General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I said goodbye to my W-30...

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2014, 07:23 AM

I said goodbye to my W-30...

Well, I just sent my 1970 W-30 down the road. It didn't really hit me until I saw the car being loaded onto the transport... I always get attached to my cars so it is difficult for me. It is a very nice car and the only reason I sold it was to get a 4 speed W-30 car in the same condition.

The interesting part is that the 'new' owner is the original owner! I sold it to the gentlemen that purchased it new back in 1970. I had his name on the Protect-O-Plate and everything. When I called him several years ago to verify the history he told me that if I ever sold it to give him a call. Well, I did and the rest is now history...

He purchased the car in time for his 39th wedding anniversary. His wife knows the car as it was the daily driver for the their first couple of years. I would expect to see this car and story in Hemmings one day!
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:29 AM

Very cool any pictures?
Good luck on the 4 speed
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:24 AM

I understand that. I will be real sad when the Rallye 350 is headed out the driveway. Not because I will miss the car but because of all the memories I had in it. I am known by the entire town by that car. If I only take it one trip through town in the entire summer I will have people for the next 2 months tell me they seen me in it. It is funny how we grow so fond of these things.
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mr442
Well, I just sent my 1970 W-30 down the road. It didn't really hit me until I saw the car being loaded onto the transport... I always get attached to my cars so it is difficult for me. It is a very nice car and the only reason I sold it was to get a 4 speed W-30 car in the same condition.

The interesting part is that the 'new' owner is the original owner! I sold it to the gentlemen that purchased it new back in 1970. I had his name on the Protect-O-Plate and everything. When I called him several years ago to verify the history he told me that if I ever sold it to give him a call. Well, I did and the rest is now history...

He purchased the car in time for his 39th wedding anniversary. His wife knows the car as it was the daily driver for the their first couple of years. I would expect to see this car and story in Hemmings one day!
Well that is a great story! Hope you love your new 4 spd car
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Administrator

It's nice that it was reunited with it's original owner. I hope you get the same enjoyment from you 4 speed car.
Old February 15th, 2014, 09:47 AM

awesome

Nice work! Two thumbs up!
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:25 AM

dont go looking for the original owner of the 4spd W30
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:44 AM

if it had to go...

Couldn't think of a better way for it to happen, . Brings up all kinds of scenarios maybe he really hated to sell it years ago, had to pay for family etc, maybe he always knew he'd get her back someday, etc etc... it is a great story, enjoy your your 4 speed
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:01 PM

MR442, I am so happy for you and happy for the guy who bought it. Mine, which my Dad bought in Nov 69 burned in March 2012 and that anniversary I can't help forgetting;wish I could. YOU TELL THE NEW OWNER SAFEGUARD THAT CAR. i CAN'T GET MINE BACK. HOWEVER, i AM LUCKY IN THAT i NOW HAVE A 65 CUTLASS, LIKE THE ONE WE HAD STOLEN IN 1968. (Never got that one back) I will NEVER get over the hurt and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. When you drive it carry a gun and a fire extinquisher. Mine burnt in my 60X90 building that had an 1800 sq. foot finished apt in it and I thought the car was safe.
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mr442

I am sure those original owners are very glad you sold them that car. I bet their entire FAMILY will enjoy that car. They say, "what goes around, comes around". Maybe some good karma in the future for you. Enjoy the 4 speed.
Alex in Idaho USA
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:22 PM

Great story! Good luck in your 4 speed quest.......
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

How cool and ironic at the same time. Sold back to the original owner, but probably not at 1970 prices! I feel your emotions when it comes to selling a car. Never really hits ya till you see it being loaded or driven away. It's hard not be become attached, but I'll bet the original owner is doing cartwheels to get his ride back!
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:42 PM

Thank you all for the kind words. If it had to happen, this was a nice way to go. Speaking of the 4 speed... that car was actually sold a week before my deal closed!

Well, I guess that means there is another opportunity out there waiting for me. And yes, I could always use some good karma! I will have to change my avatar now.

Thanks again for all of the kind wishes!
Old February 15th, 2014, 09:26 PM
REO

How many other owners did it have and is he to call you if it ever is for sale again?
Old February 16th, 2014, 04:36 AM

Great story. What a perfect way to sell a car you liked so much.