General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tire and wheel dilemma and judging?

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2015, 05:08 PM

Tire and wheel dilemma and judging?

When I get my W-30 done I plan to drive it a little. I have no desire to drive on bias ply tires. That leaves me with the problem of 14 inch white letter tires. My options are for the most part BFG or Coopers. I do not like the look of either one. I love the look of the BFG red lines but that is obviously not original. How bad would redlines hurt at the nationals for judging? I never really cared about the judging thing but since this will be a fresh car I would be interested to know what it would get. Also, Would a black sidewall be better than redlines or the same since neither is correct? Next, If it will hurt the judging, would I be able to figure out what the deduction were after it is over? This way I could figure out what it would have gotten if the correct tires were there.

For wheels, I am almost sure my car had SSI wheels. How bad will the repop SSI wheels hurt for judging? I think I may have to go with SSII just because it will be less money and will be able to use Oldsmobile made wheels.

I can not afford two sets of tires and wheels.
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:39 PM

I just brought in 2 of my SSI wheels and the chrome is much better than I thought on them. If the other 3 are this good I will be using these and not the repops. Now I just have to figure out my tire situation.
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:45 PM

In OCA stock class, the tires should be similar to stock. In Street Stock, Modified, or Race Car classes you are not limited in tires and wheels.
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:11 PM

You will take point deductions per tire if you go with radials. I have Repop Firestone tires on both my W31 And W30. I do not drive long distances but they are fine to drive on and they get better traction than the radials. I had original Polyglass and they were not safe to drive with but the new repop bias plys are surprisingly decent to drive with.
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:32 PM

I think you will be deducted 4 points for non stock type tires. When I played the points game I ran bias tires but changed to radials as soon as I quit because of how crappy they road. They had the IFG thing going( I follow groves). Though a pain it's their game and if you want to play you gotta go with their rules.

I think would go with ugly bias black walls and sell them as soon as you get the points thing out of your system. There is always a market for bias tires from the hot rod guys or someone who wants to venture into the points game....Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; February 20th, 2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old February 21st, 2015, 03:23 AM

Thanks guys. I am still not sure what tire i will go with but may have a set lined up to barrow for the nationals.
Old February 21st, 2015, 05:21 AM

I think it's 2 points a tire w/o looking in the manual. It depends who's judging. That's 8-10 points. There is a rule that if radials were available for your car for 70 they are ok. So...maybe they are, maybe they aren't. You won't know until you get your judging sheets weeks after the meet, it will be too late to dispute. If you want redlines, I would suggest Diamond Backs, they are radials and have no lettering. I'm not a 70 expert, but did not think they had redlines in 70. You can easily snag a 1st w/o bias plies if everything else is very good. If you are serious and looking for a BOC, you can't afford to give up 10 points up front, against the level of cars out there. You have to go "all in" for BOC.
Old February 21st, 2015, 05:52 AM

Check with Coker....they just brought out a radial that looks just like a bias ply. Not sure on the appearance or sizes, but it might be an alternative.
Old February 21st, 2015, 06:24 AM

BTW...the wheels would not cost you any points. SS1 SS11 repro or not, IF they are the right size and bolt on caps and correctly painted color.
Old February 21st, 2015, 06:58 AM

Looks like a business opportunity. Bring a semi trailer with tire changer and a stock of wheels and tires to the Big Show. Rent a set of show tires. Install 'em for the owner. Swap 'em back out after the judging.
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Thanks guys. I am still not sure what tire i will go with but may have a set lined up to barrow for the nationals.
This is the best route IMO
Old February 21st, 2015, 04:34 PM

Eric, that car will still win a first place even with the tires in the general section, or whatever the non-champion section is, and you'll know what you lost from it.