General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

post-engine fire, where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2008, 11:36 PM
skubydobdo

post-engine fire, where to begin?

Thanks to those who helped me identify what caused everything under the hood to burn, ouch! So, i've got the chassis service manual on the way, and with everything in the engine compartment burnt to a crisp and a safe place to work on the car I plan to rebuild! I know its not going to be easy, but dangit i'm excited! Where should I begin this process? Just start pulling pieces? I'm mechanically inclined thank God Anyone who has dealt with fire damage to the front end want to give me any tips? Or anyone who hasn't? I'm actually looking forward to this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fire 1.jpg (126.1 KB, 56 views)

Old September 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM

I'm OK with sheet metal, but lost mechanically. So my opinion is going to be biased. I would start by Identifying and chasing down all the parts I knew were damaged by the fire, And taking pics of everything from every conceivable angle. so when I actually started working on the car I had a good idea of how everything goes together in my head, as well as that manual and visual cues to jog details out when you reassemble the car. I would also check everything under the dash as that firewall had to get very hot even though the carpet didn't look burnt. once I had enough prep and parts in hand , I'd start with the obvious and get the sheet metal out of the way. I'd Probably pull the running gear next. I wouldn't get exited about pretty with the wiring or plumbing as that's all junk now. Then I'd start picking the firewall apart, clean the sheet metal up. prep paint, and reassemble according to the chassis manual. this is assuming that the drive train was not damaged nor was the firewall in the fire. It does not take alot of heat to ruin sheet metel so check the fenders over well. Inner and outer, before reinstalling them. the hood is a gimme for replasement. Just brake everything down into small bite sized steps and you should be fine. I probably missed a few things in this and I'm sure others will have something to add, but this is how I would aproch the project, and adjust plans acordingly. Hope this helps.
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:04 AM

As an aside, the pics are ugly, but from my experience running wrecker and in the body shop, I'm guessing it was a small fire. and did not have a chance to tear too much up. I'm guessing from the pics that you will be cleaning a lot more stuff up than you will be replacing. That said check all mechanical parts over carefully before reinstalling them. Don't even mess with the brakes though. I'd just get new there, lines and all as that is a safety item, and the family is what really counts here, nice as the car is
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM

Also find a similar car (as close to a match to yours would be best) and take as my pictures as possible as well that way you have both to compare too. Got luck and if you when you have questions keep this post running.
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:55 AM
Oldsdruid

Pressure washer to clean off the worst grunge, and a parts car with a good wiring harness. It will be way easier in the long term.

Sometimes paint doesn't stick well to surfaces that have been burned. You'll get real friendly with metal prep.
Old September 21st, 2008, 07:15 AM

Instead of getting a wiring harness from a parts car you can install a wiring harness yourself. Either use the factory wiring diagram as a model or purchase a wiring harness from EZ Wiring or Painless. An entire harness runs aroun $200 but you could get buy with just buying one of their underhood harnesses.

It might be a good idea to pull the engine. You will probably at least have to take the heads off. If you take the engine out completely that will allow you to check all of the gaskets and clean and paint it more easily. Good luck.
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM
skubydobdo

Alright, thanks for the input! I will definitely be out there taking pictures and more pictures. I had not thought about the brakes, but it makes sense to replace parts. I'm sure i will have questions so i will bring them up in this thread.

Old September 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Olds64
Instead of getting a wiring harness from a parts car you can install a wiring harness yourself. Either use the factory wiring diagram as a model or purchase a wiring harness from EZ Wiring or Painless. An entire harness runs aroun $200 but you could get buy with just buying one of their underhood harnesses.
That's provided they make them for this car. My experience is they only do streetrod or mainstream popular cars, and they often have different plugs/connectors/colors from the factory built unit.

If you get an unbuggered harness from a parts car, everything plugs up and routes like it should, and all the wire colors are right for future troubleshooting.

Wiring is a touchy subject with me, probably because I've had to fix so much of it. If I never have to repair underdash or underhood wiring on a Chevrolet again, it will be too soon.
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM

You might want to buy a small sandblasting cabinet...it looks like you have a lot of rusty parts there which will clean up really quick with a sandblaster. I also agree with the brakes...It looks like you had a single reservoir system which was dangerous even before the fire! If one line breaks on that type of system you completely loose all brakes. If you're redoing the brakes then it won't be too much trouble to rework it for a dual reservior system. Anyways best of luck!
Old September 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
skubydobdo

Originally Posted by smcurro
You might want to buy a small sandblasting cabinet...it looks like you have a lot of rusty parts there which will clean up really quick with a sandblaster. I also agree with the brakes...It looks like you had a single reservoir system which was dangerous even before the fire! If one line breaks on that type of system you completely loose all brakes. If you're redoing the brakes then it won't be too much trouble to rework it for a dual reservior system. Anyways best of luck!
Thanks for the idea. There was no rust before the fire, all from sitting after the fire hose got to it. And dual reservoir, sounds good, will definitely look into that!

Old September 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM

I would agree with the idea of getting a parts car if for no other reason, the junction block looks like it got hit pretty hard by the heat. you will also be able to use any misc under hood and under dash items that may have been damaged. If you can find a nicer one try recouping your costs by parting it out. Otherwise find a ratty old p.o.s. for as little as you can, that still has what you need. I would suggest making an inventory list of what you have and what must be on the car you are looking for. Also don't throw any thing away until you are done. You never know when you might need that little doodad or need to reference something. I tend to try to take assemblies out of stuff, and keep them together as long as possable to avoid mistakes in reassembly. I am in the process of my first serious restoration/build and am finding that it was a good habit to form. especially cause my pics tend to be of everything but what I need
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM

That's provided they make them for this car. My experience is they only do streetrod or mainstream popular cars, and they often have different plugs/connectors/colors from the factory built unit.
I think you're right Rocketraider. I have only seen generic wiring harnesses, or harnesses for Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers, etc.
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:58 AM

How goes the rebuild?