General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My New Garage !!

Old March 24th, 2015, 06:44 AM

My New Garage !!

Hey gang! So I haven't been so much lately because we just moved and have been crazy busy. With this move, I got unbelievably lucky and got my own, detached garage! The original owner was also a car guy and had a detached built for him in addition to the 2 car attached to the house. It's finished inside, insulated and has a water supply line (not hooked up yet) and full power. He even used to have a lift and air compressor so the electrical for both is already in place for me. It's got one, big door and no support poles so the floor and entrance is wide open. I really hit it out of the park and I although had something a bit different in my head that I would have built, this is an absolute dream come true for me!

I snapped a quick picture the other day after I finally finished moving my cars to their new home. I'll add some more pictures as I get things setup. I still have a ton of organizing to do in order to make it full functional and "mine" but it will be a ton of fun in the process. I have plans to replace the door with a roll-up unit and add a lift and air lines, sink, etc. but all in time. I'm just so psyched that I stepped into this and we got the house of our dreams in the process!

OK, I'm done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Garage.jpg (66.1 KB, 186 views)
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Looks good John! I think you'll need to build another one just for more work space
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Looks good John! I think you'll need to build another one just for more work space

Thanks Allan! I know, all garages can be bigger, right? It's actually bigger than it looks. Of course, having 2 Ninety Eights in there will make anything look much smaller lol. There's actually a fair amount of space on the side that can't really be seen. It's completely choked up in there but that's also because I had to make room to bring the black 98 home last week.

They left an enormous workbench and a lot of other items in there that I need to move around and/or toss in order to make the space functional without being cluttered and tripping over things. I'll be utilizing the walls and high ceiling every way I can. I think I'll be able to get in there this weekend and start moving things around.

We only just moved a few weeks ago and something gets done everyday to make the house our own. This weekend, I'm getting in the garages to do some of that for sure!
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Old School Olds

Congrats. Always nice to see dreams come together.
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John, just kiddin! I can see its huge and had what appears to be hight ceiling too. Is that an air line running along the left side wall under that electrical plug? I'm guessing that space is close to 24x30? Has to be big to fit those two giants of yours. Congrats on the new digs. I envy the concept of two garages. I guess you'll also have space outside if you decide to drag home any more projects.

Sounds like the move went well. Bet the missus and kids are thrilled too!
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Looks great.
Old March 24th, 2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
John, just kiddin! I can see its huge and had what appears to be hight ceiling too. Is that an air line running along the left side wall under that electrical plug? I'm guessing that space is close to 24x30? Has to be big to fit those two giants of yours. Congrats on the new digs. I envy the concept of two garages. I guess you'll also have space outside if you decide to drag home any more projects.

Sounds like the move went well. Bet the missus and kids are thrilled too!

It's roughly 25x25 with a ceiling of about 12 feet. There's no air line in there as of yet but I do have an air hose reel that I'll use once I get everything set up.

The whole family is loving the new house as well. We all can't wait for the warm weather to finally get here so we can start enjoying outside as well.
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Olds fanatic

Congrats on the new house and the new garage(s).

I'll pass along this link to you but I'll warn you...it can keep you up late on weekends...

http://www.garagejournal.com/

I've gotten an awful lot of inspiration, motivation and ideas from this site. It's kind of like CO, in that there is a wealth of knowledge, experience and diversity of members who all have a common interest.

Good luck.
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Old School Olds

Great site Kevin! Make sure you go in with your MAW hat securely strapped down...
Old March 24th, 2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by kpl70sx
Congrats on the new house and the new garage(s).

I'll pass along this link to you but I'll warn you...it can keep you up late on weekends...

http://www.garagejournal.com/

I've gotten an awful lot of inspiration, motivation and ideas from this site. It's kind of like CO, in that there is a wealth of knowledge, experience and diversity of members who all have a common interest.

Good luck.

Thanks Kevin!

I've been on that site before and I love it! Now that I finally have a real garage of my own, I will definitely be joining and learning and sharing what I can on there. I'm by no means looking to make this into something Jay Leno would be proud of, but it will be a very functional garage that will look great and I will be extremely proud of. I've had plans in my head for years and it's such an awesome feeling to finally be able to put them into place.

Although it was challenging with the mess and tools out of sort, I did my first oil change in there already and it felt GREAT!
Old March 24th, 2015, 05:29 PM

Congrats! That garage will soon be to small also. The more you add, the more you will fill it with. I do wish that I had the tall ceilings!
Old March 24th, 2015, 05:45 PM

Nice score! But don't pitch that workbench until you know you won't need it.

You know you belong to a quality car forum when a member buys a new house and all we get are pics of the garage
Old March 24th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Very nice! Congrats.
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:06 PM

Congratulations on the new house and excellent garage! love your 98s. My dad had a '76 98 Regency Coupe - you're bringing back memories!
Old March 25th, 2015, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Nice score! But don't pitch that workbench until you know you won't need it.

You know you belong to a quality car forum when a member buys a new house and all we get are pics of the garage

Hey, the huge workbench they left behind isn't going anywhere. My plan is to raise it up a little bit and put it on casters so I can move it around and have it sit up against the wall, above the foundation ledge. That will free up about 6 more inches of floor space and I might even be able to park my floor jacks underneath too. The bench is about 9' long and will be put to good use for storage and workspace.

Couldn't agree more about the garage pics over house pics! I figured pics of the house wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting as the garage

Originally Posted by QMaster
Congratulations on the new house and excellent garage! love your 98s. My dad had a '76 98 Regency Coupe - you're bringing back memories!

Thank you and thanks for the comment on my cars! My black 98 was my dad's car too! Check out these pics from then and now.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ency-olds.html