General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2018, 10:05 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by NorthernStarfire
As far as I know, my car has a 3.42 rear end, so my rpm's should be even lower than yours. Is there an issue with the 9.3 rear axle that I should know about?

I've been trying to find out some info about the shift linkage between my floor shifter and the 700r4. Shiftworks makes a conversion kit for the 700r4 to a Cutlass shifter (http://www.shiftworks.com/cutlas.htm), but I haven't been able to find out if the Cutlass shifter is essentially the same as is in the Starfire. If it is the same except for the detent plate (2-speed pattern for the Cutlass vs. 3-speed pattern for the Starfire), I would think this kit should work. But so far I haven't had anyone give me an answer on that. The posts by KQQLCAT (https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-slim-jim.html) has been provided helpful information as I pursue this project.
There's nothing to worry about with a GM 9.3 rear end . It was the choice of drag racers for many years until the junkyard supply dried up . It is the strongest auto rear ever made . Installing a nine inch Ford rear would be a DOWNGRADE !

As far as the shifter , I doubt if the shift kit will work . I looked at the parts book and the shift lever , dial , housing , and shifter boot all carry different part numbers between '64 Starfire and '64 F-85
Old February 21st, 2018, 06:28 AM

Hey guys, I’m working on the brake system on my 66 delta. I’m putting the scarebird front disc conversion on it and keeping the rear drums. I was wondering what master cylinder should I use for this? Is there a direct bolt up mc that I can use? Will the factory style booster work with this? Thanks in advance for the help!

-josh
Old February 21st, 2018, 12:24 PM

The 9.3 rear ends were the toughest meanest on the street or strip. They have quite a history!
Dennis
Old February 21st, 2018, 04:41 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by 66delta
Hey guys, I’m working on the brake system on my 66 delta. I’m putting the scarebird front disc conversion on it and keeping the rear drums. I was wondering what master cylinder should I use for this? Is there a direct bolt up mc that I can use? Will the factory style booster work with this? Thanks in advance for the help!

-josh
The brake booster you have will work OK , as is . No difference .
You will need a disc brake master cylinder from a '67 Olds , plus a proportioning valve from the same car . And of course all the lines to hook it all up . Suggest getting re-built or new items .
Consult with Scarebird , and they will tell you just what you will need .
Old February 21st, 2018, 07:11 PM

Yours should go down the highway at 70 mph at around 1972 rpm with 28.5" diameter tires. With 26" tires about 2160rpm.
I've read that to low an rpm is not a good thing either.
Dennis
Old February 21st, 2018, 09:14 PM

Northern Starfire, that is a beautiful car. What nights are the car shows in Hibbing ? I have a friend in Marble and sometimes get up there.
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Northern Starfire, that is a beautiful car. What nights are the car shows in Hibbing ? I have a friend in Marble and sometimes get up there.
On the first weekend in June they have a cruise night on Saturday and a show on Sunday. There's another cruise night in September -- I think its the weekend after Labor Day, but I'm not sure. And there are other smaller groups that cruise on Tuesday nights -- not sure how often.
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by dennis_30281
Yours should go down the highway at 70 mph at around 1972 rpm with 28.5" diameter tires. With 26" tires about 2160rpm.
I've read that to low an rpm is not a good thing either.
Dennis
I've got 215/75R14 tires on it (26.7"). My calculations are that it'll be turning 1816 rpm @ 60 mph and 2118 rpm @ 70 mph.
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
There's nothing to worry about with a GM 9.3 rear end . It was the choice of drag racers for many years until the junkyard supply dried up . It is the strongest auto rear ever made . Installing a nine inch Ford rear would be a DOWNGRADE !

As far as the shifter , I doubt if the shift kit will work . I looked at the parts book and the shift lever , dial , housing , and shifter boot all carry different part numbers between '64 Starfire and '64 F-85
Thanks for the info about the shifter. I haven't been able to find any details about them. Would you happen to have a parts diagram or measurements for either shifter? I'm wondering if the Starfire shifter is close enough in size and function to the Cutlass model that the Shiftworks kit would still work? Modifying a kit that is close enough would seem easier than fabricating something from scratch.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 06:39 PM
Phantom Phixer

Thanks for the info about the shifter. I haven't been able to find any details about them. Would you happen to have a parts diagram or measurements for either shifter? I'm wondering if the Starfire shifter is close enough in size and function to the Cutlass model that the Shiftworks kit would still work? Modifying a kit that is close enough would seem easier than fabricating something from scratch.
These about all the diagrams I could find . They came from my 1963 Olds parts book . I think 1964 is similar .

This is supposed to be a '64 Starfire console;

this is the only Cutlass image I can find;

Did you see the thread by Dutch Injun that I highlighted above ?
I think that the easiest way would be to use what you already have , and get some type of graphics shop to make a new dial with the proper markings .
Old February 22nd, 2018, 10:38 PM

Thanks, Charlie, for the diagrams. The '63 console is different than the '64 (the photo is like mine). I don't know if that has any effect on the shifter mechanism. The '64 Service Manual shows a few different diagrams of the Starfire console and its components, but only shows the t-handle portion of the Starfire shifter, nothing of the mechanism inside the console. It does however show a clear diagram of the Cutlass shifter, and it is quite different than the shifter mechanism you show. (I don't have access to scan a diagram from the manual, but here's a link to a page with a photo of a Cutlass shifter about halfway down the page). Your diagram shows the shift rod passing through the floor directly below the Starfire shift lever, while on the Cutlass a rod moves forward from the shifter a few inches to a pivot point that passes through the floor. I wouldn't think a kit for that will help me much on the Starfire. Unless I use a Cutlass shift mechanism, since it looks very similar to a Starfire (and perhaps I could swap in the t-handle off the Starfire).

And yes, I looked the thread by Dutch Injun. I figured it would be necessary to make a new custom lens with the proper shift positions. I'll have to find someone who could make that.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 10:40 PM

Thanks, Charlie, for the diagrams. The '63 console is different than the '64 (the photo is like mine). I don't know if that has any effect on the shifter mechanism. The '64 Service Manual shows a few different diagrams of the Starfire console and its components, but only shows the t-handle portion of the Starfire shifter, nothing of the mechanism inside the console. It does however show a clear diagram of the Cutlass shifter, and it is quite different than the shifter mechanism you show. (I don't have access to scan a diagram from the manual, but here's a link to a page with a photo of a Cutlass shifter about halfway down the page). Your diagram shows the shift rod passing through the floor directly below the Starfire shift lever, while on the Cutlass a rod moves forward from the shifter a few inches to a pivot point that passes through the floor. I wouldn't think a kit for that will help me much on the Starfire. Unless I use a Cutlass shift mechanism, since it looks very similar to a Starfire (and perhaps I could swap in the t-handle off the Starfire).

And yes, I looked the thread by Dutch Injun. I figured it would be necessary to make a new custom lens with the proper shift positions. I'll have to find someone who could make that.
I guess that link didn't copy, so I'll try again: http://442restoration.homestead.com/...smissions.html
Old February 23rd, 2018, 07:33 AM
Jeff

Gah, I just had a flashback to my "GM Employee Parts Assistance" hotline days when I saw the illustrations that Charlie posted. We had a lot of old bound GM Parts Catalogs for everything pre-'86. I wish I could get my hands on the 60's Olds catalog. All those catalog grouping number codes next to the part name! I used to dread when someone would call looking for interior parts, because none of the GM warehouses stocked interior parts. Can't tell you how many times I'd just tell the guy to get me a fax number, and I'd make photocopies of the pages to send via fax instead of trying to figure out which parts he was looking for.
Old February 24th, 2018, 06:55 PM

Darksiders

1965 Delta 88 3 on the tree, 425 Starfire Engine, 370 hp, 4bbl, 3:23 posi. No power steering or brakes. Just wondering how many 3 on the tree B Bodies that are out there.

Ex Police Chief car that pulled duty in Center, Colorado back in the day....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1965 B01.jpg (3.1 KB, 868 views)
Posi Tag in trunk.jpg (1.8 KB, 846 views)
Back up light delete.JPG (2.6 KB, 853 views)

Last edited by 65B01Delta; February 24th, 2018 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Add more info..and add pictures
Old February 24th, 2018, 07:21 PM

I will re post better pictures that are bigger.
Old February 24th, 2018, 09:44 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome , It's extremely rare to see an old cop car .
Most of them lived an extremely hard and very short life .
Old February 24th, 2018, 10:49 PM

Center, Colorado is a 1 horse town, The Ford dealer got all the retired Police cars from what I was told. It was sold to a farmer, his wife smoked the clutch and was parked in a barn for years then it was sold to the lady I bought it from, she replaced the clutch and drove it for a few years then parked again until I bought it... Oh, it has a 11 inch clutch.
Attached Images
DSC01296.JPG (1.35 MB, 34 views)

Last edited by 65B01Delta; February 25th, 2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Add Picture
Old February 25th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Phantom Phixer

I see it has the optional 15 inch wheels , with the original ('56 style ) dog dish hubcaps .
Old March 4th, 2018, 04:33 PM

Got the bearings pressed off of the rear axles this weekend. I will install new bearing this week.
I am going to replace the left axle wheel studs with right hand threaded studs also. Does anyone have any problems with the swap other than nostalgia?
Dennis
Old March 6th, 2018, 08:25 AM

Your car do it your way.
Old March 11th, 2018, 05:52 PM

I know this is a site for up to 70' cars but does anyone know where I could get parts for a 73' "C" body. Specifically the bumper for the center of the differential that hangs off the rear cross member, possibly poly bushings for the front end and parts to make a 9-3/4" floating rear into a posi.
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:47 AM

My parts books go up to 1965, but try Fusick or Steele rubber products for the bumper.
Dennis
Old March 12th, 2018, 07:04 AM

Hello Gentlemen, I've been following this thread for awhile, figured it's time to become a Darksider. Meet "Daryl"...I was called to tow a car for customer from a farm house. When I got there I found the car was this beautiful 1964 Olds 98 covered in 10 years of dust. I owned 1 of these about 35 years ago-and always regretted selling it. I made the guy an offer and bought it on the spot.

It needed a little TLC, but it's a pretty well preserved old car. I've done some mechanical work to it, and have a few projects in the works, but man, I forgot how great these cars ride! It's truly a pleasure to drive. Oh, Daryl is the name of the original owner-it even came with a "Daryl" magnet on the dash
Old March 12th, 2018, 07:20 AM

Wow nice ride Midtown

Denis I did try Fusick but forgot about Steele Rubber. Thank you.
Old March 12th, 2018, 08:23 AM

Climate Control Inoperative

1968 Delmont heat & defrost buttons won't move into detent position, any suggestions?
Attached Images
IMG_2433.JPG (532.9 KB, 10 views)
Old March 12th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Nice find midtown!

Originally Posted by midtown_towman
Hello Gentlemen, I've been following this thread for awhile, figured it's time to become a Darksider. Meet "Daryl"...I was called to tow a car for customer from a farm house. When I got there I found the car was this beautiful 1964 Olds 98 covered in 10 years of dust. I owned 1 of these about 35 years ago-and always regretted selling it. I made the guy an offer and bought it on the spot.

It needed a little TLC, but it's a pretty well preserved old car. I've done some mechanical work to it, and have a few projects in the works, but man, I forgot how great these cars ride! It's truly a pleasure to drive. Oh, Daryl is the name of the original owner-it even came with a "Daryl" magnet on the dash
Nice find midtown, will we see you at the Nationals in Gettysburg later this year?
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by arby08808
Nice find midtown, will we see you at the Nationals in Gettysburg later this year?
Whats this about a show in Gettysburg? I'm only a short ride away from there now.
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:41 PM

Daryl, is one hell of a barn find! That car looks great! Have you figured out what took it off the road?
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nitroracer
Whats this about a show in Gettysburg? I'm only a short ride away from there now.
http://www.oldsmobileclub.org/news-e...018-nationals/
Old March 12th, 2018, 06:15 PM

Old March 12th, 2018, 06:17 PM

She a Beauty nice car.
Old March 15th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Does anyone have the vacuum line diagram from the heater controller selector to the actuators, there the two on each side for outside air, the 2 on the heater box to shut off the air and for the lower vent to open. It’s on a 66 oldsmobile delta 88. Thanks for the help guys.
Old March 15th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Forward into the Past

Nice car. The way the dust fell on it gives an interesting hint of how the car would look with a two-tone paint job.
Old March 15th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by 66delta
Does anyone have the vacuum line diagram from the heater controller selector to the actuators, there the two on each side for outside air, the 2 on the heater box to shut off the air and for the lower vent to open. It’s on a 66 oldsmobile delta 88. Thanks for the help guys.
Will this help

?

Old March 15th, 2018, 06:08 PM
golden rocket

midtown towman, that is one sweet looking 98. is that how the paint came out after washing it? what shape is the interior in, and what power options?

mike
Old March 19th, 2018, 08:23 AM

On the back of the heater control there is a round peice with nipples on the side of it for the vacuum lines and there number, I wasn’t sure if someone new which one of those went to which actuator/valve. Thanks
Old April 6th, 2018, 08:25 PM
XKC

Call me a member of this group! I had a family member offer me a 68 Ninety-Eight 4 door, but due to estate issues I ended up not being able to get ownership of it. In a very short time just researching these cars, I fell in love. I would love to come across another Ninety-Eight with the 455 Rocket. I can't wait to see the rest of your builds!
Old April 28th, 2018, 02:46 PM

Come Over to the Darkside: FOR SALE - Low Mileage 1962 Dynamic 88 Convertible

Darksiders: Am seeking your help in finding the next caretaker of Saved62; a low mile 1962 Dynamic 88 convertible. How low are the miles? How about 35,762 actual miles from new!

The car is black (ebony) with the factory gray/white vinyl interior. She sports a gray cloth top.

The car is located in Milwaukee, WI. The price: $26,543.

Full details, 61 photos and contact info available online at ==> http://62olds.atwebpages.com

Old May 4th, 2018, 03:17 PM

Hello Big Car Friends. Has anyone installed 245/60-15's on a set of 15x7 rims and had any issues with them? Tire shop tells me this car needs a 255/70-15 or the car will not handle right. They are going on a set of Buick GS rims.
Old May 6th, 2018, 11:21 PM

Pics I took Sat. You like the 4 spd.
Attached Images
001.JPG (1,004.0 KB, 16 views)
002.JPG (974.8 KB, 16 views)
003.JPG (1,000.6 KB, 15 views)
004.JPG (1.07 MB, 17 views)
005.JPG (1.51 MB, 12 views)

Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !