General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Question about Mondello named companies

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2013, 01:50 PM

Question Question about Mondello named companies

I'm getting ready to rebuild a 400 ci. 'E' motor. I'm some what new to Oldsmobile as a serious participant. I over the years knew the name Joe Mondello being associated with Olds and his successes. I have been recently reading articles written by him about building the Olds engines, good stuff. Now I'm looking for aluminum heads and find 3 different companies associated with the name Momdello, JMRacing, Benard Mondello, and Mondello Performance products. There's lots of ranker being expressed on the internet about Mondello Perf.,doesn't sound good. JMRacing is Joe's wife Mary and??. Benard Mondello can only be found on ebay, he sounds as if he's got the right attitude at least. MY QUESTION is, are the heads being sold by these 3 companies the same? I know Joe passed away in 2010 so ?? Who is the best bet to be dealing with, any Input? Thanks!
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Don't do anything until the guys on this forum give you the "whos who and whats what" and where to buy parts.
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Old Olds Fan
I'm getting ready to rebuild a 400 ci. 'E' motor. I'm some what new to Oldsmobile as a serious participant. I over the years knew the name Joe Mondello being associated with Olds and his successes. I have been recently reading articles written by him about building the Olds engines, good stuff. Now I'm looking for aluminum heads and find 3 different companies associated with the name Momdello, JMRacing, Benard Mondello, and Mondello Performance products. There's lots of ranker being expressed on the internet about Mondello Perf.,doesn't sound good. JMRacing is Joe's wife Mary and??. Benard Mondello can only be found on ebay, he sounds as if he's got the right attitude at least. MY QUESTION is, are the heads being sold by these 3 companies the same? I know Joe passed away in 2010 so ?? Who is the best bet to be dealing with, any Input? Thanks!
Bernard Mondello is Joe's son and does an outstanding job of building ProComp aluminum heads for Oldsmobiles.

Mondello Performance is now run by Lynn Welfringer, Joe's former business partner. Few here have nice things to say about Lynn.

I don't know anything about JMRacing.
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:21 PM

The JMRacing outfit in TN was formed by Joe after he left California, they have built more than a few strong Olds motors. One of the guys posts sometimes on ROP.
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:45 PM

Thank you guys, my project is topped with the 66 tri-power induction I have yet to understand its potential or limitations. I'm building a street motor not to race. My concern is future octane content of the fuel we can buy and how this should be factored into a current engine build. I want to go to aluminum heads because of detonation issues. I'd like to build a torque monster for low and mid range rpm, that's why I chose an Olds. I know of the Edlebrock heads and that Joe Mondello was supposed to be a factor in their design, but I guess the question is, were they his latest effort or are any of the heads offered by the Mondello companies a 'better effort'. Again I remind everyone of my 6500 rpm MAX limit. I know of the unavailable Bulldogs, Dick Miller,and Rocket Racing all of these heads seem to be purposed for racing. Aluminum heads for the street what's best?
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:07 AM

I want to thank all the contributors, I think I got it, (Edlebrok for me). It's a shame that Joe's reputation has been maligned by these guys sucking off his legacy. Certainly Mondello Performance is using his rep. no where on the sight do they admit that he's been gone from the business for years and all the on site promotion is about his accomplishments, SAD!! As to Benard and Pro-Comp heads, well, 'you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. To be fair I haven't read anything bad about JMRacing only that they are working hard to disseminate Joe's knowledge to a new generation of Olds engine builders and undoubtedly are helping the Tennessee economy in his home state. See Joe Mondello Racing Engines - Crossville, TN thread here.
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:20 AM
"me somebody" site member

Can a tricarb manifold be used with edelbrock heads? I'm guessing the average guy who goes with ebrock heads also uses an aftermarket aluminum intake as well...hence my question, possibly a silly one. I just can't picture a stock cast iron intake on top of aluminum heads.
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Can a tricarb manifold be used with edelbrock heads? I'm guessing the average guy who goes with ebrock heads also uses an aftermarket aluminum intake as well...hence my question, possibly a silly one. I just can't picture a stock cast iron intake on top of aluminum heads.
The E-brock heads will bolt up to any stock BBO intake and exhaust manifolds. This, in fact, is the one main compromise on the E-brock heads that restricts ultimate performance. Maintaining compatibilty with stock manifolds prevented them from raising and opening the ports.
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:08 PM

I'm counting on Joe being right about the bolt up. While I'm got everyone's attention is there a discussion or any knowledge bank regarding the 3 deuces induction set up from 1966 on site? I've been searching but can't seem to find anything specific.
Old July 5th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Mak

I wouldn't trust him...