General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2017, 09:38 PM
Phantom Phixer

Nice car !

I really like the nice clean styling of the '67 Delmont 88 .

Welcome .
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:50 PM
golden rocket

jaunty75, you are correct, I was thinking the 9.5:1 would be considered low compression way back when. That is why I had the ? in with the C.R.

Sure would have been nice if it had come with the base 3speed manual transmission, but then again it may not have lasted this long.
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by golden rocket
jaunty75, you are correct, I was thinking the 9.5:1 would be considered low compression way back when.
I don't think there was any particular number that was considered "low" or "high" compression. I think that, at least in Oldsmobile's case, if the engine required premium fuel, it was high compression, as all HC engines back then did so, if I'm not mistaken.
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by golden rocket
jaunty75, you are correct, I was thinking the 9.5:1 would be considered low compression way back when. That is why I had the ? in with the C.R.

Sure would have been nice if it had come with the base 3speed manual transmission, but then again it may not have lasted this long.
The three speed manual back then was the "Dearborn" (Ford) three speed "toploader". Probably the strongest automobile transmission ever made .
I was the same trans that came in the 442 if you ordered it with a three speed .
Old October 19th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Phantom Phixer

Got a new 394 "Rocket" engine build thread .
Check it out ;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ine-build.html

Old November 2nd, 2017, 07:36 AM
1964 dynamic 88

Old November 2nd, 2017, 07:40 AM
1964 dynamic 88

I have always put regular unleaded, I see and hear that its premium.
Can anyone explain Please ?
Old November 2nd, 2017, 11:35 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by payan64
I have always put regular unleaded, I see and hear that its premium.
Can anyone explain Please ?
Some Dynamic 88 engines were built with low compression engines . They will
run fine on regular (87)
They were originally painted green .
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:51 PM

I have a quick question, are all 1965 hoods the same for the delta 88/98 jetfire and starfire? I'm currently building a 65 starfire and will need to cut up to the hood to fit my intake carb etc. and I would rather not cut up the cars original hood.
Old November 7th, 2017, 06:18 PM

Late to the party here, my Dad bought this Delmont 88 new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
052.JPG (1.10 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg
101_0961.JPG (1.02 MB, 20 views)
Old November 7th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Classics65
I have a quick question, are all 1965 hoods the same for the delta 88/98 jetfire and starfire? I'm currently building a 65 starfire and will need to cut up to the hood to fit my intake carb etc. and I would rather not cut up the cars original hood.
The 1972 Olds parts book lists one hood for all 65 Olds except F-85 .
Part number 386011 .
Old November 9th, 2017, 01:35 AM

I am in the process of rebuilding a 1964 Olds Starfire. I say "rebuilding" because someone swapped in a 455 and Turbo 400. The previous owner was going to "part out"
the car, and I just couldn't let that happen so I bought it. Lots of work left to be done yet, but hopefully by spring I can have it done.
RALPH

Old November 9th, 2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
I am in the process of rebuilding a 1964 Olds Starfire. I say "rebuilding" because someone swapped in a 455 and Turbo 400. The previous owner was going to "part out"
the car, and I just couldn't let that happen so I bought it. Lots of work left to be done yet, but hopefully by spring I can have it done.
RALPH

That will be a cool car if the swap was done right. Start a project thread and keep us posted on your progress.
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
The 1972 Olds parts book lists one hood for all 65 Olds except F-85 .
Part number 386011 .
so any 65 full size hood should fit. Awesome thanks man
Old November 19th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Hey Darksiders, quick question.
I'm attempting to bring back a 70 Ninety-eight and need some info. What years have a compatible dash, fender, and heat/air parts? I need a lot of little stuff and I'm trying to find either a parts car or specific parts
Here's my baby
Old November 19th, 2017, 02:13 PM

I've got a 1970 Delta 88 parts car. I'm not an expert on interchange with the 98 & 88 but suspect some of the parts will. Here's a few of my posts selling part of it. I'll provide individual photos or measurements of anything you'd like. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-hardtop.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-hardtop.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ch-panels.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ore-parts.html
Old November 19th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Forward into the Past

Originally Posted by OLDS98VERT

Hey Darksiders, quick question.
I'm attempting to bring back a 70 Ninety-eight and need some info. What years have a compatible dash, fender, and heat/air parts? I need a lot of little stuff and I'm trying to find either a parts car or specific parts
Here's my baby
I think '68-'70 are largely the same for the things you're looking for, and most of it will be the same on an '88 or a '98. I know they shared the same dash. Front fenders are likely the same but the rears are way different. There was a major body style change for the big Oldsmobiles in '71. The heat/air parts may well be the same on other GM brands from that era.
Old November 21st, 2017, 04:11 PM

Heat and air

I have a 1962 Starfire. As for the heat and air, mine is loaded with vacuum hoses and diaphrams. Go with a Vintage Air GEN 2 and clean up the firewall and under the dash. Then it's just select a temp and turn the fan on.
Dennis
Old November 21st, 2017, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Human
I think '68-'70 are largely the same for the things you're looking for, and most of it will be the same on an '88 or a '98. I know they shared the same dash. Front fenders are likely the same but the rears are way different. There was a major body style change for the big Oldsmobiles in '71. The heat/air parts may well be the same on other GM brands from that era.
Cool, I'll look into that one I get it running
Old November 21st, 2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by dennis_30281
I have a 1962 Starfire. As for the heat and air, mine is loaded with vacuum hoses and diaphrams. Go with a Vintage Air GEN 2 and clean up the firewall and under the dash. Then it's just select a temp and turn the fan on.
Dennis
How well does that unit keep you cool/warm? How much is the complete kit, and can it be installed without too much hassle?
Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:14 AM

Heat and cool

Mines not installed yet, but I've read nothing but good reviews and people that I have talked to who have the systems love them. As far as cost, it's one of those things that depends on what you want. Call Vintage Air and they'll send you a catalog and are friendly to talk to.
Dennis
Old November 22nd, 2017, 09:35 AM

I installed a VA system in a 63 Buick years ago. Works great, fairly easy install, and with a factory air car you can reuse the stock outlets. Only thing to remember is that they are recirculate only systems, you lose the outside air vent and mixing function.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 11:02 AM
Phantom Phixer

New vacuum diaphragms are available . E-Bay is but one source .
It may be a whole lot cheaper and easier to repair what you have already .
R-12 is also still readily available . Although you may have to get a licensed A/C person to charge it for you after you make your repairs.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; November 22nd, 2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old November 27th, 2017, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Don R.
That will be a cool car if the swap was done right. Start a project thread and keep us posted on your progress.
Don, give me a clue where and how to start a thread. I am new to "forums" and trying to learn how to get back to places I have been. Also, I am trying to find info and threads for '57 Olds 88's. Nop[icsofthe '57 yet. Its another "project" I am moving toward when the Starfire is finished.
Rest assured I am taking pics along the way.
Thanks,
RALPH
Old November 28th, 2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Don, give me a clue where and how to start a thread. I am new to "forums" and trying to learn how to get back to places I have been. Also, I am trying to find info and threads for '57 Olds 88's. Nop[icsofthe '57 yet. Its another "project" I am moving toward when the Starfire is finished.
Rest assured I am taking pics along the way.
Thanks,
RALPH

Just go to the "Forums" tab and pick the forum you want to use. If you are going to go all the way with detail - "Major Builds and Projects" or the car specific forums for a more general thread. Unfortunately the Starfire is in the "Other Oldsmobiles" forum which I'm not sure too many people read...
Old November 29th, 2017, 04:21 PM

Thanks Don. I am slowly figuring out this site. I have not been a member of any other site/forums before.
RALPH
Old January 26th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Jeff

Hey, Charlie / "Darksider-1" told me to come on over here, so here we go...

I've had my '64 Starfire convertible since 1998, purchased for $7500. Just back on the road again for the first time since 2008/9 time frame this past summer. Sorry I don't have better pics than what I have in my album, the wife snapped the photo of my boys and I right before we all piled in for the first family ride EVER. She cropped out the front and back ends of the car! Blasphemy! I think my car has every available option included, although the a/c and cc are no longer functional. I plan on using the resources here to investigate how many cars were built w/ my options, like the MOPAR guys always do with, "My car is a 1 of 1". Would be fun to know, at least.

One of my favorite stories of ownership is when the Frankenmuth, MI car show was still in it's infancy, I participated in the cruise with two other friends that had big ol' GM boat-sized convertibles (a '68 Caddy and a '75 Pontiac). Several of the spots on the cruise had spectators, and this one location had a garden hose to wet the pavement. I couldn't resist. As I stopped, there were several chuckles and "Really, Snow White??" comments. Basically, a bunch of clueless, dismissive folks. Well, needless to say the exhaust note and a hundred yards of tire squeal later, there were several slackjaws! Man, I love those 345 horses.

I'll have to see if I can get my Dad to join the forum, although he's a "lightsider" with his '84 G-body Cutlass.

The boys and I, going for the first spin around the block on Aug 31st, 2017. Layne hadn't ridden in her since 2008, and this was Ry's first time EVER.
Tucked back into the garage the night I got her running again, Aug 27,2017. Last time running was 2008, and registered properly was 2006.

Last edited by Weezer; January 26th, 2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old January 26th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome! Nice car !
It's always great when you can share your hobby with family .
Old February 5th, 2018, 11:15 AM

Hey guys, I picked up a 66 delta 88 last summer/fall. This is my first antique car. I’m 21 years young and am looking forward to all the fun that’s coming up in the future with this. Little story about the car, 2 owners ago the guy had it in his barn for 10+ years is from what I was told. One of my older buddies bought it about 8 years ago and he has had it stored for 7 years. The first year my friend got it he put a gm 454 in it followed by a th400. The guy before him put front disc brakes on it. For the past 3 years I’ve been trying to get the car off of my friend and finally he gave in. There’s a lot of great knoledge on this site the more and more I look. Any help and pointers is greatly appreciated.

-josh
Attached Images
Old February 5th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Well here is our 'Darksider'. We ended up with this original paint/original interior 1966 Ninety-Eight on our doorstep like the proverbial baby-in-a-basket! Another Oldsmobile soul to feed! This car has been very well cared for, and garaged/kept out of the harsh Ontario, Canada elements. The car has spent its whole life in Ontario, owned by two families, we are the third owners. Aside from replacing worn out suspension bushings now and doing a disc brake conversion in the near future, we are going to keep this car exactly as it is. Imperfections in the 52-year old lacquer paint and all. Receipts from 1971 show all five tires were replaced including the spare, and the tire has never been on the ground, along with the rim. Power vent windows are an option as are the cornering lamps.

We may, as funds allow in the future, get whitewall tires on 15-inch steel rims to work with the pending disc brakes. The aftermarket wheels and tires will have to do for now.

The car is very clean underside, a bit of surface rust on a few spots that can be cleaned up with WD-40 and a steel wool pad, the steel brake and fuel lines are in perfect condition, as are the original parking brake cables. We gat many questions about the car wherever we go, as it is very often the only one at shows. No, make that 99% of the time! 89,000 are showing on the speedometer enclosed in the perfect like new instrument panel. We really hope to make the rounds with this one this coming summer, it will be a tough choice to choose the Ninety-Eight or our 1972 Vista Cruiser to take to cruises and shows!

Old February 5th, 2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 66delta
Hey guys, I picked up a 66 delta 88 last summer/fall. This is my first antique car. I’m 21 years young and am looking forward to all the fun that’s coming up in the future with this. Little story about the car, 2 owners ago the guy had it in his barn for 10+ years is from what I was told. One of my older buddies bought it about 8 years ago and he has had it stored for 7 years. The first year my friend got it he put a gm 454 in it followed by a th400. The guy before him put front disc brakes on it. For the past 3 years I’ve been trying to get the car off of my friend and finally he gave in. There’s a lot of great knoledge on this site the more and more I look. Any help and pointers is greatly appreciated.

-josh
What your plans for your Delta 88?
Old February 5th, 2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
Well here is our 'Darksider'. We ended up with this original paint/original interior 1966 Ninety-Eight on our doorstep like the proverbial baby-in-a-basket! Another Oldsmobile soul to feed! This car has been very well cared for, and garaged/kept out of the harsh Ontario, Canada elements. The car has spent its whole life in Ontario, owned by two families, we are the third owners. Aside from replacing worn out suspension bushings now and doing a disc brake conversion in the near future, we are going to keep this car exactly as it is. Imperfections in the 52-year old lacquer paint and all. Receipts from 1971 show all five tires were replaced including the spare, and the tire has never been on the ground, along with the rim. Power vent windows are an option as are the cornering lamps.

We may, as funds allow in the future, get whitewall tires on 15-inch steel rims to work with the pending disc brakes. The aftermarket wheels and tires will have to do for now.

The car is very clean underside, a bit of surface rust on a few spots that can be cleaned up with WD-40 and a steel wool pad, the steel brake and fuel lines are in perfect condition, as are the original parking brake cables. We gat many questions about the car wherever we go, as it is very often the only one at shows. No, make that 99% of the time! 89,000 are showing on the speedometer enclosed in the perfect like new instrument panel. We really hope to make the rounds with this one this coming summer, it will be a tough choice to choose the Ninety-Eight or our 1972 Vista Cruiser to take to cruises and shows!

Beautiful car .
Old February 5th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
We really hope to make the rounds with this one this coming summer, it will be a tough choice to choose the Ninety-Eight or our 1972 Vista Cruiser to take to cruises and shows!
Why choose ?
I assume by your use of the term "we" , that you have a wife/significant other .
Have her drive one car , and you the other .
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:12 PM

Charlie,
driving two cars is not the problem, the cost of premium fuel up here is around 5.00 to 6.00 bucks a gallon and as you know these cars love their fuel.
Steve
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by eric66
Beautiful car .
Thank you very much!
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Why choose ?
I assume by your use of the term "we" , that you have a wife/significant other .
Have her drive one car , and you the other .
Quote from Steve Oldskeeper as well: Charlie,
driving two cars is not the problem, the cost of premium fuel up here is around 5.00 to 6.00 bucks a gallon and as you know these cars love their fuel.
Steve

Gentlemen, thank you both for your input. As I stated in the beginning, perhaps I will elaborate more. The 1966 was gifted to us by a very nice friend because a lot I have spoken about since we have have been friends in elementary school was our family 1965 Olds Ninety-Eight, long gone, and in later years we found the 1972 Vista Cruiser first, as a rusty 1970 was my first car years ago. We are on a very limited budget. Taxes and cost of living and then the taxes to bring car parts up into Canada are into the stratosphere. An $80 US part on line in the States, by the time it gets here, between shipping, and the money first object CDN gov't taxes and all, will be at times double that original amount. We never expected, but graciously and humbly accepted the gifted car. It is as close as I will get to that '65 we had. Even the interior is the same design and color, well, with maybe a few changes from '65 to '66. And to answer why not bring 2 cars to the show. While being very interested in cars, and even knowing a bit of mechanics of how they run, due to health, no driver's licence. But as Homer has said, "The journey is the thing", the adventure of being with one very special to you accompanying you to places of adventure with a classic car is half the fun and enjoyment - subjectively - for a lot of us. And we are two of them. So yes, one car stays home, one car goes. To fill our Vista Cruiser with these stinking Canadian prices, with a few gallons left, we are looking at close to $100 to fill the tank. The car does decently with a retrofitted 200-4R overdrive automatic, and the Ninety-Eight with its 425 and Switch-Pitch Turbo-400 does decently on the highway being held to 65 or so MPH. Everything up here revolves on budget in our home, we managed to squeeze the 66 Ninety-Eight in by doing without a few things.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:32 PM

-josh
Welcome to the club Josh, enjoy the (nice) car, one of the most important things have already been done to yours. The addition of disc brakes! You will find this group, especially a few very knowledgeable souls to be a wealth of information and helping to source parts, and deal with mechanical, electrical, and fitment issues. I have learned so much in the year we have had our 66 Ninety-Eight. It has made the fixing of some niggling problems not be so bad afterall! Never be afraid to ask. Regards, Howie.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by eric66
What your plans for your Delta 88?
I am going to clean it up and hopefully get some paint on it. I am going to stay with the 454 for now and see where that takes me. I just finished putting front floor pans in it last night. I have the nose stripped off of it and cleaning up the frame. I am missing a couple pieces of trim, radio, and gas pedal,back seat. I’ve been keeping an eye out on eBay but so far no luck. I picked up a set of black buckets for it out of 60’s a body. Would like to find a center console. I would like to get it drivable and go from there.
Old February 5th, 2018, 09:50 PM

I am going to clean it up and hopefully get some paint on it. I am going to stay with the 454 for now and see where that takes me. I just finished putting front floor pans in it last night. I have the nose stripped off of it and cleaning up the frame. I am missing a couple pieces of trim, radio, and gas pedal,back seat. I’ve been keeping an eye out on eBay but so far no luck. I picked up a set of black buckets for it out of 60’s a body. Would like to find a center console. I would like to get it drivable and go from there.
Good luck take you time don't get discouraged.Enjoy the ride nothing like making your own OLDSMOBILE history.
Old February 5th, 2018, 11:04 PM

Vistabrat i love your +sized Darksider, what a classy ride.

Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !