General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'55 Headlight Switch Generic?

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Brent in Georgia

'55 Headlight Switch Generic?

My headlight switch is getting really hard to push or pull, just wondering if anybody found a generic that will work. Or if somebody has the original part number so I can try to cross reference. Not sure I want to spend $150 for one. '55 Chevy reproduction for $38 looks close.....
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:11 AM

If your spending 150 for a headlight switch, your being ripped off when Fusick has them NEW for $89. These are pretty easy to work on- pull the switch out and see what your working with. Maybe the shaft that slides into the switch is slightly bent?
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by blento
My headlight switch is getting really hard to push or pull, just wondering if anybody found a generic that will work. Or if somebody has the original part number so I can try to cross reference. Not sure I want to spend $150 for one. '55 Chevy reproduction for $38 looks close.....
Here are the part numbers:
1955 & 1956 without Autronic Eye 1995062
1955 with Autronic Eye (1st type using direct current eye)
1955 & 1956 with Autronic Eye (2nd type using alternating current eye) 1995069
These part numbers were not used on any other Oldsmobiles older or younger.
The group number is 2.485
The Chevrolet parts book does not show any of these part numbers between 1933 and 1961, but you "might" be able to make it work. ????
If the original is just "stiff", carefully remove it from the dash as per the correct procedure. (Don't damage the bezel.) With the **** end up drip some non-detergent oil (old time watch oil is great) in the stem's hole. Then reinsert the stem and move the switch to distribute the oil. If it is successful the switch will move more freely. Then remove the stem and let it sit overnight with the stem end down to remove the excess oil before re-installing. I have saved some switches this way, and at this point you can't lose much.
If it doesn't work, Fusick shows the standard switch in their catalog for $89 + shipping.
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Frank Ignachuck

I've never found a generic. Here are a couple of possibilities.

I found part #1995074 Headlight switch 1955-57 all models except Autronic Eye.

However, my 56 shop manual lists part #1995062, again, no Autronic Eye. I bought one of these on e-bay and it works fine.

As 59-59-59 says, it's easy to take out to check the shaft, and it's all covered in another thread.

Frank
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Sorry Ozzie. I was typing while you were typing and you type faster (and larger...)
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Brent in Georgia

Thanks

Guess I should have just looked at Fu$ick..I looked on E Bay I should know better by now. I had it out before and did the oil thing, it helped a little but it seems to be getting worse, time to just replace it. Then I can connect the dash lights back to the switch rheostat, moved it to the headlights so I could see the dash at night.....it got tired and fell apart.....sort of like me today, had a little ice & sleet here in N Georgia and with all these hills & curves just about stops everything till the sun comes out.
Old February 17th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Brent in Georgia

Forgot to Ask

How can I get a part number book for the 55? My shop manual does not list part numbers. Is it available on a disk or downloadable ?

Thanks in advance...
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by blento
How can I get a part number book for the 55? My shop manual does not list part numbers. Is it available on a disk or downloadable ?

Thanks in advance...
I got mine years ago on eBay. It's an "original" paper book. You don't have to get it for the model year car you have for the ones in the 1950s. They cover up to the date on the book, but usually go back 10-15 years. For example, one dated 1959 would probably cover from "about" 1946-1959. The coverage is different for different parts. But I've got some parts books from the 1960s which only cover one or two years. Then there are some mega books which might be 8" thick which usually have a mega price. These are the ones which were used by the dealers' parts departments. Some are also on CD which is much cheaper if it covers what you need. It's best to ask the seller about the details. There are also sellers which specialize in auto books.
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Phantom Phixer

[QUOTE=blento;791817]How can I get a part number book for the 55? My shop manual does not list part numbers. Is it available on a disk or downloadable ?

Thanks in advance...[/QUOTE

]The second and third books on this list would be a good choice.
You need to get both the body and chassis editions for complete coverage .
Getting a book that covers three years past your year will give you a good idea of what other year parts will fit your car.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...talog&_sacat=0
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Oldsdruid

67442nut (Ed Skaff) had a 1961 body parts manual for sale recently but it's been sold. That book would have covered a lot of the body stuff for your 55, though it wouldn't have covered lighting or chassis electrical.

Your car looks awfully familiar. Guy in Durham NC had one nearly identical some years back but IDK if he sold that car or not.