General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rats under the hood

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:51 PM

Rats under the hood

OK, guys and gals! My daughter in law has a late model Toy**a 4 runner that during the week she parks outside the house that she is renting. She had the oil checked the other day, and when they raised the hood, looked as if some rats may have been trying to make a nest under there. Car is driven daily, and to the beach at Bolivar Island for long weekends. Anyone have any experience with this problem? Think I heard moth *****, but how do you mount them under the hood? An/and/all suggestions will be considered, and tried, probably. THANKS!
Aron
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:00 PM

Possibly squirrels? I had the same problem a few years ago. Squirrels were chewing on the wires/hoses on my wife's 4 runner.

Don W
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:07 PM

Have you ever smelled moth *****?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442

:-)

Really?

I thought this was another discussion about big block chevy engine transplants.

Critters....
Traps
CATS
smelly stuff
grease on all the exposed surfaces might make it unpleasant to stay.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:31 PM

Aron, Living on a treed lot, I have dealt with squirrels chewing electrical wires as well as ignition wires on multiple occasions. They are rats,,,….tree rats, and are still rodents regardless of the general perception. They are very destructive to cars on several levels. I always keep 4 slightly opened boxes of moth ***** placed under the hood of the cars that stay outside wedged in between wheel wells and the fenders as well as next to the battery. Wherever it is convenient, but not on the engine. The smell is minimal, especially after they have been under there a day or two. The Cruiser has fallen victim twice, the Cadillac got hit once, and the Caballero had got chewed once. I also keep a .22 Benjamin pellet rifle in the garage, even with iron sights I have dumped every one that loitered my driveway into the ditch. This method can be as entertaining as practical. Red fox pee will also keep them away, but smells something God awful. Habanero sauce will also deter them, but makes a mess, and could potentially put you in a world of hurt if you work on the car and happen to rub an eye. I hope this helps
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:36 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
no my nose is to big to get between their little legs ? why do you ask ?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
This made me laugh out loud!! God I wish I had been that quick!!
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Squirrels can do a lot of damage. You have to either trap them or use the recommended method above. They will keep coming back.

Octania I thought the same thing, lol.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:09 PM

You already heard the joke!
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:20 PM

Brand is Toyota. Not Toy***a or whatever cutesy "I want to make it look like an expletive" baloney that is in fashion these days. They employ enough people in the USA to be shown some respect.

That being said, leaving the hood slightly ajar will remove the shelter. Squirrel traps, the small live animal ones, work ok. Investing in a cat might work. Sticking a shop light under the car with a fluorescent might make it bright enough under the hood they won't go there. Most important thing is to check daily as part of start up.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:06 PM

So you have tried this I see? . Just kidding
Old November 23rd, 2013, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Brand is Toyota. Not Toy***a or whatever cutesy "I want to make it look like an expletive" baloney that is in fashion these days. They employ enough people in the USA to be shown some respect.

That being said, leaving the hood slightly ajar will remove the shelter. Squirrel traps, the small live animal ones, work ok. Investing in a cat might work. Sticking a shop light under the car with a fluorescent might make it bright enough under the hood they won't go there. Most important thing is to check daily as part of start up.
WOW! Certainly didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities, especially in a cutesy way. Just thought due to the fact it is an Oldsmobile site, it might (and I stress the word "might") offend someone. Apologies.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 06:55 AM

you dont have to appoligize..first its your thread..second youve been here way longer, and 3rd it was nice to think about how others would feel..

Koda..try some of that stuff called courtesy...and show a member that respect, he'sbeen here way longer than you,,,
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Aron:

I don't think you owe anybody an apology. I know you did not mean to offend anybody. I think that comment was completely unnecessary.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:18 AM

I was looking for this and just found it...it came off the Buick board a few years ago..you think you got problems check this out

Mr Possum is a little p-o'd
possumgn.jpg
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:28 AM

you dont have to appoligize..first its your thread..second youve been here way longer, and 3rd it was nice to think about how others would feel..

Koda..try some of that stuff called courtesy...and show a member that respect, he'sbeen here way longer than you,,,
x2!
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:17 AM

I read Koda's thread about people on eBay and I thought small things bothered him easily. I still think this. To Mr Nance, seeing the "vehicle" is outside maybe a little used litter clay sprinkled under it. All the pests are afraid of cats. Jmo, Ken
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:30 AM

Irish spring hand soap cut up slivers off the bar and place in engine bay Rats mice and squirrels don't like that smell. All of those critters are rodents also chewing gum works to kill them although a slow death dead none the less cant digest it wont pass through no poop.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by marxjunk

Um, sir, that WAS respectful. You'll kindly note that he wasn't called out, wasn't insulted, and wasn't anything'ed other than informed his phrasing was offensive and it wasn't warranted. I would expect the same from anyone here.

Furthermore, I'm very surprised that adult men would go for the "my post count is higher than yours so therefore I am above you" argument. I mean, I could see that on a kids' gaming forum; I don't know about you all, but I've got things I'm a lot more proud of than my number of posts here.

For what it's worth, I simply thought that Toyota employs more Americans than, say, Oldsmobile does at the current time, and was worthy of some respect.

Aron, we're good to go. I've never cared for the asterisks on any car brand, as I own many of which have fans that mutually hate the other makes, and I'd get thoroughly confused if I had to have conflicting brand loyalties.

As for the rest of you all, it kind of defeats your purpose when you jump on someone for speaking his mind in a possibly offensive manner, by speaking your mind in a possibly offensive manner. Glass houses and black cooking reservoirs come to mind.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:28 PM

well, the consensus thought it was an insult looking at the posts after you flamed him..

and so ya know..I and most of the others will take up for you too if need be,,but im sure you are gonna say..i dont need help..i get that in just this post.

as far as post count..he's been here since 2009, you..3 months...he has cred here..you not so much
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM

His phrasing was offensive? really? Your response to nothing is offensive, you have an issue with asterisk placement? Tough s**t! if I spell Toy**a H**a, F**d, and your offended? then's who's the adult? not you. I'll stand by Aron or any other long time respected member of this forum, long before you.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:53 PM

Oh, I understand the post count thing and the time you joined the forum thing very much; I just don't buy into it. I would take someone's experience within a field and life in general over it, myself. Also, I wouldn't let it affect my opinion on whether someone is right or wrong; this isn't a union, there is no seniority based anything.

At least Mark's reply was somewhat civil. Mr. 1969w3155 is letting his rage get to him a little bit, if his typing is any indicator. Cute.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:10 PM

Just put the large snap rat traps under that YODA. Bait with peanut butta. Takes care of
ground rats and the tree variety. Then cook the tree variety!
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Koda for what it's worth, Aron is a member who tries hard to make sure he does not offend. He rereads his posts probably a few times to try and insure it's worded properly before pressing the reply button.

We strive to respect all members here, and yes seniority does have its privileges. I'm sorry you took Arons post out of context, however I also took your post as offensive, not in the message but in the delivery. I hope we can end this argument and let it drop before it gets out of hand. I understand that you both meant well.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:09 PM

Very well. Without acknowledging/admitting any wrongdoing on my part, I shall let it drop.

m371961, YODA is an acceptable term,
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:09 PM

I like the peanut butter/trap idea, just concerned I'd have to deliver my neighbor's cat carcass over with a large trap attached!!

Y'all need to settle down, Aron is a very capable, mature individual. I am certain that he has dealt with a lot worse during the course of his life and his skin is thick enough to cope with such trivial issues. Don't get any ideas for "From My Point Of View" Aron, this material is at best a subject at the Zone Show with some appropriate beverages.

Oh yeah, "For what it's worth"……I feel fairly certain that Oldsmobile had contributed more employment,motivation, and infused more capitol into our still great nation from 1897-2004 than Toyota has.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:27 PM

Oh, certainly, Funk. I never claimed them to be equal. I just think that a company that makes good cars and employs Americans should be respected. I like cars like I like guns. All of them.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:25 PM

FWIW, moth ***** and Irish Spring soap do not repel rats..
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
FWIW, moth ***** and Irish Spring soap do not repel rats..
Well maybe not standard issue sewer rats, but with moth stones I've noticed a significant reduction in issues at my house with tree rats. Then again, maybe it's my personality,…or my aim, perhaps a combination!!
Old November 23rd, 2013, 04:04 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I work for lexus , nice cars , nice pay but that's all I care about. Cars and politics are kind of an oxy moron. Yes toyota pays us. Workers but the profit still goes home to japan.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:02 PM

I have a friend with 300 cars in storage, hes had a bunch go thru his hands...i asked him what he used, he said the best thing he ever had was a cat..the second, bounce dryer sheets...stick it in corners etc..says the squirrels, mouse and rat problem stopped..new ones every 3 months...im gonna try i have a bunch in storage too
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
FWIW, moth ***** do not repel rats..
But they do repel Retro Ranger's nose....