General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1971 Olds cutlass passenger door stuck!

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2013, 04:27 PM

1971 Olds cutlass passenger door stuck!

so have definitely have tried spraying the latch with lube, degreaser, etc. I cant for the life of me break it free to open my passenger door. I tried hold latch open and pulling on door, as well as holding open and shoving from the inside. It latches shut normally, and is very snug. it will unlatch and move about an inch or so out, but then stops after that.

what else can i do to possibly break it free to get it opened so i can replace the latch system completely just to be safe?

any and all responses would be appreciated.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:54 PM

anyone willing to help?
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Have you tried to remove the door panel, and operate the mechanism from in there. I think something is out adjustment not allowing it to fully release.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Have you tried to remove the door panel, and operate the mechanism from in there. I think something is out adjustment not allowing it to fully release.
That is the first thing I thought of also. Remove the door panel, open the door, and access what is going on.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:23 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Door panel is going to be fun to get off with the door closed.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:41 PM

I've had this happen before back when these were just old cars(about 10-15 years old) but I can't really remember what it was. It seems like it was a rusted/corroded door latch that wouldn't allow you to unlock the door. When you pull up on the lock does it "clunk" or just act like it won't do anything? I do remember I had to take out the door panel from the inside with the door (of course) closed, which really screwed up the cardboard/vinyl panel. Then I could reach in with a screwdriver or something and get the latch to open and the door could open,then could remove latch and then get fixed properly. Not a good deal.. It's been a long time ago sorry can't remember better. Good luck.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:22 PM

I had a similar problem with our '72 convertible. But we have a weak frame which, I think, put extra load on the jamb. You may want to try jacking it up by placing a jack on the frame in front of the door, removing some of the load and trying again. Putting the jack in different spots may change the results also. I ended up removing the door panel and shortening the rod that runs from the handle to the latch by bending it. That solved the issue from the inside. The outside needed the rod on the push button to be longer. Basically everything was worn out. We still need a better frame for the car but at least the door does not stick anymore.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I have also had a problem years ago with the metal rod that sticks out from the outside door handle button being slightly bent, preventing it from fully depressing the latch, causing the problem that you describe.
In my case, if you pushed the door handle down toward the ground while pressing in on the door bitton, it would open.

- Eric
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:24 AM

interior is stripped, so panel is already removed. that is how i was able to spray the latch with a degreaser to hopefully loosen up the latch. there is no door handle on the outside so its reach a thumb in there and press the latch. I hear the clunk of it latching over the pin to actually secure the door, and it releases enough to pull away from the pin about an inch but after that its a struggle. i have tried lifting on the door with someone wiggling it from the inside to try and open that way, tho i have not tried lifting from the frame to see if any sag is causing the door to bind. wouldnt that cause the drivers to stick and bind up as well? i presume the hinges are saggy so that is causing some issues but still. im gonna try and put a jack under it tonight to kinda help get some pressure off it, as well as respray the latch from the inside and then start tugging while rubber malet tapping the inside to see if we cant vibrate the bastard open.

wish me luck.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wait, is this a convertible? How's your frame?

- Eric
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Wait, is this a convertible? How's your frame?

- Eric
Not a convertible. Frame looked relatively solid without droop from what i see
Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:35 PM

OK, I'm not sure if this is the same design as 1967 but I once had a door that wouldn't open and found a spring that was broken. Once I replaced that everything worked fine. It's only a couple loops, maybe the diameter of a nickel.

John
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:05 PM

where do i need to stab into to to try and open up that latch to get the door opened? i have open door panels, so i can get at the back side of the latch as best as possible. thanks