General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Old December 27th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Forward into the Past

Count me in as a member of this club. I've posted elsewhere about the '64 Dynamic 88 Convertible that's eventually coming my way. I've only been waiting on this car for the better part of 40 years. Dad bought it from the original owner in 1978 when I was 14 years old with the idea of fixing it up for me to drive when I got my license at 16. That never happened and he finally got it painted and put a top on it after I graduated from college. To this day, I've never driven or even ridden in this car, although I do remember sitting in it and doing my homework when one time when the house was being fumigated. A friend of my dad's has the car at his place now and is working on getting it running again after sitting for 30 years. It's a gradual process and there's no real timetable for when the car might find its way to my driveway. What progress is being made seems to be happening in fits and starts. I asked Dad about it over Christmas and got the usual vague 'he's working on it' response, which more likely means he's not working on it right now. I'd love to post some photos of it but I haven't seen the car since 2004. I've been waiting for this car since Jimmy Carter was in the White House, so I guess I can hold out a little longer.

Last edited by Human; December 27th, 2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old December 28th, 2016, 08:15 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by Human
Count me in as a member of this club. I've posted elsewhere about the '64 Dynamic 88 Convertible that's eventually coming my way. I've only been waiting on this car for the better part of 40 years. I asked Dad about it over Christmas and got the usual vague 'he's working on it' response, which more likely means he's not working on it right now. I'd love to post some photos of it but I haven't seen the car since 2004. I've been waiting for this car since Jimmy Carter was in the White House, so I guess I can hold out a little longer.
I was at the White House when Jimmy Carter was POTUS so I'm hoping you have this car in your driveway during the Trump years. I suggest getting an address of where the car is being worked on and let's drop in with a few cold Olds beverages....
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:41 PM

My winter project for the Wagon was to get a front Disc setup put together before I'm out driving again in the spring. I found a SSBC A129-13 kit in the clearance section at Summit on a whim and bought it hoping I could make it work on my 64', even though it is meant for 65-69 cars. Turns out the bolt pattern for the bracket is the same, but the lower bolt when the steering arm bolts on is smaller, and I only had one bracket.

Since I needed another bracket made I decided to improve upon the setup a bit, by running 12" 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee rotors. Bracket V1.0 is almost ready to go on the car but cutting 3/8 steel with an angle grinder is slow going.

Old January 4th, 2017, 10:12 AM

To Nitroracer, Wow, it's like Deja vu, all over again! I was at Summit Racing in Tallmadge yesterday at noon. I saw a SSBC A129-13 kit in a beat up box. I went through the kit and going by a picture print out of a picture of the kit, I thought it was missing a few things. The master cylinder and the proportioning valve were missing. The picture showed the 2 larger brackets that the caliper bolts to and showed 2 smaller brackets. Having seen the Scarebird setup I wondered if the smaller brackets were necessary. I showed a employee what was missing. After talking to a supervisor and me "whining" about a veteran/senior discount we agreed on a reduced price. I called SSBC today and the technical guy was helpful. Seems Summit had the wrong picture and there is no smaller brackets. He told me the 510 caliper is from a 1969 Camaro. The rotors are machined by them to work. He said they had trouble with some hubs being different sizes. I read about some hubs needing to be machined. He said they were discontinued. It seems strange we both bought these SSBC setups from Summits clearance racks the same day.
Old January 4th, 2017, 05:17 PM
"me somebody" site member

Of possible interest to you early 60s B-body guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-63-62-O...xYY01K&vxp=mtr
Old January 7th, 2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
To Nitroracer, Wow, it's like Deja vu, all over again! I was at Summit Racing in Tallmadge yesterday at noon. I saw a SSBC A129-13 kit in a beat up box. I went through the kit and going by a picture print out of a picture of the kit, I thought it was missing a few things. The master cylinder and the proportioning valve were missing. The picture showed the 2 larger brackets that the caliper bolts to and showed 2 smaller brackets. Having seen the Scarebird setup I wondered if the smaller brackets were necessary. I showed a employee what was missing. After talking to a supervisor and me "whining" about a veteran/senior discount we agreed on a reduced price. I called SSBC today and the technical guy was helpful. Seems Summit had the wrong picture and there is no smaller brackets. He told me the 510 caliper is from a 1969 Camaro. The rotors are machined by them to work. He said they had trouble with some hubs being different sizes. I read about some hubs needing to be machined. He said they were discontinued. It seems strange we both bought these SSBC setups from Summits clearance racks the same day.
The similarities are crazy on that one. What are you installing the kit on?
Old January 7th, 2017, 03:37 PM

Made some more progress with a chunk of 3/8" stock and have one rough cut bracket fitting on the car now. I need to punch out the top mounting hole and drill/tap for the caliper bolts. My bracket is bigger than the original SSBC version, and now more resembles the scarebird setup. The spacer is 8mm, and with some longer studs I should be good to go. The biggest surprise is how capable my jigsaw was with a cheap harbor freight metal blade for the inside curved cuts.

Old January 8th, 2017, 06:51 AM

Metal repair

Here's a from scratch repair I made to the front of the left rear inner wheel well on the 1962 Starfire I'm restoring. I had to do this before I could continue with the lower quarter panel repair. I bought a lower quarter panel patch panel for a 63 Impala, but it is about 3 inches short, so I will attempt a cut, grind, weld fit on the panel. Here are some pics.
DennisIMG_20170107_122642.jpg

IMG_20170107_114110.jpg

IMG_20170107_150725.jpg

IMG_20161225_173418.jpg
Old January 8th, 2017, 10:57 AM

The two 1967 98's I have are drum brakes and in good working condition. I have a 1966 Dynamic 88 convertible tucked away in one of my buildings. I'm planning on bringing it out and getting it back on the road. I plan on putting the SSBC disc brake setup on it, seeing as they need all redone anyway. I always like to have everything I need before starting a project.
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:05 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by Kennybill
..... tucked away in one of my buildings.
I see new construction in my future....

What's happening Darksiders?
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:16 AM

63 Fiesta project

Post in new members back in spring. Started working on "Rhonda" and just returned from a ten hour one way trip to Wisconsin and brought home a parts car.

Rhonda
Parts donorEngine in parts car is a 394 Sky Rocket looks to have just over 100k on car. Using most of interior, chrome and stainless, drivetrain but will have some pieces to sell. Darksiders you can tell me do the trunk pieces made of fiberboard have any value? The ones on this car are in great shape and I will not need them
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:25 PM

394 engine

Originally Posted by btw
I see new construction in my future....

What's happening Darksiders?
Are you selling the engine? I think that engine is the low compression engine, if so is it just a matter of head gasket thickness or are the heads different from the Starfire 345 HP 10:5 comp ratio?
Thanks
Dennis
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:21 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by dennis_30281
I think that engine is the low compression engine, if so is it just a matter of head gasket thickness or are the heads different from the Starfire 345 HP 10:5 comp ratio?
Thanks
Dennis
The heads are all the same , Dennis .
The compression ratio was determined by the depth of the piston "dish" , or the lack thereof , in the Starfire's case .
The motors were originally built with steel-shim head gaskets .
They were about half as thick (compressed) as the Fel-Pro gaskets available today . This will drop compression somewhere between an eighth to a quarter point . I would guess .
The low compression engines were painted green . Instead of red .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; January 31st, 2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old February 1st, 2017, 09:25 AM

394 engine

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
The heads are all the same , Dennis .
The compression ratio was determined by the depth of the piston "dish" , or the lack thereof , in the Starfire's case .
The motors were originally built with steel-shim head gaskets .
They were about half as thick (compressed) as the Fel-Pro gaskets available today . This will drop compression somewhere between an eighth to a quarter point . I would guess .
The low compression engines were painted green . Instead of red .
Thanks Charlie, After your post I looked at the engine in my 62 Starfire hardtop. The engine is as green as a Georgia line and no sign of been repainted. It has a 4 bbl carb and chrome valve covers. The book says Starfire engines are red! What do I have here? The nbr on the left head starts with G394 and the car was built in Atlanta.
Thanks
Dennis
Old February 1st, 2017, 09:43 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by dennis_30281
Thanks Charlie, After your post I looked at the engine in my 62 Starfire hardtop. The engine is as green as a Georgia line and no sign of been repainted. It has a 4 bbl carb and chrome valve covers. The book says Starfire engines are red! What do I have here? The nbr on the left head starts with G394 and the car was built in Atlanta.
Thanks
Dennis
If the engine is green and it has a 4 barrel , it is probably an export engine .
Special low compression 4 barrels were installed in cars that were being exported to places like Mexico , etc. where the octane quality of the gas was poor .
Old February 18th, 2017, 05:10 PM

1964 Dynamic 88

oGixhDo.jpg
Old February 18th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Forward into the Past

That looks like a nice, solid car. I like the two-tone paint scheme with the slightly lighter color on the roof.
Old February 18th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Phantom Phixer

Nice car !
Any special plans for it ? Or are you just leaving it as it is ?
Old February 19th, 2017, 12:40 PM

When you say green, do you mean like this -

1962 Oldsmobile 394 c.i. V8, 2 bbl, low compression (8.75:1) engine

If yes, then it is definitely the low compression engine. A little surprised it has a 4bbl carb, as I am sure most were fitted with the 2 bbl.
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:51 AM

Engine color

The valve covers appear to have been painted. The green that they paint Ed the engine s was almost a military olive drab.
Dennis
Old February 27th, 2017, 09:15 AM

I already tossed up a few pictures of my Starfire on the intro forum. Got invited over here, a good thread to browse. Here's a different picture of my 64 as an entry payment into the darkside club.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dream (8).jpg (1.17 MB, 66 views)
Old February 27th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by MichiDan
I already tossed up a few pictures of my Starfire on the intro forum. Got invited over here, a good thread to browse. Here's a different picture of my 64 as an entry payment into the darkside club.

Secret confession - I love my 63 but the 64 Starfire is my favorite.
Old February 27th, 2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Nice car !
Any special plans for it ? Or are you just leaving it as it is ?
Not going the full resto. Interior is pretty clean and original.
Old February 27th, 2017, 01:34 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Nothing like a big '64 Dynamic!
Old February 27th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by MichiDan
Welcome to the "darkside" , VERY nice Starfire !
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:06 PM

New to site 1964 starfire

Posted some pictures and details in the newbie forum. But here she is old "Gertrude." Looking to get the wipers going soon, heat, and figure out what to do about s leaky gas tank. Otherwise I'm completely surprised at how this car performs. She does like the gasoline.
Old July 7th, 2017, 10:02 PM

Just checking back in here to see if I missed anything .

^Love the dark green Starfire above.....The more I look at the "Big" Old's of the mid 60's and what nice examples can be purchased at very decent prices I'm thinking there might be one in my future if the right one comes along.

Just don't tell my wife lol........
Old July 7th, 2017, 10:05 PM

Oh, and a link to my Starfire interior install in my 61 Dynamic bubbletop...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-hardtop.html
Old July 7th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Phantom Phixer

Need parts for 63

I'm going to the OCA nats in Alburquerque .
Here is a link to a list of stuff I need to finish my car .
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...buquerque.html

I'm going to be there also: for the "Classicoldsmobile Nationals " in the Coronado room of the Marriot on Friday afternoon too .
Hope to see some of you "Darksiders" there.
Old July 10th, 2017, 06:16 PM

I finished my front disc setup earlier in the summer and I've been running around all over the place. Took a trip out to Ohio for the Roadkill zie tie drags a couple weeks ago.

Old July 12th, 2017, 06:33 AM

Starfire exhaust

I'm looking for a dual exhaust system with resonators for a 1965 Starfire convertible. Can anyone recommend a good source to go to?
Old July 12th, 2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Russ
I'm looking for a dual exhaust system with resonators for a 1965 Starfire convertible. Can anyone recommend a good source to go to?
I have had great results with Classic Exhaust. Reasonably priced and fit well. Only thing is they will cut the long pipes for ease of mailing and they make the ends so one pipe slides into the other for clamping. I am not sure if the 65 Sfire had a special resonator for the side exiting exhaust, this you will have to ask about.
Old July 12th, 2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I have had great results with Classic Exhaust. Reasonably priced and fit well. Only thing is they will cut the long pipes for ease of mailing and they make the ends so one pipe slides into the other for clamping. I am not sure if the 65 Sfire had a special resonator for the side exiting exhaust, this you will have to ask about.

I used a Classic Exhaust system and it fit well aside from the mufflers which I ended up using something else.

The problem was the had a 90deg bend going in and out of the muffler and to get the tight fit I wanted they came out at the wrong angle. By the time I was done I probably could have had a local muffler shop install a custom set of duals for me.

So I did use their exhaust and the quality and fit I would say were very good aside from the muff's which I probably could have made work but I didn't like those welded 90deg bends which also meant no custom exhaust tips.
Old July 12th, 2017, 09:27 AM

Unless you are doing a show points restoration find a good local muffler shop that does a lot of custom work. I've used Rich's Performance Muffler in Wylie, TX for my last three jobs and have been very pleased. Here is what they did on my 63:
Attached Images
DSCF2037.JPG (474.4 KB, 58 views)
DSCF2039.JPG (470.5 KB, 54 views)
DSCF2040.JPG (475.7 KB, 48 views)
DSCF2042.JPG (466.7 KB, 48 views)
DSCF2043.JPG (461.3 KB, 64 views)
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll give Classic Exhaust a try. My car has an exhaust system on it but it's pretty well rusted out. The resonators look like straight pipes on each end. The side exiting exhaust tips are bent to line up with the resonator. The mufflers are also straight pipes in and out. I think Classic should fit with no mods.
Old July 13th, 2017, 09:01 AM

I just remembered.....looks like the Classic Exhaust is exactly like in my factory manual ie. they probably use all factory bend dimensions so whatever the manual shows is 99% probability what you will get so if your car has a replacement system on it now no guarantee that IT is stock so make sure check your manual.
Old July 15th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Phantom Phixer

The Darkside roster

Wow! This thread has almost reached 200 posts .
And it has become a "clearing house" of information for these cars .
That is exactly what I intended to do , when I started it in 2014 .

60 classicoldsmobile,com members have posted that they have a 61 - 70 big car on this thread .
Here is a list of them , in the order that they posted .

1. Charlie Jones
2. Aliensatemybuick
3. D.Yaros
4. Jetstarjim
5. Oldskeeper
6. m37961
7. Oldsmanic
8. DownBoy
9. aussie oldsmobile98
10. Summerof84
11. KQQLCAT
12. spohn.mike
13. jaunty75
14. oldsboy Dino
15. SHub'68
16. Don R.
17. dpresita
18. Jeff K.
19. Sean Miller 063
20. andyolds 88
21. ghsot
22. dynamic 63
23. bigoldscruiser
24. jetstar88mike
25. olwreckman
26. Frankie B.
27. the oni boi
28. Atomic Myke
29. Star General
30. Classic 65
31. bw1339
32. Kennybill
33. B964
34. Higgins
35. BTW
36. fnshow 55
37. 61 Bat
38. DynamicIdiot
39. JandK
40. Nitroracer
41. peteyb
42. mjmaire
43. SleepyBeaver
44. Ultima 13
45. dennis 30281
46. Human
47. Chevoldjp
48. bkcraun
49. MichiDan
50. Hillbillystarfire
51. Russ
52. payan 64
53. oldsjoe
54. OLDSter Ralph
55. OLDS98VERT
56. Weezer
57. 66delta
58. Vistabrat72
59. Herbie
60. golden rocket
By the way , Joe P. , I know you have a 68 Delta .
If you post on this thread , you can be #61 .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; February 9th, 2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: update 2/7/2018
Old July 17th, 2017, 05:31 PM

Thanks Charlie

Thank You Charlie for starting this thread. Most of the topics in the general forum seemed to have moved out of the sixties and the big cars into the seventies and the Cutlass and 442s etc. I will ask a question here even before going to one of the advisors in the OCA. Thanks again...
Dennis...1962 Starfire convertible
Old August 12th, 2017, 07:44 PM
golden rocket

Guess I'll throw my hat into the ring. 1967 Delmont 88 425 Hardtop Coupe. Picked it up this past February. Showed 69,305 miles when transport company brought it to me. I bought it from the 2nd owner who picked it up at an estate sale, but he hadn't changed the title over, was still open. 425 "P" code 2 barrel engine (9.5:1 C.R.?) turbo 400 automatic, power steering and brakes, pushbutton AM radio and manual antenna, manual air conditioning. Still had the Packard plug wires on it, and points pitted out pretty bad. Lot of stress cracks in lower body of carb, etc...etc...

Interior is original, and other than a hole in the headliner, and 2 splits in the dash pad is very clean. I posted pictures of it last night in good mawnin' thread. Will post again here.

1st car my wife and I bought on time back in 1970 when we got out of the Army was a 1966 Dynamic 88 2 door hardtop. Yes, it was a 425 2 barrel, automatic. The most trouble free car we ever owned. Been looking ever since. This is our 46th anniversary present to us, after 4 kids, countless foster kids and 15 grandkids, we owe it to us.
Attached Images
DSCF0010.JPG (399.2 KB, 57 views)
DSCF0011.JPG (400.7 KB, 56 views)
DSCF0014.JPG (395.2 KB, 51 views)
DSCF0015.JPG (424.0 KB, 46 views)
DSCF0016.JPG (425.0 KB, 42 views)
DSCF0017.JPG (404.6 KB, 41 views)
DSCF0018.JPG (410.2 KB, 39 views)
Old August 12th, 2017, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by golden rocket
425 "P" code 2 barrel engine (9.5:1 C.R.?)
The black air cleaner, if correct, would indicate the low-compression version. The compression ratio is 9.0 to 1.

From the 1967 Olds brochure. Yours would be the second engine from the left, top row.

From the 1967 Olds Dealer Specs book. The 300 hp version of the 425 was the low-compression version. Used regular fuel. Standard in your car, with an automatic transmission, would have been the high-compression, 310 hp version, but the low-compression version was a no-cost option.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !