General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Parts we need reproduced

Old April 8th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Parts we need reproduced

I've been taking inventory of the rust repair panels needed on my 72 recently. Naturally, most of what I need aren't reproduced yet. Maybe if there's enough interest one of the vendors will pick this up. Let's be reasonable here - there really needs to be enough of a market for a vendor to find this profitable.

I'll start with some that should be easy. First, how about the inner front fender reinforcement. Everyone sells the outer patch panel, but not the inner brace. This is a little surprising, because SOMEONE is stamping these braces to make the repro 70-72 fenders, so the dies exist (at least for those years). How about selling just the inner braces? Of course, new dies would be needed for other years, but it's really only the lower 6-8 inches or so that's needed. FYI, they don't even sell these for Chevelles. Go figure.

Core support patch panels under the battery. These USED to be sold, but have been off the market for over a decade. Why? Everyone needs one, and one patch covers 68-72 models.

Pinchweld repair panels. Yeah, you can get the Chevelle one and make it work for the base of the windshield, but how about the rest of the pinchweld? The back window is the one that's hard to form. These would not be complex stampings, and one die set covers 68-72.

While we're at the pinchweld, how about the formed piece that goes under the back window and welds to the package shelf? This always rusts out when the pinchweld goes.

Others?
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:21 AM

OEM-style rubber floor mats in colors other than black.
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:05 AM

Dash pads?
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:17 AM

I have heard the outer front fender patch is not very good. If that is the case, a better quality lower patch would be nice. I am going to need them in a couple of years when I restore a set of 70 fenders to replace the 71/72 fenders which are on my 70 W30.

Last edited by Boiler_81; April 8th, 2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:22 AM

Correct trunk Drop Off's for 66/67.
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
how about the inner front fender reinforcement. Everyone sells the outer patch panel, but not the inner brace.
Funny you should mention that. I did some legwork for a member who was looking for that and contacted a fender manufacturer (USA not an offshore distributor) and asked exactly that question. They just won't sell the inner brace. period. Thanks for your question though. Well, that's a great response from the home front isn't it?

Don't get me wrong. I think you're onto something and applaud your thread topic and comments. Problem is finding the right company and also the incentive to create the inventory. Not likely going to happen if the demand stays low.
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Problem is finding the right company and also the incentive to create the inventory. Not likely going to happen if the demand stays low.
Having run my own small business, I completely understand that. I believe the demand is there, and the dies already exist. Investment for a company to do this is zero. That's the frustrating part.

When I put on my tinfoil hat, I'm sure this is because the vendors would rather sell a whole fender than just the brace.
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

When I put on my tinfoil hat, I'm sure this is because the vendors would rather sell a whole fender than just the brace.
Winner! I think you're right on the money there. Why be in for a penny when you can be in for a pound? IMO the market needs to be tested with a sampling. I agree the dies are there - obviously since repro fenders have the braces. It's getting the idea across that it's better to sell at least the brace than nothing, because that's pretty much what I see frustrated DIY repair looking for. I tell ya, it's a conspiracy Joe, a dad gum conspiracy

Isn't this very similar to the W25 hood that everyone wanted (and got) since there was an obvious demand? Cheap models at first from the big fibreglass players, then Troy redid the molds and puts the 'real deal' out but has to recoup the cost of production, so prices are 2500.00 which is more than double his original offerings.

Just I don't see the brace being quite as big a demand item, that's all - especially since the Olds aftermarket industry is no where near the Mopar, Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Mustang....etc? You know where this is going, right?
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Just I don't see the brace being quite as big a demand item, that's all - especially since the Olds aftermarket industry is no where near the Mopar, Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Mustang....etc? You know where this is going, right?
But, typically if you need the outer fender patch panel, you also need the inner. Besides, they don't even sell these inner braces for Chevelles, or Camaros!
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

But, typically if you need the outer fender patch panel, you also need the inner.
Not 100% true Joe. Seen a lot of fenders that the brace was still quite serviceable because the outer skin was just started on the perforation stage. Patch panel was the perfect solution and it also gives the opportunity to clean any scab off the brace before reattaching/rust inhibitor application afterwards. I guess it depends on amount of rust pervasiveness. Ohh that's a good big word! I have seen examples of inner brace where just the lower extension is rotted, and the DIY repair wasn't all that hard. I'm thinking you're looking at a brace that is structurally compromised from the mid point down. Either way, I'm still in agreement with you on the overall theme. Can't speak to the other brand non replacements you mentioned, but that might also be a good place to launch the concept too?
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:44 PM

I agree that the inner braces for the fenders would be a welcome addition. There should also be the angled piece at the bottom that attaches to the brace and the outer skin. It has the provision for the lower bolt on the inner wheelhouse for some models.

Joe, I think you should run your ideas by AMD (www.autometaldirect.com). They were initially reproducing mainly MOPAR parts but have started to get into GM products. They seem to make a quality part and have the ability to make it available in a fairly reasonable amount of time.

Brian
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:10 PM

Correct trunk mat for a '70.
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:18 PM

Correct 68-69 trunk drop offs. I got a set from Sherman. I literally laughed out loud when I opened the package. They look like some drunk retarded blind kid made them with tin snips and a ball peen hammer. Seriously the crappiest parts I have ever seen.
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Elephant_Engine_Ernie
Correct trunk mat for a '70.

EEE, please elaborate. What is incorrect on the repo?

And, that's a whole other thread - things that are reproduced and wrong for the application it is marketed for.
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:22 PM

Or a lower 4 inch patch panel for the rear quarters. I see people all the time replace the entire patch panel for the lower 2 or 3 inches.
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:26 PM

How about outer wheel house for '66/'67?
Lower part of the front fender reinforcement behind the front wheel on'66/'67?
Gotta be a fair demand for these.
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:35 PM

There is a guy that makes the braces for 69 fenders. Not sure if he makes to 70-72. I will get his info and post it.
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Hookers under Hood

Joe, I don't know the look or shape of the parts you are looking for. If it were a simple hand-transfer crush form, I could digitize the parts in question and stamp some out. I have a 600 ton and 250 ton press. The problem would be.... getting the parts in question and having a look.
Small runs wouldn't be cost effective, getting the old dies back into service may be impossible after sitting for many years.
Eric
Old April 8th, 2015, 05:14 PM

I vote any sheet metal for 63-4 fullsize quarter bottoms, rocker panels, floor pieces, even just the bodymount sections.
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:53 PM

66/67 metal of sail panels and between the window and the decklid. Would work on Chevelles.
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
66/67 metal between the window and the decklid. Would work on Chevelles.
Maybe that's the reason why it is actually available from several vendors, if you mean that panel?!
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/CAM7627/?showMobile=true

I vote for 66/67 quarters, or at least patch panels for the lower section, including the wheel arch, in useable quality. Those that are available are not even close to what I would consider acceptable.
Unfortunately there will neither be enough demand for them, nor for full quarters...
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Hookers under Hood

There may be a enough guys to get a few 68-72 panel dies made up if they weren't too complex and without punches or cam piercings.
If they were basic enough to build a blanking die along with a hand-transfer it could be done on a small scale. Using the two die shoes for multiple pieces, just moving some locator pins around and adding extra holes for the forms with different panels.
If it were to be complex enough to go with progressive hits to bring in form than it would not be worth the expense.

Last edited by 76olds; April 8th, 2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:34 AM

How about a deck lid for '68 holidays & post cars?? The convert one has been out for years but no others as of yet. It only fits one year but '68 was the highest production year. I'd like to add the rear wing to my car but I'm not ruining a mint original lid to do it!! Anyone have a nice used one out there??? At least they recently brought out the '68-9 fenders so maybe there's hope!!! I was checking out the Ames perf.(gto) site,It's amazing what they have for gtos. Full factory quarters,not just skins,doors,their fender patches have the rear braces,lots of dash parts. Of course we all know they sold allot more gtos than 442s.
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
There may be a enough guys to get a few 68-72 panel dies made up if they weren't too complex and without punches or cam piercings.
If they were basic enough to build a blanking die along with a hand-transfer it could be done on a small scale. Using the two die shoes for multiple pieces, just moving some locator pins around and adding extra holes for the forms with different panels.
If it were to be complex enough to go with progressive hits to bring in form than it would not be worth the expense.

None of the parts would have the volume to justify a progressive or automatic transfer die. The thing that really irritates me is that these aftermarket companies will build dies to make these pieces but won't take the time to make them correctly. I'm a tool & die maker by trade BTW.
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:16 AM

sail panels

66/67 metal of sail panels and between the window and the decklid. Would work on Chevelles.
Koda:
Completely agree about the sail panels on the inside roof to deck area drop, I have had to remake more than I wanted to. As long as the area in the window bottom w/ the radius that attach's to the window deck repop panel and vertical line that the window seals against was really close, they could let the the patch panel run wild and allow the sheet metal worker trim to fit, I would have No problem paying $150.00 per side for quality repops, the should also fit Chevelle, Skylark, Lemans, GTO and Tempest as well as Cutlass models.
Thanks, Ron
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:14 AM

Rear window channels for hardtops. You know the recessed lip that supports the window. They are always rusted out and need to hand crafted.

Second on the list would be complete core supports not just the patches. They are nearly impossible to find whole and without some rust damage.

Last would be repro plastic dash bezels. I actually think this is pretty doable considering it could be one mold with knock sections depending on the options, etc,...

Sean
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:27 AM

I believe the demand is there, and the dies already exist.
The dies might be owned by another company that sells to the company that sells the complete fender. Find that company and try to buy the brace, they might not know of the demand for just the brace. One company cannot use anothers dies for production unless the first company will approve.
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

The rear deck filler panel is already reproduced:

https://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi...tion&key=G-552
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by edzolz
The dies might be owned by another company that sells to the company that sells the complete fender. Find that company and try to buy the brace, they might not know of the demand for just the brace. One company cannot use anothers dies for production unless the first company will approve.
I understand that, and the "other company" is likely in China. I'm not likely to be able to talk to them.
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:46 AM

Thanks for correcting me, Dan, Joe. I was running under the assumption that they weren't made since mine used a donor years ago before I got it. I do agree with Ron.

Ok, guess I need another one, lol. 67 442 hoods? Maybe that would be bad because every 67 would then have one, like every 70-72 has the w-25.
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Ok, guess I need another one, lol. 67 442 hoods? Maybe that would be bad because every 67 would then have one, like every 70-72 has the w-25.
That one just takes a louver press and a Cutlass hood.
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Bah, I lose.
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Administrator

1967 headlight bezels.
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:09 PM

I wonder if these GTO fender braces could be adapted to work on Cutlass/442 fenders?

https://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi...n&key=G-524-RH
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by chadman
None of the parts would have the volume to justify a progressive or automatic transfer die. The thing that really irritates me is that these aftermarket companies will build dies to make these pieces but won't take the time to make them correctly. I'm a tool & die maker by trade BTW.
True that, it would have to be a single hit crash form hand transfer for small parts. laser cut or water jetted blanks for short runs would eliminate the need for a blanking die. It could be done with minimal profit margins during the down times. However it would be better to proto type the parts and have the dies built and stamped overseas.
I'm also a Designer/ Tool maker/ CNC Machinist in automotive stamping.
4 CNC mills, 2 presses, 3 wire edm, 1 water jet.

Last edited by 76olds; April 9th, 2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:30 PM

The molded rubber rear bumper/step closeout on 68-72 wagons...
Old April 10th, 2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Trophyblue442
There is a guy that makes the braces for 69 fenders. Not sure if he makes to 70-72. I will get his info and post it.

Really....I've never seen anything. I'm interested as well

You would have thought there would be a demand for 68-69 fenders. They've been reproducing them for about a year now and I have yet to find ONE person that's posted about their fitment.
Old April 10th, 2015, 07:38 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Trophyblue442
[QUOTE=allyolds68;810342]Really....I've never seen anything. I'm interested as well

You would have thought there would be a demand for 68-69 fenders. They've been reproducing them for about a year now and I have yet to find ONE person that's posted about their fitment

You can contact John about the braces at 203-631-0184. Nice guy.

I can't comment on the fitment because they were just mailed out to me yesterday and didn't receive them yet but I will keep you posted...
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:40 AM

The Parts Place lists a 1970 full core support.

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
Rear window channels for hardtops. You know the recessed lip that supports the window. They are always rusted out and need to hand crafted.

Second on the list would be complete core supports not just the patches. They are nearly impossible to find whole and without some rust damage.

Last would be repro plastic dash bezels. I actually think this is pretty doable considering it could be one mold with knock sections depending on the options, etc,...

Sean
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:48 AM

Why not make a place where all bad fitting repo parts can be listed and who sells with a buyer beware disclaimer? That way everyone would know!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parts we need reproduced