General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM
71'OldsCutty

TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE

between the 71 cutlass and cutlass supreme............im kinda confused i thought my car was a cutlass but the glove box emblem says cutlass supreme....
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by southcarolina803
between the 71 cutlass and cutlass supreme............im kinda confused i thought my car was a cutlass but the glove box emblem says cutlass supreme....
The Supreme was a Cutlass with the upscale trim. Mechanically it is exactly the same as other Cutlii (allowing for engine options, shock tuning, etc.). For 1970-72, the Supreme 2dr HT used a unique notchback roofline as compared to the fastback roofline on the other 2dr Cutlii. For 1970-71 all A-body convertibles were either Supremes or 442s. In 1972 the 442 was dropped as a separate model, so all A-body convertibles were Supremes. The Supreme carried a unique VIN, which will start out 342xxxx in 1971. Keep in mind that the glove box door is a bolt-in part and can be changed with four screws. What matters is the VIN.
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tell me...

Hi South Carolina,
Looked at the link you posted and your car is definitely a Cutlass Supreme, without looking at the VIN.
The 2 door roofline is very distinctive. The CS is commonly referred to as a "notch back" and the 2 door Cutlass / Cutlass S is a "fastback" - more of a sloped rear window and roof line.

The rear quarter panels on the 2 door Supreme have a "squared off" ridge line, while the 2 door Cutlass / Cutlass S have a "rounded" ridge over the rear wheel housing.
On the interior, the Supreme was "upgraded" to a more formal look. Door panels included chromed backing plates for the door armrests and pull straps attached to the woodgrain trim. The Supreme also has 2 sail panel lights. The CS bench seat also featured a fold down armrest which you couldn't get on the other models. To my knowledge, ALL Cutlass Supreme's came with woodgrain facing on the lower dash. Cutlass / Cutlass S didn't. If you were looking out from the drivers seat over the hood, it would be almost impossible to tell that you are in a Supreme except for the hood. It doesn't have the fake "louvers" that were standard on the Cutlass / Cutlass S models. (note: the f85 shared the same non louvered hood as the Supreme).
It also offered a different trim package on the outside of the fender, doors and quarter panels (which I noticed you have on yours)
Badging on the sail panel was a stylized CS with a rocket between the two letters.

HOWEVER, that being said, Cutlass Supreme also came in a 4 door pillared sedan, and hardtop sedan. (personally I think the non pillared hardtop sedan looks better of these two). These models followed the tradition Olds set out back in the early 60's of creating a 'baby limosine' which was their 4 door sedan. My Dad bought a 67 Cutlass 'baby limo' new It was Deepwater Blue. 330 cu.in. and 250 hp 10.5: 1 comp??. Only thing was it had the 2 speed power glide tranny. Still, it went like stink and was fun to drive. Park it in the shade, man it lived up to it's monikker. And it had lots of room.

If you go to your local library, they will have a section on automotives. I'm betting you can spend some time drooling over the picture history of Oldsmobile and the Cutlass Supreme.

Allan R
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
71'OldsCutty

thanks guys, just trying to get to know this car and about it since im not the first owner and the guy i bought it from i almost had to take legal action for the way he did his business so when he dropped the car off there wasnt much said , and now i know the do's and donts off buying cars off of ppl..
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
same but different

I looked at your photos on cardomain. One thing that struck me, it looks like it has a 1970 front bumber....rectangle parking lights versus the round ones for 71.

You might know the factory never put stripes on the trunk lid. Also noticed the eyebrow mouldings and headlight sourounds are painted black. That was done by somebody else.

Did you have the seats done? or the previous owner? I ask because the build sheet "might" have been in the seat cushions. That could tell you a lot.

If you want to get the information off the cowl tag, somebody here can de-code it. It could tell you some things on how if left the factory. It just wont' tell you everything. Its located behind the master cylinder near the drivers wiper arm.
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
71'OldsCutty

as much as i hate it, this car is nothing original that i know of, the paint was changed from a BEAUTIFUL teal color, to this OK white with black stripes, as far as the bumpers, both need to b replaced, the front is rusted and the rear is bent a little bit.i will try to find what you are talkng about, and yes the interior was fully redone....