General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

To start or Not to start?

Old August 31st, 2008, 12:16 PM

To start or Not to start?

That is the question... My '72 Supreme is sitting in my brother's garage while I'm overseas for a few years. I've asked him to start it up once a month and let it run for awhile to keep the all the internal seals all nice and lubricated. Opposing thought is that 90% of engine wear happens in the first 60 seconds of operation. So....should I continue to have the engine started periodically or just let it sit?
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:34 PM

Maybe it would help if he was willing to prime the oiling system before he starts it. Maybe install some kind of fuel shut off so he can crank it to build up oil pressure. Im not positive of this but I think most damage is done from the combustion process and not enough oil/ oil pressure through out the system. Also have him drive it around the block also to keep everything in working condition.
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dan2286
Maybe it would help if he was willing to prime the oiling system before he starts it. Maybe install some kind of fuel shut off so he can crank it to build up oil pressure.
I usually disconnect the ignition coil and crank it over a few times to get everything lubricated. Then reconnect the coil and start er up!
I am not sure if this is the best way to go but it works for me.
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:35 PM

There is a lot of info on the web about mothballing a car. Cars like to be run for some obvious reasons below. If you don't run your car, I'd be concerned with:
Brake system - notorious for rust. Disk, drums, lines, fluid will collect moisture and rust from inside out.
Seals - rotation will give them lubrication and keep them from drying out and leaking.
Moisture - big obvious one here. Make sure storage is dry.
Critters - Mice are incredibly talented at getting into a garage, even if it is well built. They will set up home in your car and slowly tear the most expensive item apart to fortify their nest.
Coolant - Make sure it has good % of antifreeze (rust inhibitor).
I'm sure there are many more.
Old September 1st, 2008, 12:24 AM
Registered

Will the car be insured when it is sitting? and is your brother insured to drive it and is it fully covered in case some yahoo t-bones it or something? You have to protect yourself first, and it only takes once. I have three brothers and I may trust...none of them driving my car. As posted previously, I too have found the biggest problem with cars sitting is the moisture from floors wicking up through the tires and destroying things, you can look underneath sometimes and see the beads of moisture going right up the tires to the A frames. A car should sit with plywood under the tires at the least, and/or heavy plastic covering the entire floor under it. Those real barn finds are the worst for rust because of the dirt floors and moisture, unless it's a bank barn and they are on the upper level with the hay. Starting once a month is fine and won't hurt a thing, normal for a lot of these cars anyway, they made them to the lowest common abuse denominator or they wouldn't have lasted a year when new. Just make sure it is fully warmed up or the little old lady short drive to church once a week sludge will form fast, like grease in a cold frying pan. The tires will get flat spotted so it should be moved a little or overinflate the tires, should always sit with full weight on the suspension too. No need to drive it anywhere really, less chance of something happening to it IMO. Backing in and out should keep the brakes rotors and drums cleaned, but if you keep moisture out they shouldn't rust, mine don't all winter and I don't move it or start it at all. There is a lot online about storage but some does get a little carried away, just use common sense.
Dryer fabric softener sheets all over to keep the mice and critters out, works for me in my barn to keep them out of the tractors over winter too. The cats take care of the ones that get in the house.
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:00 AM

That is some good info! I'll have the little brother pump up the tires, buy some dryer sheets and spread them around the car PLUS get the tires off of the concrete garage floor. I am keeping it fully insured while I'm gone-it's pretty cheap (but that brings up a whole new concern and topic for another thread). I'm paying 'lil bro rent for his garage space--it's cheaper than the offsite storage I used to pay when I was home. I told him he is welcome to drive it on occasion and to turn the A/C on when he does. (It has all the original kit there, including the old "rip a whole in the atmosphere" freon. Still blows cold, but not always through the dash vents )