General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

To rebuild and change out starter motor or not

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2015, 08:53 AM

To rebuild and change out starter motor or not

I ran across a old starter motor for the 55 in my junk the other day and it got me thinking that the one in the car now (which works fine) I believe is the original and hasn't been rebuilt. I plan on getting the junk one rebuilt as a spare. Would you change it out before the traveling season or rebuild it and stick it in the trunk just encase it's needed far from home?.... Tedd
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Administrator

While rebuilding and carrying an extra starter sounds like a good idea, it will lead to other obsessive items to carry also, like a generator, voltage regulator, distributor, carb, etc... pretty soon you'll have your whole garage back there and your car will sag like your carrying your overweight inlaws in the back seat, with no room for other things.
Old March 19th, 2015, 02:43 PM
same but different

I think its a good idea. But...I would keep it on the shelf ready to go.

I do get a chuckle about Eric's comment. You just have to draw the line about what to carry in the trunk on those long drives.

Pretty soon you'll be carrying a spare tire back there too.

This subject would need a thread of it own, but, what exactly do you carry in your trunk? The basics I'm sure, but what are they? is a good question.
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Tedd, I know the feeling and Eric and Don71 just nailed it..... Last week I packed an extra ballast resistor in the tool box just in case. With the car cover, extra gloves, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, chock block, and flares, I'm ready to go.

By the way, Happy Birthday from another lucky 1948 "kid".

Frank
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tedd,
Starter motors aren't that hard to rebuild. Do it yourself and save a few bucks. The parts that wear out fast are the brushes. The solenoid can be taken apart (Carefully) and the copper disc inside cleaned or flipped over for better contact.

I'd rebuild and put the rebuilt in the car. If the original is still in there it's prolly time to be looking at some maintenance on it anyway. If the car is in good repair I wouldn't be hauling much of anything around with me at all, except for the missus and a smile.
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I ran across a old starter motor for the 55 in my junk the other day and it got me thinking that the one in the car now (which works fine) I believe is the original and hasn't been rebuilt. I plan on getting the junk one rebuilt as a spare. Would you change it out before the traveling season or rebuild it and stick it in the trunk just encase it's needed far from home?.... Tedd
I partially agree with Allan. If the starter is basically sound, doing the rebuild yourself is feasible. Then you'll have better knowledge of what you have. I'd either do a swap while you are home before the trip or leave it on the shelf in the shop. You probably won't need it on the trip. And even if the car's starter fails (often they will give some warning before complete shut down), since you're driving a Hydramatic, you can do a push to start if you can get it up to 25 MPH or more (hopefully without damaging the bumper). (Page 10 of the owner manual).
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
... pretty soon you'll have your whole garage back there and your car will sag like your carrying your overweight inlaws in the back seat, with no room for other things.
Ha ha. My grandfather's car was like that - a rolling garage that sat L-O-W in the back.

Originally Posted by don71
This subject would need a thread of it own, but, what exactly do you carry in your trunk?
It has. There was a fairly long thread about 1-2 years ago on this very subject.

My advice: I'd rebuild it if you can, have it rebuilt if you can't, bring it if there's room, but don't sweat it if there isn't.
Another option: if you want to feel safe, but don't want to sacrifice the space and the weight, bring along a set of brushes, a starter drive, and a fine file - you can do a "field rebuild" by the side of the road in case of emergency.

If the one in there works fine, there's a good chance you'll rebuild it, put it on the shelf, and it'll be sold at the estate sale, as you look on from Above, thinking, "I'm glad I had that thing rebuilt - if I hadn't, the old one would have failed on me for sure."

- Eric
Old March 20th, 2015, 07:06 AM

I'm thinking of getting a set of brushes and rebuild it myself. The last time I rebuilt a starter was high school auto shop, time to relearn I think plus all the generator alternator shops around here have gone away like the dinosaur.The more I think about it I will probably leave it on the shelf rather than in the trunk. Trunk is full and I haven't started loading it yet.. ..Tedd
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Bodies or golf clubs??
Old March 20th, 2015, 08:50 PM

My trunk will hold at least two Jimmy Hoffa's but only one week of my wife's clothes.

I would like to do at least one car show while we are on the road this time maybe two, and you know what happens when you have to open your trunk at a show to be judged and there are your wife's drawers, I mean belongings exposed for all to see...... You go by your self that's what you do. I've seen her possessions before no big deal..Tedd

PS this will all work it's self out by the time we get out of California.
Old March 21st, 2015, 10:27 AM
Bfg

Would a spare transmission be out of the question?
Old March 21st, 2015, 12:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tedd, Maybe check out between the gas tank and the trunk metal to see if you have a 'Pressed Hoffa' there! I don't let my wife store any of her stuff in the trunk. That's strictly for car parts and 'my stuff'.

I think you're onto something with the extra d in your name. I'm thinking of trying it on for size...

Allann, hmmm, nope . Alland ...yup, that looks better
Old March 21st, 2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bfg
Would a spare transmission be out of the question?
Got a extra but it is the size of two Jimmy Hoffa's......Tedd