General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Would you drive or ship?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2015, 12:07 PM

Would you drive or ship?

Hi all,
According to my internet research I could probably drive to pick up a car cheaper than having it shipped. I'm looking at a 1800 mile trip one way. According to a couple quotes I've received it will cost about 1300 to ship, but I can drive it for around 600, sure I would need like 2-3 days each way and probably a day there. I guess my question is which would you do? I can afford to ship the car, but don't want to pay that much, plus I think a cross country trip could be fun. A great way to see a part of the country I've never been in.
Thanks for the opinions,
Jon
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:17 PM

If time isn't a factor, plan in a few extra days and take the time to smell the roses. Or if you don't like roses, see what other car activities you can find along the way.

Personally, I'd always go with the road trip option!
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Beer Connoisseur

If you have the time, drive.
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:28 PM
tds

Ship or drive

If you are trailering the car, then it does not matter.

If you are planning on driving the "new" car, think about the condition of the car, what you are driving through, and what happens if it breaks down at the worst time in the worst place. (because that when/where cars break down!)

If that happens, would it have been cheaper (and easier) to have it shipped?

All my best,

Tom
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:35 PM

If the car is roadworthy and you have the time drive it. My cars are in CA and I'm driving them back here to VA. I was quoted almost $3k to ship them on an open trailer. (Ripoff) I can do it for less than $1k and take some vacation time.
Old May 5th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Senior Moment Member

Better make sure the car can make the drive. I've had some where they were fine to do it. And some that had claims they could, but couldn't.
Old May 5th, 2015, 01:37 PM

Make sure your AAA is up to date and that the tires are not old, then drive it home. I drove my SX home from western IL to W. PA in 2003. Made it all but the last 80 miles when a wheel bearing went bad. AAA got me the rest of the way. Drove one of my V Codes home from mid-Michigan too. I think those were my two longest pick-ups yet.

Terry
Old May 5th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by tds

If you are planning on driving the "new" car, think about the condition of the car, what you are driving through, and what happens if it breaks down at the worst time in the worst place. (because that when/where cars break down!)
Originally Posted by z11375ss
Better make sure the car can make the drive. I've had some where they were fine to do it. And some that had claims they could, but couldn't.
Agree.

Another take on the above is exactly "WHAT" you will be driving.

Some cars are a magnet for the scum of the earth.

If it had to sit outside a tow yard/repair shop/hotel etc etc overnight .....

How much attention would it draw ?.

Anything that is highly sought after will always be a risk when left unattended.

On a more positive note .....

I won't deny that it can be fun getting acquainted with a "new to you" car via a nice road trip.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Rocketeer

I value my time more than my money.

I'm always looking for an excuse to take a road trip, but an 1800x2 mile road trip wouldn't be any fun if I had to drive it all non-stop. I wouldn't consider it unless I had plenty of time to make a vacation out of the trip. And there's just no way that I'd consider anything but trailering a new purchase that far. 1800 miles is just too far to go on a shakedown run.

Another thing to consider is that if you drove 1800 miles and the car turns out to have been misrepresented, you have the option of not completing the transaction. If you buy it sight unseen and have it shipped, you never know what you'll be getting and that assumes a lot of unnecessary risk.

I'm at the point where if I were interested in a car that's 1800 miles away, I'd fly out to inspect it, decide on the purchase while I'm there, and pay to have it shipped back to me. In the big scheme of things a plane ticket doesn't add that much incremental cost to the acquisition. Think of it as an insurance policy to protect you from buying something that doesn't turn out to be what you really wanted.
Old May 5th, 2015, 04:43 PM
morgan

if i was in my 20's or 30's i wouldnt mind doing the the road trip but 1800 miles is a hike and now i would just have it shipped without question
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:14 PM

I vote drive it! And, if you're renting a car one way to drive out, you might find cheaper airfare... drop charges on one way rentals are a bitch. Give yourself a day to look the car over... check the tires and brakes, and all rubber parts in the lines, both gas and brakes. Change the belts, oil, air and gas filters 'cause they're cheap... especially the gas filters. Then, as they say, kick the tires and light the fires! And, as a safety measure, make a list of every uhaul, ryder, etc location along your route so you can haul it the remainder of the way if she breaks down. As long as you have the time and some skills with a wrench, I'd go for it.
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:34 PM

In March 2003 I flew to Tucson AZ and bought a 67 Buick GS 400 convertible. I drove it home to southeast Ohio, near 2000 miles. I had a ball. I had no major problems and I did not hurry. I would do it again if the right circumstances arise.
I bought the car from a real car guy, he was totally truthful and the car was in great condition. Still he said I must be crazy, I agreed and took off.
I have considered doing it on a few since but did not trust the sellers enough to try it. Good thing, every one of them had a problem which would have caused major problems, one had a horrible bad axle bearing for instance. Condition of the car is obviously a major concern in your plans here.

Good luck,
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:35 PM

I jumped on a plane two times and dove a car home. Don't regret a single thing about either trip. I would drive if you can. I will say, 1800 miles one way is a long way. I drove 2000 miles in 2 loooooong days to Glamis California two times. It gets very tiresome after sitting in a car that long.
Old May 5th, 2015, 07:39 PM

What we used to do on my old Subaru Forum is have someone close by check it out. Then if purchased, either the members would get together and bring it leg by leg, or if you drive back, make a list of all members and addresses along your route that would be willing to help out in case you break down or need a place to crash or have a dinner. A small meet/greet along the way. Always worked well. Those guys were great!
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:00 AM

I love driving. In 2013 I did a 5600 mile round trip to the SW USA in my 442, but I also know my car. I drove through 11 states, desert, mountains, plains...it was fantastic. Took 2 of my sons with me. We just stopped where we wanted. For a trip like this you have to know the condition of the car you are buying?

What I would do, is post your route here and ask members of this site to send you their contact info if they are close to where you will be travelling, in case you need their help. I'm sure there are lots here who would be willing to assist someone in trouble.

Also get an AAA membership and get the longest towing option and (if you don't have one already) get a cell phone. At least with these precautions you can relax when you drive and enjoy the drive. Remember, have the fun is getting there. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0307.jpg (36.5 KB, 37 views)
DSC_0604.jpg (102.0 KB, 38 views)
DSC_0874.jpg (62.7 KB, 40 views)
130.jpg (96.8 KB, 37 views)
074.jpg (83.5 KB, 39 views)
Old May 6th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Kjr442

Shop around a little more, I think you can do better.
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:37 AM

I took a flight to San Francisco with a bag full of tools and a bus to Santa Rosa, bought a '76 F-250, did an evaluation, changed engine oil & filter, bought some new tires and a few spare parts, and drove it back to Louisiana. The only thing that failed was the "Duraspark" ignition module, in the AZ desert. Fortunately, that was one of the parts I bought, based on the Ford mechanics' slang of "Neverspark". It's a great way to see the country and get familiar with the vehicle, but be sure to do a realistic evaluation of what you have.
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:39 AM

Think about your timing as well... don't put yourself in the middle of the desert or in a remote mountain pass in the middle of the night in an untested car...
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:54 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Spend the 1300 and ship it. I do that all the time. Well worth it. They're insured. You dont need the stress especially if/when it breaks down. Get it home go through it then decide if its road worthy of a scenic trip. Did you look into FedEx transportation division? They bought out many of the owner operator car transport companies. Last one I had shipped I called the carrier and they informed me that they are the same people just flying the FedEx flag. I got the same truck same driver same great door to door service.
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Rocketeer

Originally Posted by Bozang1
What we used to do on my old Subaru Forum is have someone close by check it out. Then if purchased, either the members would get together and bring it leg by leg, ...
What a great idea! I'm a member of a canine rescue group, and we transport rescued dogs that way. There's no reason you couldn't do the same thing with a car.

...or if you drive back, make a list of all members and addresses along your route that would be willing to help out in case you break down or need a place to crash or have a dinner. A small meet/greet along the way. Always worked well. Those guys were great!
The BMW MOA (motorcycle owners of America) publishes an "anonymous" book for member to member support on road trips. Although names aren't listed, the book contains addresses, phone numbers, and lists of what types of services, repair facilities, or accommodations listed members are willing to provide. Many members will hopscotch across the country, meeting other members and camping in their backyards. Although I prefer hotels to camping, I took the book along on road trips in case I broke down in the middle of nowhere.

I still think I'd fly to inspect the car, have it shipped back, and put off the road trip until I had personally verified the car's trip-worthiness. but if you still want to take the drive, just be sure to map out your route so that you can get help if/when you need it.

Last edited by bob p; May 6th, 2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bozang1
What we used to do on my old Subaru Forum is have someone close by check it out. Then if purchased, either the members would get together and bring it leg by leg, or if you drive back, make a list of all members and addresses along your route that would be willing to help out in case you break down or need a place to crash or have a dinner. A small meet/greet along the way. Always worked well. Those guys were great!
We have a Classic Oldsmobile map that was started for similar purposes. Click on the link below to register and browse. It's worldwide.
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:21 AM

Well since I'm driving in the Great Race next month, I'd say drive it. However, you have to know the car and trust it intimately, and completely. You also have to have the time and desire. My teenaged son and I will be driving our '37 Olds Touring Sedan from near St. Louis to Santa Monica, CA along Route 66. Then after the race, we will be driving back to Wichita, KS where our truck & trailer will be staged. We will have the support of the race crew on the way out, but we will be on our own on the way home. We are hoping to caravan with other racers on the return trip.
Pay the most attention to brakes, cooling system and tires if you decide to drive it.
Attached Images
IMG_0450.jpg (98.6 KB, 25 views)
Old May 8th, 2015, 07:09 PM

if i where a kid again..no doubt id make the trip...at 51..im more likely to ship it..thats a long trip...no way would i do it by myself..just no way too much crazy stuff going on in the world..id have to have at least 1 friend/family member thats could go with me, before id even think about it....

5 or 600 miles no problem..do it all the time..2000....no way
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:48 PM

show us the car.
Old May 9th, 2015, 05:53 AM

It mostly depends upon the care it has had. If well maintained and the tires aren't old it shouldn't be a problem. That being said I wouldn't take my own car that far without going through it with a fine tooth comb. I maintain mine very well but there are still a few things I would want to check before I felt comfortable going that distance. If it still has a points ignition system bring along a spare set and condenser.
Old May 10th, 2015, 05:55 AM

I just got a quote to pick a car up im really keen on send it to califorina , then send it to aussie land ...approx. ...$5000.+ customs , etc ...wait approx. a month , hope to god wot are in the pictures are as good as they are. when it get here .... it certainly puts a dampener on buyin the car...
Old May 10th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Administrator

If it seems mechanically able to do so, hell yes on driving it back.
Old May 10th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Old School Olds

He must be in route. He hasn't posted since the 5th.
Good luck Jon!