General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Can a Bucket seat head rest be painted or dyed?

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Can a Bucket seat head rest be painted or dyed?

Hi. Just seeing if anyone no's or if they have dyed or painted a bucket seat head rest? Not sure if can be done. Thanks for any help!
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:25 AM

Yes, dyed using SEM products many threads on here on dying or painting the interior bits on our cars.

Covers are also sold by most all of the usual suppliers. Legendary Interiors.
Old January 28th, 2014, 03:17 PM

Yes, you can use SEM vinyl paint/dye on the headrests with excellent results. I would definitely do that to good condition originals before installing aftermarket ones.
Old January 28th, 2014, 05:44 PM

I just painted mine with SEM. They came out looking great. I have a nice set of white covers new in the box if you are interested.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

^^^ what they said. BTW you can also use vinyl dye and get the same great results. One thing that a lot of folks forget about is the headrest will have a LOT of oil from your hair (even if you have drier hair) on it, plus any accumulation of chemicals if you use things like armor all. Before you dye or paint the headrest, it's absolutely imperative that you degrease and prep the surface well for the dye or paint. Otherwise the results may not be acceptable.

I dyed my rear seat and also the OEM carpet / lower door panels with black. The fumes are pretty strong for awhile. I ended up using 2 coats just to make sure there was uniform coverages.

This is the stuff I used, and recommend. Inexpensive (14.00/can) at most auto stores.

The new vinyl dyes are guaranteed not to leach into clothes.
Old January 29th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Ben

YES and NO.

If you have original headrests- then yes, if you follow all the prep steps (to clean the hell out of them) you can dye them and it'll last a long time. I like SEM products and have had really good luck with it in the past (i've dyed headrests and covers before)

If you have (or are thinking about buying) reproduction headrests- the answer is No, you can't dye them.
Something about the way they make them-, the release agent for the mold... the plastic itself... who knows what it is exactly- but the vinyl dye will peel off in short order, no matter how good a job you do prepping them.
I've read about it, and I've seen it first hand. Don't waste your time and money trying.
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:37 AM

When everyone here uses the term dye ........ are they using "dye" from a paint can? If so isnt it painting?

When i think i dye , i think of a material getting submerged in a liquid colorant.

Do any of these companies actually label or call their product dye?
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:57 AM

Sem's call their product dye, not paint.
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:27 AM

The temperatures seem to have to be warmer for the dye also. Like above 70 degrees. I had issues this winter using the duplicolor when it was 55 in my garage. I just redyed the my rear panels when it was warmer and they look good.
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
Sem's call their product dye, not paint.
In spray can form their flexible product line, which is branded Classic Coat, is described on can as a coating. http://www.semproducts.com/index.php..._file/611/258/

Below Pulled from SEM's website (note it states it is not a dye).

Which product do they call dye?

Product Description
COLOR COAT is formulated to match, restore or change color on most vinyl surfaces, flexible and rigid plastics, carpet and velour. Fade resistant and flexible, COLOR COAT is not a dye, but a permanent paint coating.
Currently available in over 50 aerosol colors including 3 blacks, 3 clears and a selection of OEM automotive, bus and marine colors.
The COLOR COAT MIXING SYSTEM contain 9 toners and 3 clears to offer limitless color combinations. Formulas are available for domestic OEM colors beginning in 1976 and are updated with each model year.
For additional versatility, 15556 FAST ORANGE, 15576 MAGENTA and 1558( ) BRIGHT RED are available. Note that these toners are not bundled in the MIXING SYSTEM.
13038 COLOR COAT FLATTENER may be used with all COLOR COAT intermix formulas giving the user more versatility when matching low gloss OEM colors.