General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New person introduction

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM

New person introduction

Good Day,

This last weekend I purchased a 1965 Starfire Conv. with a 4spd transmission (blue, black interior, white top). I was told about the car from my friend who was asked to put it on eBay, he suggested I come up to see the car before he listed it; i did and bought it

The car came out of an estate it looks pretty solid and unmolested, the radiator hoses even appear to be OE. The car is sporting some very checked bias ply tires.

I was told the 4spd option was pretty rare. Does anyone know how many 4spd Convertibles were made? Theres a 1988 letter from Helen Jones Earley of the Oldsmobile history center in the glove box that states there were (122) 4 spd Starfires built in 65 but didn't state how many were conv.

Regards,
Tad

1965 Olds Starfire Conv.
1956 Pontiac 2dr sedan vintage drag car

Last edited by petritl; June 9th, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM

I bet that is a cool car. Make sure you post some pictures. I have no idea how many 65 Starfire convertibles were made. Then again, just because a car is rare doesn't mean that it is more deisrable. Enjoy your car for what it is, not what someone else says it is.
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I bet that is a cool car. Make sure you post some pictures. I have no idea how many 65 Starfire convertibles were made. Then again, just because a car is rare doesn't mean that it is more deisrable. Enjoy your car for what it is, not what someone else says it is.
Your right,
The car is a liitle to big for my taste but my wife and kids enjoy the convertible and the 4spd makes dad happy.
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Past Administrator

Sounds like it would be a fun one to drive.
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM

I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet

Tad
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM

My other toy: 1956 Pontiac Vintage Drag car
The car in the newsletter article is my car, I have paperwork with Robert Fryes name on it that was left in the car.

pontiaca.jpg
Pontiacb.jpg

Last edited by petritl; June 9th, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM

One that I passed on.
I about bought this a couple of months back, is that an olds engine?

33.jpg
IMG_0744.jpg
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Past Administrator

That poncho looks like fun, a real HOT ROD! Not sure about the engine in the old sedan, if it is, then it is an early V8. Maybe Norm or Joe can ID that one for you.

edit: spelling error
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
We will have to get Rocketraider to chime in here. I think he knows more about this than I do. I believe factory built 4-speed '65 Starfire convertibles to be very rare. Like less than 5? I thought I remember someone telling me many years ago that there was only 1 or 2, but I have no documentation to confirm that. Alot of these 4-speed cars are conversions.

Paul
Is there anything on the car that would indicate this is a factory 4spd?

Data tag info:
General Motors Corp
06B A
ST 65-36667 LAN 527 BODY
TR 340-B K1 Paint
W 2LV
5W

ID# 366675M371884

Tad
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by petritl
........ is that an olds engine?
Yes. Intake manifold looks to be for a 324 with Ford (Stromberg 94 or 97) carbs. Exhaust manifold looks more like 303. Plug wire sleeves are the same as was used on Flathead Fords.

Reversed wheels/slicks are from the early sixties and cycle fenders, from the early fifties.

Norm
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Past Administrator

Thanks for the help Norm, I knew you could come through on that. It sure looks like an old Hot Rod for sure..
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
06B means the body was built the 2nd week (B) of June (06).

I do not know the meaning of the A.

ST 65-3667 is the Style number for a 1965 (65) Oldsmobile (3) Starfire (66) convertible (67).

Lan means the body was built in the Lansing Fisher Body plant.

527 means it was the 527th Starfire convertible body built at Lansing Fisher Body.

TR 340-B is the trim code. The 0 is for black. B is for bucket seats. I believe the 3 and the 4 are codes for seat material and seat type.

K1 Paint are the codes for Ocean Mist lower body paint (K) and black or white convertible top (1). I can't remember if black is 1 and white is 2, or the other way around.

Accessory codes were broken down into 5 groups. 1 is never numbered, 2 through 5 are numbered.

The W in group 1 is for Tinted Windshield only. Check your glass.

In group 2, the L could be for floor mounted 4-speed, but I have no V listing in group 2, so I don't how how accurate my reference material is in relation to '65 full size cars.

In group 5, the W is for Deluxe front (but not rear) seat belts. Check the belts.

The codes that I have are from an ancient article that appearing in JWO that provided accessory codes for Lansing built Cutlasses and 442. They say other plants and other years could be different. I guess full size cars could be different, too. I found these codes to hold pretty true to the Lansing built '67 98 that I once owned. I did some other checking on the internet today and was able to find codes like these for Corvairs, Camaros and Chevelles. All those listed L in group 2 as a manual transmission.

My other concern about the application of these codes to your car is the power windows. I noticed in your picture that you have them. Your data tag should reflect that with an X in group one - UNLESS, power windows were standard on the convertible, in which case the code would not show. I sold all my '65 sales materials, so I don't know.

Hope this helps.

Where's Glenn when you need him?????

Paul

Paul,
What great material.
You listed two oddities I have found with this car.

Tinted windshield, I thought it was unusual the car has a tinted windshield without air conditioning. I previously thought the two went hand in hand.

Front seat belts only, the car only had the front belts. I didn't see any mounts for rear belts at all, should there be? Can seatb belts be retrofitted in the rear (3 kids).

1 = white top

I thought I had read the power windows came standard with a convertible.

Thank you,
Tad

Last edited by petritl; June 10th, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by petritl
I didn't see any mounts for rear belts at all, should there be? Can seatb belts be retrofitted in the rear (3 kids).
I bet you will find mounting spots under the rear seat cushion and if you don't just drill holes and use nuts and lock washers. Lots of people sell re-pop seat belts in various colors and styles, even J.C. Whitney has them. Simple job.

Last edited by Oldsguy; June 11th, 2008 at 04:51 AM. Reason: added info