General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Doing any auto repairs at home? You might be violating copyright

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by aussie oldsmobile 98
mate if my "good neighbour" got the police on me for changing the oil im MY garage .... I start being a good neighbour by getting you lawn mower out on a sunday morning , fill it up with gas , chain it to a outside pole /structure on you backyard... start it up leave it a full revs ....and then u go out for the morning.....im sure your neighbour will soon get it!

ps ..I cant belive that the police would come out for this type of enforce ment , haven't they got betta things todo???? I think the place is startin to go nuts ...unfriggen believable!!!!
x2 on this.
Old April 25th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Rocketeer

I think every neighborhood has one bad apple who is a chronic complainer. Our neighborhood has one guy who is always filing complaints about everyone, even though everyone is in compliance with the local ordinances. He's just a complainer, and the code enforcement guys know it, but they still have to investigate whenever he calls them to complain about something. You'd think that they would get tired of this guy jerking their chain.

I was recently visited because this jewel of a neighbor complained that I had "a collection of abandoned vehicles." Of course it was a bogus complaint. All of my vehicles are plated, insured, and in running condition.

When the complaint was filed the temperature outside was below zero, we had a foot of snow on the ground, and it was actively snowing. Because I only drive my 4x4 during the snowy season, I don't bother to dig the other cars out. I just let the snow pile up on them. I guess that really offends one of my neighbors. He complains every year in the deepest part of winter.

Every year it's the same -- I get a visit when the weather is subzero and all of the cars are covered in snow, and they ask me to demonstrate that they're all in running condition. I always politely explain the situation, why I think their request for immediate action is unreasonable, and why I refuse to comply. Then I ask them to consider deferring their investigation until after the snow has melted. They always agree to come back later, and when they see that all of the cars are in running condition they close the books on the complaint.

I've had several visits, always occurring on the coldest day of the year, always complaining that the cars in my driveway are covered in snow. I guess snow on cars in a driveway really bothers some people.

Last edited by bob p; April 25th, 2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Rocketeer

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Sec. 18-38. - Permits for restoration of motor vehicles.

Any person, upon payment of a fee of $15.00, may obtain a permit for the restoration of a motor vehicle from the police department...
So if I understand this correctly, in your community it's illegal to restore a car, but it's legal if you pay a $15.00 fee for a permit to do so. In other words, that ordinance has nothing to do with getting rid of "unsightly" cars that are being restored, that ordinance is all about using the police department as revenue collection officers.

Last edited by bob p; April 25th, 2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by aussie oldsmobile 98
you sound like a bloody good neighbour to me!!!!
Yes. In my ideal neighborhood, everyone would have several cars up in the air, and there would always be someone on the block to borrow an unusual tool from, or enjoy a beer with.

The funny thing is that I live in a tiny picturesque coastal tourist town, right in the center.
Tourists take pictures of me working on my car, like I'm an attraction at Disneyland.
They'd love to get me out of there, but there's nothing they can do, because this is [still] America.

- Eric
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by bob p
Our neighborhood has one guy who is always filing complaints about everyone, even though everyone is in compliance with the local ordinances.
And his house hasn't burned down yet?

- Eric
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:22 PM

Angry

Originally Posted by bob p
So if I understand this correctly, in your community it's illegal to restore a car, but it's legal if you pay a $15.00 fee for a permit to do so. In other words, that ordinance has nothing to do with getting rid of "unsightly" cars that are being restored, that ordinance is all about using the police department as revenue collection officers.

that's a croc of crap!!! a bloody permit! ...I think it would be time to move or put up a 8ft high iron fence!
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:28 PM

Talking burnin down a home is criminal ..however

Originally Posted by MDchanic
And his house hasn't burned down yet?

- Eric

you could always ring up the crime authorities say that heeeps of cars vist this said neighbour ..late at nite , and visit him real quik/ and leave "know wot I mean"
do this from a pay phone ...and you can be annoymis about this "said tip off"
after all you are a concerned neighbour
Old April 26th, 2015, 12:33 AM

I had the cops out at my place several times when I lived there. All over minor issues like that. It got to the point to where I had to "drive" my mustang once a day so I'd fire her up at 3 am when I got off work and no doubt woke half the neighborhood up for about a month. Then never had a call on that car again.

It seems like every area in town has rules like this. It's why I'm looking for some land in the country where I can restore my car nude in the grass at noon if I want to
Old April 26th, 2015, 05:03 AM

Back to the OPs comments. Wait until some pinheads in the government decides that new cars should have the computers set so no one can drive over 75 MPH except for emergency vehicles. The tech is there and nobody needs to drive any faster.
Old April 26th, 2015, 07:21 AM

And with all this neighborly love around is why I live where I do with only one neighbors house visible to me and the ability to rev my engine or shoot a 30-06 if I want to... Life is good without people.....Tedd
Old April 26th, 2015, 07:52 AM

My neighbor has had a 68 Camaro SS with rust sitting in the side yard for at least 20 years.
Old April 26th, 2015, 08:25 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

America is "The Land of the Free"?. I wonder what car owners in China are allowed to do.
Over here you can do minor repairs (What a minor repair can be is not defined) to get a broken down vehicle running at the roadside.
Major jobs like changing an engine are a no-no though.
We can do whatever we want in our own driveways providing it doesn't cause nuisance to neighbors. Noise, paint fumes, or running a repair business from a private residence are regarded as nuisance.
Mostly common sense prevails, however we have our share of jobsworth busybodies. If they make too many unfounded complaints they might find themselves on the receiving end of a nuisance action.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; April 27th, 2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old July 18th, 2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Yes. In my ideal neighborhood, everyone would have several cars up in the air, and there would always be someone on the block to borrow an unusual tool from, or enjoy a beer with.

The funny thing is that I live in a tiny picturesque coastal tourist town, right in the center.
Tourists take pictures of me working on my car, like I'm an attraction at Disneyland.
They'd love to get me out of there, but there's nothing they can do, because this is [still] America.

- Eric
I live in a high end part of town, everything is kept in my garage. I have a lift, welders, compressor and a car on a rotisserie and on the odd occasion somebody walks by and the see a car 6 feet in the air or a car upside down it usually strikes up a good conversation, LOL
Old July 18th, 2017, 08:09 PM

Big brother at it again

F -them. Do what you want.
Old July 18th, 2017, 09:17 PM

I live in the country, Do what I want. However due to my and my wifes health troubles I'm gonna leave. But I will not be woke up at 2 am by one of my a&&hole nieghbors running around his property on a side by side blasting music.
I'm gonna miss this place. Gotta at least get a 2.5 garage with AC.
Sell my long guns and shoot my handguns at a indoor range.
Time for a change. No more rebuilds, just custom clean work.
But I am gonna miss it.
Old July 19th, 2017, 06:17 AM

I usually do what I want, but I don't waste my time digging up two year old posts just to get more arguments started.
Old July 19th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Today must be the day to resurrect old posts. What is this - the third or fourth so far?
Old July 19th, 2017, 07:44 AM

Ah, I was a little tight and killin time last night and kicked a few back up.
Old July 19th, 2017, 06:36 PM

Sometimes you gotta kick up some dust