General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'88 Aero Kit - Possible Scam

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2014, 05:57 AM
www.gbodyolds.com

'88 Aero Kit - Possible Scam

Beware seller has stole all my images and is potentially a fraud looking for a quick scam, located in Alaska

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Hurst-Olds-Aero-Ground-Effects-and-Stripe-Kit-Rear-Deck-Spoiler-/371057707152
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Hurst Aero Kit

This is no scam. I purchased this kit about 20 years ago when i owned an 1984 Hurst/Olds. Never installed it, and now I'm selling it. The kit is in storage so I searched internet for pictures. I found these pictures and used them to represent the actual kit I have for sale.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:58 AM

So, you didn't think to maybe ask him permission to use his pictures? Just because something is on the net does NOT make it public domain.
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:05 PM
delete

On the flip side, let's not be so quick to call something a scam unless we have intimate knowledge. One time I got damaged parts. The guy swore he didn't know and made it right in a round about way. It happens.
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:19 PM

My friend and I must have killed off 2 or 3 of the fake Hurst Aero conversions back in the 90'sthey were so funny looking we couldn't find any one to buy the cars or the kit parts so we used them as demo Derby cars and also raced endoro races with them.we also had a white 85 442 astro with the Aero kit that we tubbed and raced until it fell apart from the abuse.at the time they were not able to be put in the Hurst club.I have seen a nice grey custom Aero conversion on gbody forum but in my eyes its just a spoiler kit on a cutlass.not trying to hurt your sale (I wish I still had the kits in my stock pile seeing that they have become valuable)
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Koda
So, you didn't think to maybe ask him permission to use his pictures? Just because something is on the net does NOT make it public domain.
I thought it was, that's why all the picture hosting sites have the option, public, private, etc.
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
I thought it was, that's why all the picture hosting sites have the option, public, private, etc.
Nah, that's for viewing. Copyright is something way bigger than picture hosting. You own your pictures, just like you own the words you post on this forum. If you want to use somebody's photos in an ad, you should ask permission to do so. Academic works are different, if you had a picture of something I wanted to use in a paper, I'd have to cite it and use the location of the picture and the owner of it so people wouldn't assume it was mine.

In this situation, the bare, bare minimum would be to say that the pictures are from something off the internet and are representative of the ones he is trying to sell. Next step up would be to say where you got the pics and provide a link to the originals. The next step up (where we are getting into the "being a good person category") is contacting him and asking permission prior to just boosting them.
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:56 PM

Don't understand new to this if I buy the kit and put it on my 1985 i can say its a 85 Hurst? It wasn't even on the 1983 and 1984 Hurst.
Old May 6th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Hmmmm, thanks Koda, I learn something every day.
Old May 6th, 2014, 03:39 PM
www.gbodyolds.com

Originally Posted by alaskaguy1963
This is no scam. I purchased this kit about 20 years ago when i owned an 1984 Hurst/Olds. Never installed it, and now I'm selling it. The kit is in storage so I searched internet for pictures. I found these pictures and used them to represent the actual kit I have for sale.
Pull the photos, you didn't ask permission otherwise I would have said yes.
Especially the photo of tge documents, I gurantee you dont have the plaque, serial number stickers or center cap stickers because you needed to register in order to receive those. I got those directly from Doc and the remaining inventory of the decals he had.
As of now you are promising items to a buyer that you don't have which in my book is a scam/fraud.
Post photos of the actual items you are selling or provide full disclosure.
As of now its been reported to eBay verbally with links and overwhelming evidence for the auction to be pulled due to policy violations.
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:18 PM

If it helps the seller I might have the paperwork and decals
From one of the cars I had with the kit.I would need a few day's to look for them but there's a small chance that I still have them and I possibly have p.ics of one of my old cars with the kit
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:24 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slow 86
If it helps the seller I might have the paperwork and decals
From one of the cars I had with the kit.I would need a few day's to look for them but there's a small chance that I still have them and I possibly have p.ics of one of my old cars with the kit
Nice guy that's what car guys should be like. I thought we are here for cars and to help each other out.
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:49 PM

All, this is not a scam. This is one of the kits bought from HSV. I have the registration card, all the paperwork that came with the kit, the templates for the install, the red and silver stripe kit, the Hurst/Olds Emblems. I am sorry I offended so many people. I was just trying to help out an 1988 Olds Cutlass Classic owner with one of the Hurst Aero Kit produced by HSV. I have posted the blank registration card and original paperwork on the listing. I kept these separate in case someone broke into my storage and stole the kit. Without the paperwork its useless. As far as stealing pictures, if you post on internet and don't copyright it, it is free game for anyone to repost and use. I have done nothing illegal. The listing does say it is like the kit in pictures.
Old May 6th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I don't see no harm in this. After all this is rare and somebody might really want one.

I don't post nothing here, Facebook or elsewhere on the web that I am not ready to share one way or the other.
Old May 6th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Almost seems like pictures are worth more than the kit.
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:56 PM
www.gbodyolds.com

Photos are copywrited per Cardomain's legal disclosure, read it!
Your description said nothing about it being like the one pictured earlier either until you were called out.
I've been buying and selling online for over 16 years and have seen it all and have been burned by misrepresentation, it's a big problem with eBay.
And I don't appreciate those who don't see any harm in this, its shady as hell and does not promote a safe marketplace!*
As for stealing photos to show what you have I don't give a dam how rare whatever it is you're trying to pedal, post the actual photos of what you are selling.*
As far as I am concerned, any other serious buyer for that matter who is spending big bucks, you have nothing and no way for anyone to verify its condition. And who the hell is going to want to trust some stranger 6000 miles away that is too lazy to pull the dam thing out and properly present what they are selling.
I can only imagine what happens when it comes time to actually ship it if you can't even pull it out to take photos.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:09 PM

This is what I woke up to this morning. How would you feel?

Dear k_n_snoopy,

Those are my F'in images from Cardomain! Post images of the actual product you are selling you lazy *******! I just got off the phone with eBay legal and they are looking at my page now as well as the raw files I sent them.
Right now you are being viewed as a scammer on 4 Oldsmobile discussion forums.
Remove the photos or your auction will be pulled.

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

Dear k_n_snoopy,

THOSE ARE MY IMAGES THAT YOU STOLE!!! I AM REPORTING YOU TO EBAY AND PLASTERING YOU AS A FRAUD ON ALL THE OLDSMOBILE SITES!

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

1988 Hurst Olds Aero Ground Effects and Stripe Kit with Rear Deck SpoilerItem Id:371057707152End time:May-15-14 23:22:02 PDTBuyer:40385442 (530)100.0% Positive FeedbackMember since Sep-18-07 in United StatesLocation: IL, United StatesListing Status:This message was sent while the listing was active.

1988 Hurst Olds Aero Ground Effects and Stripe Kit with Rear Deck SpoilerItem Id:371057707152End time:May-15-14 23:22:02 PDTBuyer:40385442 (530)100.0% Positive FeedbackMember since Sep-18-07 in United StatesLocation: IL, United StatesListing Status:This message was sent while the listing was active.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:17 PM
www.gbodyolds.com

How would I feel?
Like a fraud and a fool who doesn't have a clue about fair business practices.

I'll post your response shortly... its a good one.

I should just start posting photos of NOS parts to sell the used stuff I have and just say "Its like this but with some scratches..."
I wouldn't make a big deal about it if I haven't been burned so much on poor photos, descriptions and bait and switch tactics on eBay.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:28 PM

I guess you missed the part where I said I won't be home until May 16th. I work over 240 miles from my home. That's why I could not just go pull it out and take pics. I posted the listing so that I would be home at the end of listing and could ship in a timely fashion. I looked for pictures of the exact ground effects kit I had for sale. I am getting a very strong impression you are against anyone else converting their 1988 Old Cutlass Classic to a 1988 Commemorative Hurst/Olds.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Car Farmer

No one should ever "borrow" pictures to represent an item you want to sell. The condition always varies. It's common sense and deceiving to the buyer, especially if it's a high dollar item. If you were to sell something that looks different from what the user received, a dispute will get opened up and a whole slew of headaches ensue. eBay protects the buyer more than the seller. Good luck with the sale.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:49 PM
www.gbodyolds.com

I guess you missed the part where I said I won't be home until May 16th. I work over 240 miles from my home. That's why I could not just go pull it out and take pics. I posted the listing so that I would be home at the end of listing and could ship in a timely fashion. I looked for pictures of the exact ground effects kit I had for sale. I am getting a very strong impression you are against anyone else converting their 1988 Old Cutlass Classic to a 1988 Commemorative Hurst/Olds.
Yeah ok buddy, try and pin me here as the bad guy... I am not against anyone wanting an Aero Kit.
I have a problem with my personal property being used by a potential scammer and by the looks of what you said why the hell would you covienently be out of town while trying to sell a high dollar rare item?
The pieces are starting to come together...
Why the fire sale?
Why wouldn't you wait until you return to properly sell something?
Something is right here... starting to sound more like a scam now.
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:27 PM

Yep, you are always right. I have respected your wishes and deleted your pics. I will post actual pics around 11pm Alaska Standard Time on 15th May. I believe you all will be surprised at the condition of my kit. You can then judge whether I have a legitimate kit or not. Please take the time to look at the listing and call it a scam then. I'm sorry you have been burned in the past, but that is no reason to publicly call someone out when you don't have any proof of such. As a matter of fact, I will be listing used original 1984 Hurst/Olds Hood Scoop, Rear Deck Spoiler and Lightening Rod Shifters on May 16th.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:10 PM
www.gbodyolds.com

You may not be a scammer but you came off as not being legit with something to hide and thats not just my opinion... any successful seller posts photos of what they are trying to sell, especially with the amount of fraud.
I could give a rats *** if people don't agree with me or whatever, I am going to call out a bad deal or whatever and I don't appreciate people associating me with it, thats what pissed me off this morning.
Imagine you waking up to find someone using a photo of your loved one or whatever in a potentially damming way...
I would have been able to help you sell it if you would have contacted me on Cardomain.
I own 4 of these kits, 2 being NOS in the box and not to mention a few parts and all the remaining inventory of decals and such from Doc Watson.
Good luck with the sale.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:19 PM

Yep, you are always right. I have respected your wishes and deleted your pics. I will post actual pics around 11pm Alaska Standard Time on 15th May. I believe you all will be surprised at the condition of my kit. You can then judge whether I have a legitimate kit or not. Please take the time to look at the listing and call it a scam then. I'm sorry you have been burned in the past, but that is no reason to publicly call someone out when you don't have any proof of such. As a matter of fact, I will be listing used original 1984 Hurst/Olds Hood Scoop, Rear Deck Spoiler and Lightening Rod Shifters on May 16th.
Good luck with sale and can you give me info on lightning rods price and what you have.