General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.
View Poll Results: Are you afraid of being "Normed"?
Yes, I refrain from posting because I don't want to be "Normed".
25.86%
Norm has no effect on my posting.
74.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Norm wants proof

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Norm wants proof

Norm wants proof that his behavior on these forums drives (or has driven) people away. So lets give it to him. If you are afraid of being "Normed", or not, cast your vote. No need for any other comments, just cast a vote. Individual votes will not be public, just the results, so you need not fear any retaliation. The system will only allow one vote per account.

Last edited by Oldsfan; September 15th, 2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Too dumb to spell correctly.
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Crusty coger, good info I can live with his comments, stays on
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM

I think you miss worded it...no one's really afraid of the goof ball...
But we'd probably all be better off if we didn't GET Normed on a regular basis.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Should I contact all the fellas who left because of him and have them come back here to vote?
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM

If you think that would be a fair representation, then I would say probably so.
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Who is Norm?
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
car guy

My personal opinion is I don't and would not answer people in Norm's style no matter how stupid I think a question may be. I have asked stupid questions myself in the past but that's how I learned.

That being said I don't think he should go anywhere if he does not want to. If I can live on boards that Ed Bigley posts on I can live with Norm. He is a pussycat compared to "Footbraker" (google that username if you want a few hours of entertainmant)

edit :here is what happens when you insult one to many people
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=72850

Last edited by gearheads78; September 15th, 2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by marinus_
Who is Norm?
Norm is a user here. His screen name is 88 coupe. If you are not familiar with him, you probably won't want to participate.

Last edited by Oldsfan; September 15th, 2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Had Norm's ID wrong
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Norm

The first time I posted Norm posted a reply and from then on I was insulted by his comments, it seemed no matter what I said the guy had some kinda smart remark about it and I could not get an edge on. After that I started looking at Norm's posts and what he had to say and I have posted more since then, but Norm has alot of knowledge he just doesn't represent it very well. He is very straight forward and he's not afraid to tell it like it is and that scares people away because most people don't like to be confronted with the fact they might be wrong.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Good god, we are men and women with oldsmobiles...take the info and run.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

As much as I DO NOT LIKE Norm, I don't own this board and I don't think any of you do either. Would I like to see Norm change his style or quit posting? Absolutely. What will I do? I will keep him on my ignore list and I would recommend all of you do the same. I will not comment on another thread about Norm. It is a waste of my time. I will simply log in each time I want to look at this board and he will not appear.
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by captjim
Should I contact all the fellas who left because of him and have them come back here to vote?
What a bunch of crybabies Man if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen

Does Norm Kiss your a$$ NO but it sure sounds like SOME of you want him to.

captjim YOU are on my ignore list
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Just A BaBy {:

Originally Posted by Bosco1956
What a bunch of crybabies Man if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen

Does Norm Kiss your a$$ NO but it sure sounds like SOME of you want him to.

captjim YOU are on my ignore list

Bosco1956 you are on my ignore list
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Senior Moment Member

I for one would like to meet Norm. He's probably an easy going guy like you and me. Or he could be the real ******* that he comes off as on the forums. I say keep him. I couldn't give a rat's *** about his knowledge but the amusement factor of people getting worked up by this guy is incredible. He did it to me too so you're not alone. Like I said, two words. Ignore list. I find the fact I am actually wasting my time commenting on the facts of "Norm" strange. Like who gives a **** anyway. The guys a douche. So ignore him.
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Yes he does come off as being an *******, but he does give good info. Just ignore the way he puts the comments and learn from the info he gives.
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM

I agree.... take the info and run... if I humbly ask for help with my automobile, I am hardly in a position to complain about the way the help is "worded".
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I personally have not been offended by Norm in any of my posts. At the risk of others outrage, I find Norm knowledgeable and somewhat amusing. It's almost like his jabs are political in nature and I have learned over time how to read between those lines. Why wouldn't we keep that knowledge and just deal with the issues instead of the personality? Don't lose Norm. Joni Mitchell summed it up in one of her songs (Pave paradise - you don't always know what you've got till it's gone....) It would be a shame
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Yes I've felt the bite of Norms blunt comments and didn't enjoy it. I would like to hear what Norm has to say and learn from his experiences, but I'd rather not feel like a stupid idiot in the process. I would rather Norm tone it down, but that's up to him to change his behavior or not. I suspect that some people have stopped posting because they felt dis-respected. I stopped going to a local machine shop because of the service I got there, not the product but the attitude of the owner. So I think that's reasonable to believe some people have stopped posting due to being put down. I'll continue to post though, and choose to overlook any rude comments by anyone who posts to my threads. There are people where I work whom I eat lunch with and enjoy hanging out with. There are others that I do what's required to get my job done, other than that we don't interact. That's life. Some people will be my buds, some acquantances, some we'll just tolerate each other. My 2 cents worth. John
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM

No two ways about it, Norm knows his s**t.
No two ways about it, Norm is powerless to offer advice or clarification without being an ******* about it. There are MANY people on these forums who know more than I do, but only one who feels he MUST post information in the most condesending style possible. Even if someone was to make the most ridiculous statement possible, such as "it's impossible to make a 455 Olds produce as much bottom end torque as the 1.0L Mitsubishi 3-banger" they can be corrected without being verbally crucified (okay, that example's a bit extreme, but you get the point). Norm's right when he says misinformation should be corrected ASAP to avoid giving misleading advice, but anyone can do that without being hostile about it; it's not rocket science (forgive the pun). All the power to you if you can ignore it, but after awhile it started getting on my nerves; not just jabs at me (I've never lost any sleep over it), but to EVERYONE he felt is necessary to belittle. Membership numbers on Olds forums are microscopic compared to Chevy, Ford or even Mopar sites. Can we afford to make the Olds numbers any smaller?
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Past Administrator

Already alluded to but to re-iterate. Norm's posting style reflects his reason for using the internet, INFORMATION. Many use the internet for that, and for social reasons so being "social" is important to them. He ranks as one of the top four individuals on this site I would want to hear from if I needed help on my Oldsmobile. I get my social interaction in other ways with other people. I don't care if the poll shows 99% of the people don't like his posting style, he is not going to be banned. Not by me anyway.
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:03 AM
"me somebody" site member

I have opinions on a great many subjects, but don't feel the need to climb to the top of the highest mountain and yell them out at the top of my lungs for all to hear. I similarly don't have a need to have everyone agree with me. I question the need for this thread and the motives of the original poster for creating it. It diminishes the site. As far as I'm concerned, a new Olds person who comes here and reads this thread is as likely to be turned off as aything else they can read here.

Congrats to TWO a-holes who have recently reduced the character of this site with their petty bickering which I would just as soon have had remain private.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

My personal opinion is that the whole country needs to grow up. "Lipstick on a pig"? Get serious. Same goes for comments on a web site. Let's all grow a tad thicker skin and worry about what's important. Nanna-nanna playground comments are not worth the time to talk about them.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

You guys are going to make Norm famous.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Nanna-nanna playground comments
That is so AWSOME!
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I don't care if the poll shows 99% of the people don't like his posting style, he is not going to be banned. Not by me anyway.
That makes you an extremely poor administrator. Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, and a chance at redeeming themselves. But Norm is allowed to continue unchecked, and will, apparently, forever. You know this has been an ongoing problem, yet you choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore it. I work with enough people like that. I don't need that kind of aggravation in my leisure life. They say when it stops being fun, it's time to walk away.

So, I'm out of here. And that's a shame. Not to brag, but I know a little bit, too. As do others on this list. I've helped quite a few members with finding parts for their rides. I've provided help that their local dealerships wouldn't provide. I've given part numbers, applications and sources. And I think I did it all without making asses out of any of them. And I never asked for anything in return except that I not be made an *** out of myself. Apparently that's too much to ask. So, it's all coming to an end. Pity, because I really enjoyed it. How many good people are you going to let leave here?

You keep "Know-it-all Norm." He's a real asset. Enjoy.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Rocketeer Jr.

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)

LOL, ya mean he's not already there?
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM

I have chosen not to vote because although Norm develops a bit of an attitude when replying to posts which I could personally do without, he does not reply to hurt peoples feelings. He does it to ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS. He has posted almost 1,100 times and not to drive people away. He offers his opinion along with his personality. Bickering back and forth when Norm has been rude to you is one thing but I think that the way he wants that bickering is fair. Factual exchange. We've all seen Norm get beat and admit that he was wrong before so if you don't like it put him on your ignore list, no one has made it to mine because I think as a package this is a great site and I value each and every response.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
That makes you an extremely poor administrator...
Sorry you feel that way, but it doesn't hurt my feelings. I am not here to get stroked. If I would have said "Norm will be banned by me" then I would have received Kudos from you. A person can't make everyone happy. I believe I am doing what is right.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Moment

There is more to the internet then cut and dried information, there is also social interaction, I come to this site for both of those reasons.

Dan,
I don't think anyone is looking for a ban, we want norm to wake up and see that his abrasive bull.**** is just that. Why not act like a person with some humanity and humility instead of a f'n know-it-all ***. Laugh once in a while, it might make ya feel better.

I don't care if the poll shows 99% of the people don't like his posting style, he is not going to be banned. Not by me anyway.
That makes the rest of us feel really good and valued as a part of this community.

GOLDOLDS made some really good points in his post. Thanks man..

The only thing I see coming out of this thread is norm being condoned in his behavier, that's wrong. He sours threads with his overt disdain of a few people on this board, after this post I'll be in his sights for sure.

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
legend in his own mind..
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:13 PM

99% of all people can share information on the internet in a polite, courteous and helpful manner. 1% like to hide behind their computer, and while being "helpful", coat that helpfulness in such a poor, smartass manner that their posts eventually are overlooked by others not wanting to put up with the b.s. That's how I feel. He is obviously a very smart man, but seems to enjoy putting down others as much as sharing his knowledge.

IMO, about the only thing wrong with this site is his posts.
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Oldsfan, I understand the purpose of your post, and the point of voicing your disappointment. Oldsguy is one of the best admins you will get to work under however. Leaving would mean you would also be depriving yourself of the all the rest of the great members of the board.

Just a few examples on my end:
z11375ss(Jim)
is a great guy that I met through here and an Olds supporter. I have had the opportunity to meet him a few times and cruise around in his 68. He has recently indirectly helped me out immensely with my Olds. I lost reverse gear a few weeks ago.....oh wait.... he GAVE me a rebuilt trans and just said: "Merry Christmas". I was building my small block, and he gave me his alumicote headers. Just because. Just so happens I cracked the exhaust manifold on my 307 2 days ago.
I burned out a starter on the way to the Byron race.....Popped the trunk, and there was an extra in there because of him. Made it to the race and had a blast all day long. He also gave me a pair of fresh rebuilt aluminum LT1 heads. My brother in Houston was going to use them to drive out of the hurricane that they just got hit with.

2blu442(John) spends a great deal of his money and time just saving old Oldsmobiles, cataloging parts and pictures for all of us, and making anything under the sun available through a simple PM. He sends me odds and ends fairly often, and has kept at least 3 cars by me on the road. If I ever hit the lotto, he's the 1st person I'm going to fly out and wrench with. I'd love to see all his efforts pay off someday. He's probably the most die hard Olds guy on here, and probably won't even live long enough to see all of the oldsmobiles he has saved be restored.

F-85(Josh) Offered out of the blue to help me with my motor swap this weekend just because he loves Olds cars. He is also bringing extra sheet metal over just so we can brainstorm and maybe weld up something cool on my olds.

This is only 3 guys out of the hundreds on the board. There are many more fun times to be had and much more knowledge to be gained.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM

Come on guys are we still in grade school. So Norm offends you.... Like they have said put him on your ignore list. I think this is what's wrong with the good ol USA Way to many people getting their feelings hurt. And want to blame someine else for it .Damn what's next Are we going to court?

And to leave the forum is like a 5 year old taking his ball and going home. Let's everyone just GROW UP

Last edited by Bosco1956; September 17th, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Let's everyone just GROW UP
I find it kind of funny this was used in defense of Norman.

He's a smart guy when it comes to Oldsmobiles...
NO one here has denied it.

When it comes to being socially mature...
just look at his signature quote.

He relishes animosity & antagonism.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Jokers69
That makes the rest of us feel really good and valued as a part of this community....
My intent was to give an indication of my conviction in this matter, not to make any person feel un-important. I sensed that people wanted me to act with finality and conviction so I have. Again, if my decision turns out to be un-popular and I acquiesce to those who disagree with it, then I am a weak individual, one who can be tossed to and fro by any breeze of discontent.

About feeling valued, I hope everyone would be encouraged by my decision. Everyone is free to participate, even if you insult people by the tone of your words. You may not be liked by some of the members, who may put you on their ignore list because of that style of posting but, so what? That would be each person's choice, which it in fact is. It is Norm's choice to post the way he does, it can be your choice to ignore him, by technology, or by will power. Can't you see that you have no chance to coerce Norm into changing his behavior, any more than I have a chance of coercing you to change yours. I believe the level of civility on this site far surpasses that found in most other sites where members are calling one another derogatory names constantly, every day, openly insulting each other on a personal level. The worst I can recall reading in Norm's post is him calling someone a troll, which I personally would not but it could be far worse, think of all the vulgar, subjective, immature pronouns that are out there being used.

Personally, I would like to see this issue come to an end. We have so much more about Oldsmobiles to discuss and share about......ALL of us.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by marinus_
Who is Norm?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWuFRW0lBaI

Old September 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM

thats how I always picture norm

"I'm going to need something to kill time before my second beer, how about a first one" gold
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Normed:

Norm has been norm to me so far
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
No way.. that norm I'd gladly hang out with.
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
Norm wants proof that his behavior on these forums drives (or has driven) people away. So lets give it to him. If you are afraid of being "Normed", or not, cast your vote. No need for any other comments, just cast a vote. Individual votes will not be public, just the results, so you need not fear any retaliation. The system will only allow one vote per account.

Over 2 to 1 in favor of Norm Gotta make you think maybe he's not so bad
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM

I have seen Norm on other sites as well as this one. If he has a wealth of knowledge, I have never seen it. I think this poll is stupid and never voted. I'm not afraid of Norm, but I do feel I know as much if not more than he does. I don't play an ******* either. I have been here long enough to see him try to belittle a couple friends and also try to delve out some bad info. He needs proof? Doesn't he know he's an *******? Whatever, I could really give a shyt what you do with him .

Nick

Quick Reply: Norm wants proof