General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2018, 06:37 PM

Hi all. I just introduced myself in the newbie forum but figured I may as well say hi here too. Just picked up this '61 Dynamic 88. It's a pretty solid car from what I can tell so far and complete too which is half the battle. She's already had a few custom touches done to her which I'm sure you can notice in the pics. I'll be ordering up disc brakes tomorrow for my first personal touch. I think I want to raise it back up a little too and change the wheels and tires. Not quite sure yet on that. The front springs have been cut and the tires rub at full lock. The rear springs have just been pinched. Here she is!

KG0YziZ.jpg

0lzcMU2.jpg
Old August 13th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Forward into the Past

Gorgeous '61. I agree with you on putting it back up closer to stock ride height.
Old August 13th, 2018, 07:17 PM

that is real nice,absolutely love 61s.not sure i would change anything
Old August 14th, 2018, 11:33 AM
golden rocket

One sweet looking ride. You're correct to want to raise the ride height, will ride so much better. To sort of stay "period" 1 inch whitewalls with chrome reversed wheels, and either spyders of baby moon hub caps. How is it equipped? Best of luck with your upgrades.
mike
Old August 14th, 2018, 11:58 AM

Welcome! A very nice looking ride!

How about some interior shots?

Nothing like "fresh off the car carrier" photos!
Old August 14th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Nice ride Beautiful!
Old August 14th, 2018, 07:08 PM

Nice Dynamic 88! I've got the "evil" twin in black. Mine is pretty stock except for the interior; I put buckets in mine too. Very cool car you will love driving it we've put about 4K miles on ours in two years of just pleasure driving. Enjoy, and I too look forward to more pictures.
Old August 16th, 2018, 08:48 AM

Here's some quick shots of the interior. I guess it's from a 62 Starfire. The shifter slots have been filled in on the center console. The console needs to be modded or moved forward because right now I can't open my ashtray as it hits the top of the console. The heater and fan need to be gone through to get working again. Looks like none of it is hooked up and some air ducts are missing. The heater core isn't leaking or bypassed so that's a plus. Not that I need it in SoCal! Windows down all the time! I just ordered up disc brakes from Classic Disc Brakes. Springs are on order too.

rIHzJNl.jpg
zPMqvdd.jpg
xEBEH8V.jpg
Old August 16th, 2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
that is real nice,absolutely love 61s.not sure i would change anything
That thing is Wicked!!!! just put gas in it and go.. i agree and wouldnt change a single thing... hey what size are the wheels and tires?
Old August 17th, 2018, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the interior pics. I have to say, it looks as someone took a lot of pride in their work and it shows!
Old August 20th, 2018, 09:24 PM

I’m pretty sure I’m doing this wrong, but it have a 1965 starfire with a 425 in ‘restoration happening over the course of a few years’ condition. Hope to talk to you guys often as I start this process
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:06 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

63 Olds 98 commercial

Old August 23rd, 2018, 01:17 PM
Phantom Phixer

Cool !!
Old September 16th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Hey guys, my name is Nauman. I just purchased a 1964 Ninety-Eight, all original with 88k miles, no wrecks/paintwork as far as i can tell. Orignal owner as well.
Planning on fixing it up, enjoying for a bit and reselling it after. It has a "rocket engine" Can anyone tell me more about it?

Old September 16th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Forward into the Past

Beautiful car. A nice, untouched survivor. I would try to keep it as original as possible. The "Rocket" V8 is the standard engine in these cars. There was also a "Sky Rocket" V8 that had higher compression, more horsepower and required premium gas.
Old September 16th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Human
The "Rocket" V8 is the standard engine in these cars. There was also a "Sky Rocket" V8 that had higher compression, more horsepower and required premium gas.
All 98's had the Skyrocket , high compression engine . Except 98 Sport Coupes , which had a Starfire engine .
The "Rocket" engine was standard in only Dynamic 88's .

And yes , use 91 or better octane gas .
Old September 16th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by nspec
It has a "rocket engine" Can anyone tell me more about it?
It looks as though someone put a replacement " Rocket " decal on the air cleaner .
That definitely is a "Sky Rocket " engine . It was 394 cu. in. It had 10.25 to 1 compression . (Hence the need for premium . )
It produced 330 HP at 4600 RPM and 440 Ft. lbs. of torque at 3200 RPM .

Old September 17th, 2018, 09:26 AM

The 394 was the last version of the original Olds Rocket V-8 first used in 1949 with 303 cubic inches. 1964 was the last year they were used before being replaced by the lighter 330-455 engine design.
Old October 1st, 2018, 05:30 PM

New Toy followed me home...

Hi All
I've got a driveway full of A-bodies and a couple Toros, but I'm thinking this addition to the fleet should allow be to join this thread! Its a 1969 Delta Royale with the L-32 option, 390 hp 455. It runs, but the tags expired in 2009 so I trailered it home. I haven't had time to really crawl over it, but when I do I'll share more photos and details on the car. John

Old October 1st, 2018, 05:43 PM
Forward into the Past

Nice! I don't remember the last time I saw a coupe like that.
Old October 1st, 2018, 10:14 PM
Phantom Phixer

Nice original car John !
You are a " Darksider " now .

I hope that top is OK under that vinyl .
Old October 29th, 2018, 04:23 PM

Front clip puzzle

While waiting on the body from paint and the engine/ trany from the engine guy I decided to assemble the front clip, if that's what you call it.Quite a puzzle after being on the shelf for ???? years. After it's assembled I'll lift it off of the farmers and park it until the body and engine/trany are installed.
Why do restoration shops and engine builders take so long. It's been over a year.
Dennis
This is my 62' Starfire convertible frame.

Last edited by dennis_30281; October 29th, 2018 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Add info
Old October 31st, 2018, 09:38 PM

Wow, quite the project! I am just starting a 62 Starfire. (hardtop) I will try to post some pics soon. The car is complete and running, but the former owner removed a lot of parts in hopes of having the car painted. Almost 30 years later I bought it. Thankfully, it was stored inside the whole time.
Old November 1st, 2018, 05:23 AM

Starfire

Wonderful, if you go to car shows , especially local, you never see Oldsmobiles. How deep are you going to go with your resto? I started out with just paint, interior and eng/trany and you see where I am $$$$$$$ later. I do have some extra parts to sell that I've collected over the years when you get ready. Good luck and welcome to the Starfire family.
Dennis
Old November 1st, 2018, 02:01 PM

I tried to add a photo, but it's way to large. I will try to reduce it when I have more time. I'm trying not to do a full frame off. the body is in amazing shape, only some surface rust under where the molding that goes down the side. It is complete and original except for the hubcaps. They are of off a later model. I teach automotive technology at Spokane Community College. The collision and refinishing program is going to do all of the paint work, but it will take awhile. So far the only missing parts are the chrome letters and gunsight for the hood. The seats, dashpad and headliner all need to be redone, but amazingly the original carpet is still in great shape! Door and rear panels will clean up also. I am still in the process of deciding how far I want to go with this. I just got it running last week after sitting for almost 30yrs. I rebuilt the carb, cleaned out the gas tank and it fired right up. Runs really smooth. The tires are so old and rotten, I'm afraid to drive it even around the block. The trans goes into gear and it moves though. As soon as I can find some tires to change out on it, we are going to put on the dyno rollers here at the school to check out he trans operation and run the engine to see if it smokes or not. I will keep you updated.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 07:55 PM

62' Starfire

Sounds like a plan. Some places to check for rotten metal. If the car is undercoated get a screwdriver and polk around under the the car in the areas of the floorpans, trunk pan, rear wheelwells and the front bottom corners in front of the doors( you have to pull the front fenders to see these corners)
IvI' not heard the hood ornament called a gunsight, but it fits and I have one when your ready. Those slim-jim transmissions ars different animals to, the gear ratios make them shiftkind of hard and irratic. I'm putting a 700r4 in mine, but that's another story.
Dennis

Old November 7th, 2018, 09:25 AM

Just joining the fun...

P.m

Hello folks, I am the owner of two 1968 Olds 88s: a Delta Costume Coupe and a Delmont convertible. The Costume is in reasonable shape and a few issues while the convertible is a full rebuild. Here is the Costume. Photos of the Delmont later. Quick question...the Costume had disc brakes which is neat, but no one makes rotors for it any more. Has anyone looked at converting their discs to 1968 Caddie discs, or found other work arounds?

Last edited by Delmont1968; November 7th, 2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old November 7th, 2018, 09:36 AM

real nice!!
Old November 7th, 2018, 09:57 AM

Photos of the convertible.

Originally Posted by Delmont1968
P.m

Hello folks, I am the owner of two 1968 Olds 88s: a Delta Costume Coupe and a Delmont convertible. The Costume is in reasonable shape and a few issues while the convertible is a full rebuild. Here is the Costume. Photos of the Delmont later. Quick question...the Costume had disc brakes which is neat, but no one makes rotors for it any more. Has anyone looked at converting their discs to 1968 Caddie discs, or found other work arounds?
Here are photos of the Delmont convertible.

Old November 7th, 2018, 12:11 PM

Am not an authority on the 68 model year. To my surprise, a cursory search of the net fails to find a rotor.

Are the rotors able to be turned? If so, one could go that route.

I cannot imagine the rotor is unique to either the Delta 88 or to Oldsmobile. Perhaps a Hollander Interchange Manual will help in this regard to find the needed rotor?
Old November 7th, 2018, 12:52 PM

Here is a pic of my project 62 Starfire. This pretty much how the car looked when I bought it last spring except the hood and deck lid have a coat of epoxy primer. They were bare metal.
Old November 7th, 2018, 01:15 PM

My buddies 66 Darksider

Wanted to share my best buds mild pure driven street Catalina. It has a rather good running pump gas 455 in it and ran its best pass 1/8 pass two weeks ago. A 8.20@85 which is a solid high 12 in the 1/4 mile. It only has a 2.93 posi in the rear and a 12" converter 2500 with a Th400. Quadrajet equipped , hyd flat tappet cam, Long branch 421 HO style exhaust manifolds, about 9.8:1 , 469 cubes with 6X-4 iron D port heads, RPM intake with a race weight around 4400#
Old November 7th, 2018, 02:38 PM

Rotors

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Am not an authority on the 68 model year. To my surprise, a cursory search of the net fails to find a rotor.

Are the rotors able to be turned? If so, one could go that route.

I cannot imagine the rotor is unique to either the Delta 88 or to Oldsmobile. Perhaps a Hollander Interchange Manual will help in this regard to find the needed rotor?
The current rotors are fine, but below minimum spec (currently at 1.19" and replacement is about 1.22" according to the service manual). No one makes the rotors because this is an "old school" fixed caliper /4 piston design. The 68 Caddies used a more common (or more current) single piston flowing caliper design. I was hoping someone could tell me if the Olds disc brake spindle and the Caddie spindle are the same. I think the Caddie rotor will fit my 88, but not sure if the spindle mounts are the same so the Caddie caliper will mount on the Oldsmobile. If that don't work, then option "b" is place Caddie spindles on the Olds, assuming they fit the Old ball joint connections. There are option c ( put Oldsmobile drum spindles on and use an after market disc brake, which means ditching the original wheels), or option d, which is go really old school and convert it back to drum brakes. So, that is what I have come up with so far...short of finding someone with factory rotor within spec laying around, I need to explore other approaches.
Old November 7th, 2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Delmont1968
The current rotors are fine, but below minimum spec (currently at 1.19" and replacement is about 1.22" according to the service manual). No one makes the rotors because this is an "old school" fixed caliper /4 piston design. The 68 Caddies used a more common (or more current) single piston flowing caliper design. I was hoping someone could tell me if the Olds disc brake spindle and the Caddie spindle are the same. I think the Caddie rotor will fit my 88, but not sure if the spindle mounts are the same so the Caddie caliper will mount on the Oldsmobile. If that don't work, then option "b" is place Caddie spindles on the Olds, assuming they fit the Old ball joint connections. There are option c ( put Oldsmobile drum spindles on and use an after market disc brake, which means ditching the original wheels), or option d, which is go really old school and convert it back to drum brakes. So, that is what I have come up with so far...short of finding someone with factory rotor within spec laying around, I need to explore other approaches.
Joe Padavano was researching this for his 1967 Delta 88. I believe he didn't find any other rotors that would interchange with the factory setup. There is an aftermarket company called Scarebird that makes a kit using different rotors that will work on these cars.
Old November 7th, 2018, 05:35 PM

Very Nice Delta Custom..... I dig the rims.....
Old November 7th, 2018, 05:50 PM

Try this guy he has posted on here many time, he may have what you need..

Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... West Hempstead, New York......

user name on this site.... Mobileparts

Good Luck
Old November 8th, 2018, 04:12 AM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Joe Padavano was researching this for his 1967 Delta 88. I believe he didn't find any other rotors that would interchange with the factory setup. There is an aftermarket company called Scarebird that makes a kit using different rotors that will work on these cars.
Thanks 2blu442! I know about scarebird, which is option c above. Was trying to avoid it since the lug pattern does not match my original wheels. Their are Caddie retros out there that work with the older wheels. That is why I was asking if anyone has tried them.
Old November 8th, 2018, 04:14 AM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by 65B01Delta
Try this guy he has posted on here many time, he may have what you need..

Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... West Hempstead, New York......

user name on this site.... Mobileparts

Good Luck
Appreciate the lead. I will give him a try.
Old November 8th, 2018, 08:25 AM

A good shot of me last month trying out my new 275/60 drag radials
Old November 27th, 2018, 10:57 AM

Me Too!

Personally, I love the full size cars - especially the 4 doors... Currently I've got a 67 Delmont 4 door "Town Sedan." I've had the car for a number of years, and it is a family favorite. While other cars have come and gone through my garage (including a couple of Advance Design Chevys, a Camaro convertible and Mustang convertible) the Olds has remained. I've had a few Cutlasses (My favorite was a 4 door sedan) which I've enjoyed, but my full size 88s and 98s, as well as a couple of full size Buicks, have been my favorites.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a sweet mid-sized 2 door hardtop, convertible and muscle car as much as the next guy (maybe even more), but when I want to simply enjoy driving and working on a car, nothing beats a full-size, 2 or 4 door Oldsmobile. And, while my dream garage includes a few semi-exotics, I'd simply love a 1955 88 4 Door Hardtop, or a 1962 98, or an original 72 98 Regency. Even the coupes I long for are full size, like a 62 Starfire or a last-generation RWD Delta 88 Coupe.

I know. Weird, huh?

Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !