General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Door latch stuck?

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2014, 04:38 AM

Door latch stuck?

I shut the passenger door on my Cutlass convertible 2 days ago and now the latch will not release. The door alignment is good and was opening and closing well with no binding prior to this. The door panels are off so I could access the mechanisms from the inside the door. I have tried manually moving them further than the door handles move them. Lock mechanism is working etc. sprayed WD everywhere I could. Jiggled and pushed with my wife holding the button in etc. finally I found you can unscrew the striker post from inside the door through a hole in the latch. (Hard to explain but believe me it can be done). After unscrewing the striker post the door will open far enough to see the latch mechanism that locks around the striker post. I can get a screwdriver into it and get good leverage prying while someone pushes in or pulls up on the door handles but still no go. I have been working on this for 2 days trying to be careful not to tear anything up. Does anyone have any suggestions before I loose my mind
Old April 25th, 2014, 07:38 AM

Try taking off the outside door handle. Any pressure on the release lever inside the door will stop it from opening. Worked for me!
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM

Try lifting up on the door using the outside handle or push down on it while pressing the button to open the door.
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:36 PM

Well here goes. Sometimes this works. With the door lock completely unlocked and not activating the door latch. vibrate the door (bang on it on the inside) with a rubber hammer. If your release spring broke inside the latch, gravity can still help release the latch by vibrating the latch assy. When the same spring breaks on later model GM cars, it can keep the lock from releasing. So then the trick is to lock the door, vibrate the latch, then unlock and try to open. May take several tries. Good luck. ~BOB
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:45 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Over the coarse of 2 days with help from my wife pulling, while I jiggled, beat, pryed, cussed, prayed, lifted, etc etc. nothing worked. Today I walked past the car at lunch pushed the button on the door handle and heard a click. I opened the door and can promise you it will not close again until there is a new latch in place