
Yep, sure does. It's not a huge hump, but it's there. Got the automatic carpet.

And thanks all for the well-wishes.
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:46 AM

Smile The pest

'68 A/C cars have a bent oil fill tube to let the breather rotate a little more forward for the hot air tube to clear the compressor and then the little vent tube on the drivers side is completely different too... as well as the intermediate hot air tube.. my picture transmision skills are still in the dark but we are working on them, I have my camera back from the daughter..hehe
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:49 PM

In search of

Originally Posted by 44TEETWO
Tom,
I have one of my 68's on eBay and one of the things I made sure to photo is how clean the rear package deck corners and the windshield corners on the dash are. That is the toughest thing to find solid on the 68 and 69's. My car lived its life in California, San Diego to be exact and is in GREAT SHAPE, and know one wants to pay 5K for it. If I can't get that for it I will just have to keep driving it! Gee thats too bad, NOT! I am originally from N.Y. so I know about rust cars, yours looks pretty good for an Eastern car. Best of luck and if nothing else HAVE FUN WITH IT!

Hi,

I happen to have come across an ad that you were selling this car that I just bought in July '10, the car is 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. You stated you didn't want to sell it but you needed to make room, you also said it came from Southern Calif. Can you give me any details how you came about it? Through a friend, through an ad, etc...? Also, can you please give me any details on the car once you took possession of it and/or what you may have done to it in the 1,000 miles you stated you put on it while you owned it? I am VERY interested in any info you are able to provide on this car!

Thank you!
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM

In search of

Tom,
I have one of my 68's on eBay and one of the things I made sure to photo is how clean the rear package deck corners and the windshield corners on the dash are. That is the toughest thing to find solid on the 68 and 69's. My car lived its life in California, San Diego to be exact and is in GREAT SHAPE, and know one wants to pay 5K for it. If I can't get that for it I will just have to keep driving it! Gee thats too bad, NOT! I am originally from N.Y. so I know about rust cars, yours looks pretty good for an Eastern car. Best of luck and if nothing else HAVE FUN WITH IT!
Just in case I may have sent this to incorrect person...It is meant for 44teetwo:

Hi,

I happen to have come across an ad that you were selling this car that I just bought in July '10, the car is 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. You stated you didn't want to sell it but you needed to make room, you also said it came from Southern Calif. Can you give me any details how you came about it? Through a friend, through an ad, etc...? Also, can you please give me any details on the car once you took possession of it and/or what you may have done to it in the 1,000 miles you stated you put on it while you owned it? I am VERY interested in any info you are able to provide on this car!

Thank you for your time!
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:40 PM

68 cs

Hi,

I just purchased the car I believe you are referring to in this post. Can you please give me some info on this car? Thank you!

Tom,