General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Non functional gas guage

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2015, 04:54 PM

Non functional gas guage

I have a newly asquired 1972 Olds Toronodo with a non-functioning gas guage. I am hopeful that it is the float/sending unit in the tank. Can anybody direct me to a source for a replacement. If it ends up being the guage, anybody have a working replacement? Many thanks for any help/advice.
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Lansing built

Determine whether it's the sender, wiring or gauge first!

Check connections at both ends first, if no issues there, then remove wire from sending unit and turn key to on position and ground the wire, the gauge should swing opposite direction prior to grounding, this proves that the wiring and gauge is working. Then it's drop the fuel tank time if the sender is bad! There are places that can repair them like Bob's speedometer.

Pat
Old February 5th, 2015, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the tip.
Old February 7th, 2015, 03:59 PM

Can you be more specific on non functioning? Does the gauge stay on full? Or does it go to empty? I have a new in the box sending unit I will give you a good deal on if it turns out to be the sender.
Old February 8th, 2015, 05:10 PM

The gas gauge is stuck beyond full. I am hopeful that it is the sending unit. I had the same problem in my 72 Chevy truck. First time was the sending unit, second time was the gauge. I am going to do some testing this week and if it is the sending unit I would be interested in yours. PM me with the price you are asking for the unit.
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Olds Nut

My Sx U21 (gas gauge with factory gauges)gas gauge has been stuck on full for 12 years, I have had the car since 2001 and the gauge was working for a year or 2. After 2 years or less it would work until i filled the tank completely up. then it stayed on full. i purchased new sender and fuel lines and installed them, to no avail it still doesn't work. I have pulled the gauge out to make sure all connection are tight as well as the circuit board is intact. The sending unit is working correctly as per OHM meter but gauge doesn't work??? Anybody have any ides?
Old February 11th, 2015, 08:50 PM

Troubleshooting procedure posted above:

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Determine whether it's the sender, wiring or gauge first!

Check connections at both ends first, if no issues there, then remove wire from sending unit and turn key to on position and ground the wire, the gauge should swing opposite direction prior to grounding, this proves that the wiring and gauge is working. Then it's drop the fuel tank time if the sender is bad! There are places that can repair them like Bob's speedometer.

Pat
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Grounding the sender wire with the key on will drive the needle to "E". Disconnecting the wire and leaving the circuit open will drive the needle to "F".
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Grounding the sender wire with the key on will drive the needle to "E". Disconnecting the wire and leaving the circuit open will drive the needle to "F".
And if the needle doesn't move at all, you probably have a wire fault between the rear and the dash. You can test the gauge itself with a 9 volt battery to verify it moves.
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Disconnecting the wire on mine causes the needle to go past F to the HOT light.