General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need to know if anyone knows this guy?

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2015, 06:34 AM

Thumbs down Need to know if anyone knows this guy?

So I'm furious.

I contacted a guy on EBay. He goes by the name *Oldsrocketguy* He sells the ProComp heads fully assembled with roller rockers. I asked him what's the best price he could give me shipped, he quoted me $999 and I told him that's perfect I can do that and send me an invoice to my PayPal account and I'll buy them. Now he won't reply any of my emails. I thought maybe he isn't getting my emails because he is busy. So I sent an email from a friend's account and he replied right away. . . . So mad.

Does anyone know any other retailers that sells ProComp heads at a reduced price. Edlebrocks are just out of my budget.

Attached are picture of this eBay seller and his email quote.
Attached Images
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:36 AM

I guess the reason I'm so mad is because I hoped that people would honor their word. Where I'm from if I give someone my word I honor it.
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:44 AM
morgan

that is Junior from mondellos....says he left mondellos and went out on his own or it could just be another mondello outlet

made a mistake i was thinking of oldsrocketparts

Last edited by pogo69; March 24th, 2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The joys of ePay. Unfortunate he's turned out to be a jerk. If it's any consolation many of us have had similar exchanges on that site that drive us crazy too. File a dispute because he offered the heads with a price and now won't follow through on your acceptance. Sounds contractual to me.
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You've got a clear price offer in writing on the eBay messaging system - file a complaint and stick with it.
You may or may not win, but it'll be a royal PIA for him.

- Eric
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Sometimes if a deal sounds to go to be true, it is.
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:29 AM

Wow I never thought about filing a dispute. Not sure if it would be a good character thing for me to do that. Karma is what I say lol.

Sucks though, I work hard for my money and have saved every penny I had just to get this set of aluminium heads. Now I have a fresh 461 block and no heads lol.

Does anyone know any other retailer that sell these procomp heads, ive looked everywhere and he seems to be the only one.

HELP . . . Please lol.
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:37 AM

So he offered the heads at $999 then refused to sell them? As of right now no money has changed hands correct? If no money has changed hands i'd say steer clear of this guy move on, I know it sucks but better to find out someone is shady BEFORE your hard earned money is in their pocket right?
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by ajmanning84
Wow I never thought about filing a dispute. Not sure if it would be a good character thing for me to do that. Karma is what I say lol.
It's not like he blurted out some price while talking to you at a bar one night - he spelled out a specific deal in writing on eBay's internal, recorded, monitored messaging system, which constitutes an official agreement within the eBay system.
He made a deal with you. If he wants to renege, he must face the consequences of eBay (whatever they may be).
He didn't make this offer by accident, and the offer is not hearsay - it was an official offer in the context of his regular business.

Karma will sort itself out on its own, but it does not preclude the involvement of the eBay authorities.
Remember, karma does not operate in this lifetime - it only pertains to the next life he will get after this one (karma that comes around during this life is called "instant karma").
It is fine to believe in the operation of karma, or of Heaven or Hell or Saint Peter, but none of those preclude the application of justice in this life.

- Eric
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:53 AM

Bugger, ****, poo!

Well I guess your all right. Ebay says they cant do anything because its a private message through ebay and not an invoiced quote.

Someone must know where I can get a set of aluminium ProComps.
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Try contacting Bernard Mondello at (951) 371-1432.
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:13 AM

wasnt he posting on here?
Old March 24th, 2015, 03:53 PM

Awesome news, I contact Mr Bernard Mondello, got to chat with him for a while and what an awesome guy.

He quoted me a price on a set of ProComp heads complete minus the rockers, garantees them to be good and 77cc chambers with all new parts on them and about $1000 cheaper than the Edelbrock heads.

Thankyou to all of you for your imput, not I have to save a little more to be able to get these heads from him.
Old March 24th, 2015, 04:18 PM

I realize the story is now over, but if you message someone and work out a deal, it's only between two men - eBay has nothing to do with the transaction because there was no official sale or auction. It's no different than emailing each other through your own personal email system - would you reach out to gmail to get them to enforce the deal?
Old March 24th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Diego
... if you message someone and work out a deal, it's only between two men - eBay has nothing to do with the transaction because there was no official sale or auction. It's no different than emailing each other through your own personal email system - would you reach out to gmail to get them to enforce the deal?
I was unaware of this.

Why provide a logged communications channel if you are not going to hold the people communicating to what they say?

- Eric
Old March 24th, 2015, 05:45 PM

Why would you think a deal that was worked out outside of eBay's normal sale and auction channels would be binding? eBay's not getting a cut.
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Diego
Why would you think a deal that was worked out outside of eBay's normal sale and auction channels would be binding? eBay's not getting a cut.
Because I thought that part of the deal was that the purchase would be through eBay.
I'm pretty sure that eBay does not allow deals to be arranged through their messaging service that are intended to take place outside of eBay. I don't have the time (nor the inclination) to review their extensive user agreement right now, but I think that they reserve the right to take a bite of any deal you make.

I would NEVER make an outside deal through eBay's system, as they have full access to everything you write.

- Eric
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:10 PM

But no transaction occurred - eBay or otherwise - with no auction or sale set up for the OP to pull the trigger.
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

When you click a "Buy It Now" button or a bid button, no transaction occurs; you are agreeing to purchase a certain item for a certain sum in the future.

The transaction occurs later, when you pay for the item.

- Eric
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:36 PM

Transaction, agreement, whatever - there was no "Buy It Now" or any auction to win, so there was nothing other an a Gentleman's Agreement.
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:10 AM

Ebay does not allow nor protect you from deals communicated through their message system. A message system is not an auction system.

You want to play in their arena, buy and sell by their rules. Which means post an auction, bid and complete transaction.

Ebay has no obligation to stand behind an offer made outside of their auction system. A message is a MESSAGE AND NOT AN AUCTION.

If the message led to a posted auction with a transaction ebay would stand behind it.
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:24 PM

Yeah I'm sure I know who that is. He was in Georgia last time I heard. If he didn't get back to you...go buy a lotto ticket.
Old March 26th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Kinda weird, this "Oldsrocketguy" had a lot of auctions going and canceled them all on march 24th or several days previous. Now all those auctions with exact same pics are listed under user name "Oldsrocketparts". I believe Pogo69 mentioned him in his post above.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=..._dmd=1&_ipg=50

http://www.ebay.com/sch/oldsrocketpa...p2047675.l2562
Old March 26th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by orange442
Kinda weird, this "Oldsrocketguy" had a lot of auctions going and canceled them all on march 24th or several days previous. Now all those auctions with exact same pics are listed under user name "Oldsrocketparts". I believe Pogo69 mentioned him in his post above.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=..._dmd=1&_ipg=50

http://www.ebay.com/sch/oldsrocketpa...p2047675.l2562
Kind of a "bait and switch"....wonder what the final price OP paid from Mondello....the second Mondello